Topic: #13: Intel  (Read 11587 times)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
Re: #13: Intel
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 10:13:19 pm »

CH. 7

Ford dropped the data PADD and looked across the surface of his silver desk.

“Remind me to never send the three of you on any more shuttle rides. Even to deliver the mail.”

Commander Davenport and Lieutenants Bronstien and Smith each smiled back hugely at the joke. They had lived through a harrowing situation and come out none the worse for wear. Now they could look back on their mission five days ago with humor. It would not have been so grand for them had they incurred injury, of course, but the worst among them had only suffered light radiation absorption.

Ford looked back to the lists of intel glowing on the PADD’s screen.

“You observed at least seventy vessels of combat capable size. Sixteen more under construction.” The commodore leaned back into his seat and let out a sigh of exasperation. “No wonder he could afford to send twenty odd ships out after us. He wasn’t depleting his forces by doing it.”

“I think Command may rethink its position on Jarn’s threat level.” Ron commented. “With that many ships at his disposal…”

Ford frowned, thinking back on the communiqué he’d received nearly a week before.

“Command is shifting our priorities for a little while. Our larger capitol vessels are going to be skipping out of the sector now and then to watch over the Klingon withdrawal from Goesa’vaina. To end the war between the Empire and the Mirak over the Juramik Stretch, the Federation Diplomatic Corps. has convinced the Mirak to return control of what they seized half a century ago. In return, the Goesans will be returning to a self-governing nation.”

The three officers took this information in. Ford did not include the details as to what the Federation gave the Mirak in trade. That was still classified intelligence. Smith and Bronstien were too young to know very much about the occupation of Goesa’vaina in ’74. Ford had been there. He’d been the navigator aboard the previous Endeavour under Captain Sharp’s command.

“I’ll brief our Command Base about this intel. They’ll likely have a sh*t-fit about how I got it. I’ll deal with that end. You three, and Nurse Tyler, however, will be recommended for commendation. Which reminds me, how did our lady nurse perform?”

Both the younger men burst out in wide smiles, making Ford wonder what was going through their dirty little minds. Ron coughed and looked to the deck. Even he was slow to respond. Ford’s brows rose and inch. “Something I should know about, gentlemen?”

Ron glanced up sheepishly.

“Well, she performed excellently… But it got rather…hot…onboard the shuttle.”

“When you were observing stealth protocol…” Ford intoned.

“Yes… Well… Us men didn’t have any problems stripping down enough clothing to manage… And…neither did she…”

Ford’s growing grin stopped in its tracks.

“She didn’t get naked, did she?”

“No…” Ron returned swiftly. Johnathan was shaking his head back and forth in memory. “Not quite. But she didn’t mind taking off her shirt. She kept her…undergarments on… But it was still so hot after the fighting…she forgot to put anything back on for a while.”

Ford nodded, seeing where this was headed.

“And, of course…y’all failed to remind her quickly.”

“Yeah…” Ron shrugged defensively. “After what we’d all been through…It was a nice diversion.”

“I’m surprised you boys didn’t wreck Sanchez on the way back.” Ford told them. He picked up his glasses and put them on in preparation to read over the finer details of their reports. “I’ll call you in first thing tomorrow for a final debriefing. Dismissed.”

The commodore watched them go. They cavorted and carried on as friends, probably more than they should have given that Ron was the exec. He didn’t mind. Let any one who wanted to object. They were his crew. He’d lead them any damn way he wanted to. And they were the best officers he’d worked with in a long time.

END.
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007, 11:30:23 pm »
Pretty awesome.  While the scenes with Ford push his character along nicely, this one certainly belonged to Davenport, Smith, Bronstien, and Tyler.  All the best scenes, all the interplay that makes ya' go 'heh' is with them, and there's a lot of it.

Loved the bit with Tyler reminding Davenport of the time limit and his increasing irritation with such.  Amused by the very 'TOS' ending, too.  Seemed uncharacteristic, but entertainingly so.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 02:00:33 pm »
Well I'm repeating myself, but I think the cammeraderie and the little things like the ones Larry described above or even the one earlier (again Larry) make you better then most actual writers. It's not just text, it's a tale.

OT though, nice to see the rest of the world is still going on without the Ya'wenn threat. Nice side note. And if a hot number didn't mind staying out of her clothes, I wouldn't mind either. Still, on a critical note, I didn't feel the urgency of those 7 minutes... Perhaps that could use a little more. But maybe it's just me. Larry? Andy? Anyone?
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 08:48:43 pm »
You're right. There's little sense of urgency in those 7 because Ron doesn't seem worried. His compatriots aboard the shuttle do seem to be, but they're on the other end of a radio, so there's no real discription to it.

