Topic: Dynaverse Multiple Computer in one LAN  (Read 7115 times)

Offline rodrommel

• Ensign
Dynaverse Multiple Computer in one LAN
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:46:50 pm »
Is it possible for multiple computers in one LAN to be able to play in a Dynaverse server? I know forwarding the ports to multiple computers will not work because two computers cant share the same port. So is there a different port to which the second computer can listen in?

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: Dynaverse Multiple Computer in one LAN
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 08:17:10 pm »
A question I am interested in also.  If there is a way to set my router to run two op installs at once, I would look to get another game so my son and myself could play online.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Tuscarora

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 12:31:06 am »
Trying to figure this out out myself.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 12:47:11 am »
This is a hard one, if there is a way I'd like to know.  But all my attempts thus far have been failures.  Port Forwarding won't work, and likely both computers would have to be exposed to the Internet in order for it to work.

I think the answer is probably going to be no.  Now, something else I'd be interested in knowing, Dynaverse Servers have to go through the Directory Server in order to connect, and I was told (as of two years ago) that there was no way around that.  Are the Directory Servers just that, a place where you can find all the Servers, or does their connection linger well after you select which server you are on?  If it doesn't linger, something you could do, and something I may do myself, is set up a private server that can be accessed from different computers on the LAN.  Since your LAN addresses are different, there shouldn't be a problem.  If this would work, I could set up the Errand of War Server that's been on the back burner for far longer than I wanted it to be.  It's on hold because I haven't had the time to test it, but if I could set it up on my LAN, I could dragoon my roommate and a couple of other friends into testing it with me.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Tuscarora

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 11:07:00 am »
Sad part is a minor change to the source code should allow for multiple ports to be used.  Other games allow you to set a client port.  I would kill for a look into the source code.  There are a number of us old timers who have younglings who could play with us all in Dyna but for the connection issue.

Only thing I can come up with is get your ISP to provide you multiple connections and I am not sure what they will charge for that.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 12:57:56 pm »
You need different Public IPs.   
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Tuscarora

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 10:44:09 pm »
The crew from artofping are working with me to resolve this IF possible.  More later.

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 09:37:43 am »
You need different Public IPs.   

ahh, that says it all. I use an unmanaged switch with my 3 compys (for in home play) with my modem connected to the switch as well but there's no way to log into my internet account twice simultaniously (for 2 IP addresses). The game code will have to be changed.
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Tuscarora

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 09:26:28 am »
I keep wondering if they could add a clientport option similar to half-life.  That way you can choose the ports opened.