Topic: A short fragment I wrote a while back  (Read 4754 times)

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
A short fragment I wrote a while back
« on: July 23, 2007, 09:10:11 am »
Land's End, England
3rd March 2542
0800hrs EST

He knew the journey was ending, but he still didn't want to accept it. That was the problem with living this long - you get used to the idea of living forever. So you put off all manner of things, until one day you realise that you aren't going to live forever. And there are so many things left to do.

Of course, it wasn't even old age claiming him. Too many battles, too many wounds. His body had decided enough was enough. Time to go. And he knew that he would live on even when this body died. But still....he didn't want to accept it.

"There's too much to do. I'm not ready, dammit. I'm not ready!"

The sea breeze battered him, making him shield his eyes from the spray. He turned, retreating to the shuttlecraft that he'd parked a little way back from the cliff. Back to the warmth of a spaceship's cabin.

He clambered into the cockpit, every bit of his body protesting as he wriggled into the seat. When he'd built this ship he'd been in much better shape. Time had been pretty kind to her though - she'd only needed rebuilding twice, unlike her pilot. He remembered building her, with his friends. Those were fun times. Times full of friendship, and love. Despite the battles that had raged back then, and were still raging now, he'd enjoyed that period in his life. But time had claimed his friends, had claimed her, and now he had no-one. And yet....he still wasn't ready to move on.

He launched the shuttlecraft, heading back up into the blackness of space. The ship was waiting for him there, still as beautiful as the day he'd first clapped eyes on her. Time had been kind to her as well. He'd been able to use his influence to keep her flying, and both ship and master had settled into their twilight years - training up kids to become the next generation of space heroes. It was a huge honour to fly with him, apparently. He never had quite understood that. Sure, he'd saved the galaxy more times than he cared to remember. But so what? Other men had done the same, and they were all but forgotten. So why was he special? Why was the ship special?

"Shuttlecraft Spitfire, come in please."

"This is Spitfire."

"Sir, the computer has just flagged up something on our LRS. A strange energy pattern. It lists it as something called 'The Gateway'."

His breath caught in his throat. The Gateway. The Gateway to the Nexus, to the next life. A way back to his friends and his wife. But a way that meant death for his body.

"Speed up the landing procedure. Lay in a course for the source of the readings. Maximum transwarp once I'm aboard."

Admiral James Smith sat back in the seat as the computer took over the landing, his eyes squeezed shut. The Nexus. Maybe it was time, after all. Maybe this was the sign that it was time to go home. He opened his eyes in time to see the hull of his ship slide by, her name proudly illuminated for all in space to see.

Tigermoth.

Thinking of expanding it into a full story at some point. Will be a long time off yet though, given that I have ROTA on the go right now. Reckon I should go for a story that far into the future?
RIMMER: Step up to Red Alert.
KRYTEN: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
Re: A short fragment I wrote a while back
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 12:20:49 pm »
2542...  ROTA is in the 2490's isn't it?

I say go for it, but don't go *too* overboard on new save-your-ass tech :)
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 01:52:09 pm »
2542...  ROTA is in the 2490's isn't it?

Currently in the (Earth) summer of 2395.

I say go for it, but don't go *too* overboard on new save-your-ass tech :)

Yeah, there are a lot of pitfalls in writing a) too early in the Trek universe and b) too far into the future. In both cases you can have terrible trouble getting the tech level right.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:52:26 am »
Not bad, and yeah, I'd like to see where it goes.

All these dramatic resurrections...chances to live forever.  Always sort of pictured La'ra falling asleep after telling his grandkids some old war story and never waking up, a smile on his face being the only indication that he was dreaming about a sextet of Orion slave girls as he passed through the gates of Sto'vo'kor.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:48:49 pm »
Not bad, and yeah, I'd like to see where it goes.

As I say, It'd be after ROTA is done and dusted. I haven't decided if I should run with this one, or finally[/b][/u] finish the "Vengeance" story arc that fills in the gaps of the Smithy-Metcalf war. I reckon I ought to get on with that one post-ROTA, given how long I've been putting that job off. We'll see.

All these dramatic resurrections...chances to live forever.  Always sort of pictured La'ra falling asleep after telling his grandkids some old war story and never waking up, a smile on his face being the only indication that he was dreaming about a sextet of Orion slave girls as he passed through the gates of Sto'vo'kor.

;D

That would be very....appropriate.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 07:05:26 pm »
I've read this 'n twice. Not sure how I feel about it, but I'll say it's well writen as always.

For Governor Ron'jar, late of the Hiv'laposh and other ships...I'd say either death in battle, sacrificing self and/or ship to save the Empire or he'd finally retire back to Goesa'vaina. I could see the death in battle being personal combat just as easily as space battle.

For Captain Dath'mar... I'd say he'd likely just bite off more of a target than he could chew and get his ship stomped. Yeah... As broadly thought-out as he is in my mind, he is decidedly short-sighted. After all, he is intended to be the 'the bad-guy' Klingon.

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 08:46:46 am »
I've read this 'n twice. Not sure how I feel about it, but I'll say it's well writen as always.

Could you give me any more than that, guv? Anything in particular that makes you unsure about it?

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 05:49:40 pm »
Damn, I really wish there was.

The whole living beyond your normal life thing is, of course, a staple of scifi. 60-100 years is not a hell of a long time when you really think about it. So if technology ever gets to the point where you can practically live forever, then why not? But how much is too much, story wise? Keeping a character burning along can have detractors and cheapen a the world you write in and the character you're using if you continue to advance the time period you are writing in...

Maybe I'm babbling. Firstly, is there more to this one, or more on the way? It seems like the beginning of a longer story, but the way you present it as 'a short fragment' makes me wonder.

Anyway, I'm still not sure how to properly comment on this one.

--thu guv
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline James Smith