I might give 'er another edit and see if I can't touch it up a bit.

Anyone else got a pointer about how to make that one better?

BTW, thanx to both of y'all for the comments. Glad y'all are likin'.

#14 has little to do with the Ya'wenn, and is actually the writen version of a Trek dream I had. The actual story comes out much different than the dream did, and the dream wasn't movie era, but both the dream and the story seem pretty cool to me. Hope y'all like it as well.

#15 is the last one I finished. Took me forever to get it done 'cause I was totally out of Trek steam. It sees the finale of some of the overall plotline that has been around since Story #1. I'll start posting #14 soon.

--thu guv!!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 07:12:30 am »
Perhaps a view from their end might make it more palpable. Having all of them sweating / worrying / trying to stare through the hull and maybe having a huge red display with the time left for Ron where they all are glacing at.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 11:19:57 am »
I actually like it how it is...great Davenport scene.  He's not worried, and other folks being all nervous is actually irritating him. ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 09:41:39 pm »
Woot. Any other opinions?

--thu guv!

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 02:27:17 am »
just an opinion, no analysis, least not tonight.

Liked it.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 11:32:03 pm »
So...has everyone who cares to finished this one?

I ask so I'll know whether to make time to Andy-Proof (TM) the next one.

--thu guv!

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2007, 03:33:15 am »

Nothing to dislike here. Flowed well and kept the reader interested all the way back to 23.

Ya'weenies v. Ya'weenies, eh? From a tactical standpoint, Jarn single-minded war-craze has created himself a very bad situation. He *might* be able to pull his butt out of the fire, but having both the 'good' weenies and the Feds on him, and especially with his technology as low as it is, his two-front battle field will cause his ultimate demise. Kingon help or no, this will be a tough one for the bad guy. Really though, I don't want things to be too easy for him.

From a *GO BADDIES!* PoV, he should have let the Feds rescue the Klingons without interference and kept on silently building his empire. But the dumb butt didn't, so... maybe he shouldn't have followed them out looking for revenge... he'd be in a better position to attempt payback with Ford had he done so. Impatience seems to be the downfall of so many villans. Kahn, as one... coulda offed Kirk while he was vacationing somewhere, but *NO*... "have to go revenging now, be back by dinner... despite the fact that if I wait a movie or two I could lob a photon at him while he's on holiday on Earth... or just out live him and crap all over his grave..."

All this is going to take is one of Jarn's Weenies getting close enough to "pose a threat" (ala "Its coming right for us!") to get the Feds back into it. Endeavor's been turbo-charged and has a few new friends to play with in this playground. Jarn's f*cked. I just hope that the rest of the Weenies can hold out against his forces long enough for him to entice the Feds back in off the bench. If not, we're in for a huge weenie roast.

I'm still hoping for the "Ford gets to have a few *private moments* with the SoB" plotline; but perhaps a The Lady, or the Tiger? style ending is in order?

Czar "Kk, Now I'm Done" Mohab, who is only dreaming of a tourtured and bloodied Jarn...
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007, 11:07:07 pm »
You shal get some of those wishes fulfullined in #15...but for now...

...I'm off to Andy-Proof (TM) #14!

--thu guv!!

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
The Big-Ass(tm) Andy Review
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2007, 12:24:06 pm »
Hey Guv, sorry for the lack of comments. RL is a bear. But I am back, and I have a whole host of comments here for you, some of them on the nitpick-y side, so don't get mad - just do as I say!  ;D

Overall this is a great story that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. The quality is consistently high, so even though I don't think I have too many of the "I really liked this bit" comments, know that I was thinking that about the Story as a whole, and the bits I do mention are "extra credit".

I didn't find the pace forced at all, nor was any one scene overriding the quality of or crowding out any other. There is a nice balance of and contrast between the tension of the shuttle mission and "meanwhile, back at base, it's business as usual". Good writing, great characterisations - even if some of the characters are not... the Starfleet ideal.  ;)

So, now onto a point-by-point analysis. Guv, you can stop reading here to save your blood pressure from the bad bits.  :D

The only one among them who had not complained about the heat was their medical officer, Nurse Tyler. She’d simply taken off her bra and her boots and adjusted silently.

