Topic: 1080i LCD TV as PC monitor?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
1080i LCD TV as PC monitor?
« on: July 17, 2007, 10:59:01 pm »
Question, when using a 1080i LCD/Plasma TV as a PC monitor, can the resolution of run at 1920x1080?  I know this is higher than the native resolution, but will it work?
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
Re: 1080i LCD TV as PC monitor?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:58:40 am »
Just offhand I'd say that anything above the native resolution of any monitor woulnd't work overly well. At the very least you would have part of the desktop off the screen.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:44:32 pm »
It might or it might not. You might get cropping or other visual distortions on the screen. It's best to check the manufacturer's website.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 09:53:02 pm »
As I understand it the "i" in 1080i standards for interlaced.  There is a reason why interlacing is no longer used on computer monitors.  That may make it less than ideal as a monitor. 

Also plasma is expensive with a short lifespan.  In addition there have been lawsuits over plasma TVs experiencing burn it of images, not good for a monitor.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 01:14:01 am »
Native resolutions for most 1080i LCDs are 1366 x 768. 1080p can dispay that resolution.

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:18:51 am »
plasma's having short life spans is more a thing of the past. They're much better now.
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:54:45 am »
Even if it works, you'll likely be dissatisfied using an interlaced display for a PC

Good write-up at Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 05:57:11 pm »
plasma's having short life spans is more a thing of the past. They're much better now.

How much better?  Any improvement on the energy usage?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."