Why did she take her bra off when it got hot? Jacket, sure. Jumper/Pullover/Sweater, sure. But taking her bra off first? Eh? Hai Dohn't Hunerstand.

Such a massive planet such as Kovarn VIII was bound to drag home a lot of freeborn space garbage.

No need for the second "such".

Okay, John-Boy.

Funny 'The Waltons' reference! Mum watched that damn show and made us watch it too, sometimes. "Good clean wholesome family entertainment." Meh.

The kid choked off a cry of alarm as Ford’s right fist slammed viscously into his solar plexus.

Viscous: having or characterized by viscosity <viscous lava> - or the living oil slick that killed Tasha Yar in 'TNG:Skin of Evil'
Vicious: marked by violence or ferocity : fierce <a vicious fight>
'Nuff said.

However, a legitimate, last minute change down in the galley could have earned a real Starfleet crewman a really bad day

I love this whole scene, and especially this last line. I'd have hated to be a last minute newbie crew change there if that's all he used to pick him out as a falsie!

you know, I would have liked to have seen some poor new kid in Starfleet have a really bad day.

Nope, I totally disagree with Kadh here. I don't like to see undeserving people get pummelled by mistakes or random accidents of fate. Deserving people though... there's a different story.

I always liked characters like Mr. Kyle [TOS] ans Sonya Gomez [TNG], and was always aggravated when you suddenly never saw them again [more so with TNG+series...].

Ditto, Guv. My stories are all about how a ship isn't run by only 7 key people. I'm all about showing the unseen crewmembers, and continuing to show the same ones in the same positions - promotions notwithstanding. I really enjoy shows with ensemble casts, and that's the angle I'm looking to develop.
Kinda need to do a few more stories myself though. Gotta stop planning the 50,000 word books though and just do 20,000 word novellas or something, like the Guv here.
Oh, and it's great that the slutty nurse from the 'Evil Entity' ep not only survived, but is going to become a regular supporting character! Yay!  :D

“Alright…” Travers replied with a drawn out sigh. “We’ll do this your way. I’ll keep my boys and girls out of your uniforms. So long as the information I request isn’t altered before it reaches me.”

I'm really proud of Ford in this scene. Keep the fakes out of the Uniform! Respect the Uniform!
Though, what about genuine Fleet officers who are also in 31, like the SSTF from SFC? Jaeih did a story about that...

“Romulan plasma torpedoes. The old style type, caseless, magnetically guided. And…sabotaged. The magnetic guidance systems won’t lock in on Starfleet warp fields. Our ships will be perfectly safe.”

Just curious: How would a magnetic guidance package home on on a warp field? I'm not really expecting an answer. Me and Larry have already had this argument...  ;D

Chevy watched the older man depart. He wasn’t comfortable working with Section 31 again after all these years. But the trade off was too tempting to ignore. 31 would be operating around here whether he allowed them to and worked with them or not. Since they would be, he may as well reap the benefits of their working in his sector.

Good ethical dilemma with Ford adopting a practical outlook for the resolution. A lot of Feds would have said this gives 31 quasi-legitimacy, cooperating with Fleet officers, but if they're going to be there anyway. This is a very "the ends justifies the means" scene.

The Shuttle Sanchez is very cool looking, and I like him. However, apart from wanting him to look like an F-22, why the wings? You say he has an actual warp reactor on board (and a transporter. Must be very crowded and noisy in there! Or maybe like the Tardis...) so it can't be for tankage.

Ronald angled his visual array lower to overlook that area. The armor casemate was indeed open to space there. What it meant was not apparent from their current vantage. “I can’t tell. We’ll have to change our vantage point to get a better look… But I think that’s its engine section.”

Heh... anyone else getting the Valiant vs. Dominion Battleship feeling here?  ;D

Ya' know, I think, if I were Davenport, Smith, and Bronstein, I'd never set foot in a shuttle again.  There was that whole 'plasma storm' incident, and now they're being chased by the entire Ya'wenn navy.

Exciting chapter.  Loved the temptation to lob a torpedo into the battleship.  Very...us.

Also, very fond of this exchange...

“Just do it, helm!”

“Did I say I wasn’t?”

Never, on most shows, does the guy being told 'just do it' remind anyone that he already is, damnit.

I totally second everything Larry says here.

Bronstien looked back from the cockpit where he remained busy in dodging the alien’s efforts to track them down.

If there are multiple aliens, the proper possessive is: "the aliens' efforts".

Bronstien and Smith both nodded, the later bending to replace the open access panels before resuming his station.

Should be "latter".
(Yes, I know, you don't care. I do, so suck it up! :D)

“Dining of ashes, aren’t we?”

Kirk says it as "Dining on ashes?" in STVI. Seems to be a Biblical analogy: Psalms 102:9 For I have eaten ashes like bread, and mingled my drink with weeping.

I really liked Ford going over his battle. I'm pretty sure every military officer goes over his past actions when lives are lost, to see where he went wrong, what he could have done better, where lives could have been saved - so that if there is a next time, he can save them. It's called learning from your mistakes, and so few of us really do...
It's cool he's using StratCom to go over his options with simulations too.

“Two minutes.”

“I have a watch!”

I love this scene too, and the Genesis Device comparison gave the correct image to hold onto. His frustration with the "non-standard part" is absolutely priceless!
I have to agree with the "7 minutes not seeming urgent" comment, but also agree with Larry that since it wasn't urgent to Davenport, that's the way it should have been written. It's great that the worriers inside are irritating him, being outside.
Though, wouldn't his watch be on his wrist and make the checking of it difficult in a spacesuit?

Our larger capitol vessels...

Capitol: a building [or group therof] in which a state legislative body meets [the US's Capitol Building]
Capital: chief in importance or influence <capital ships>

(P.S. All spellings & definitions are taken from the American Merriam-Webster online dictionary, available here: http://www.webster.com/)

And finally...
“She didn’t get naked, did she?”

Great scene, very amusing and humorous, and as Larry says, very TOS, rounding off an ep with a comradely laughing scene. Great ending to a great story.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2007, 09:01:04 pm »
Please...

no....

more...

spelling...

corrections....

Just kiddin'. Keep em comin'. Let's me know where to look for stuff the spell checker misses. When I write, I don't look at the screen. At all. I look at the keyboard. Being self-taught at typing and already having a set habit, I am unable to watch the screen for incorrect grammar and am not always going to catch it on editting. Such things like the 'Dining "of" ashes' incident...well, most any one is gonna look at that and say "That's supposed to be on, not of." I've found worse than this in PUBLISHED novels, so I'm not about to lose any sleep over it. So skipping past any grammatical BS, on to other points I have the urge to discuss. [I love your freakin replies!]

1] The bra: Come on man. You're married. Your wife never said "Ooo, I'm hot." And off with the bra? Hell, even my mom did that, much to the trauma of me and any visitors.

2] The John-Boy thing was not a Walton reference, though I am vaguely familiar with it having seen itty-bitty bits of said show over the years. My dad always thought the Waltons sucked, and as we were a one TV house-hold...nuff said. Actually John-Boy is what the real Ron Davenport calls the real Mister Bronstien in RL here in BF Arkansas.
My replying to this is really unnecessary...but since I'm scrolling back and forth anyway...

3] I still think it's funny that you DON'T find ANY humor in the good guy having a 'bad day'. The part where Ford takes an educated guess and slugs the kid/agent was a scene designed to make you think what the f*ck is GOING ON!? UNLESS...you were really paying attention to the questions and answers passed between the two before Ford stood up. AND...IF you had paid attention to Ford's quirks from previous Episodes to know what he liked. I wanted the reader to ask whether Ford had just totally flipped out, and later imagine if he HAD made a mistake. To me...that's funny as sh*t. Sometimes such thing [though on a smaller scale usually] will make me laugh even when I am on the recieving end. Perhaps I'm just wierd. But if so...then so are Kahd and La'ra...

4] Ford does indeed realize that there are 31 agents in Starfleet. He's perfectly willing to go along with this, knowing it was this way since LONG before he was born. He will, however, be expecting them to behgave as Starfleet personnel before Section 31 agents and will deal quite harshly with those he catches reversing their priorities. As to the SSTF thing, as per the norm, there will be no use of any SFB or C material in my story world with the possible exception of ships. The 'latter' :) is primarilly for simplicity in visualization and because many of the models in SFC were pretty damn cool [giving credit where due].

5] Q: "How could a magnetically guided weapon home in on a warp field?"  A: "Science Fiction Super Science!

6] Glad you like the Sanchez. The winglets were a personal touch, much like the wing-like engines on the Delta Flyer. No, the Sanchez does not have an 'actual' warp reactor on board. He has two fusion drives feeding a plasma capacitance core. Like a shuttle craft, only somewhat better. The bussard scoops give the Sanchez added duration as he can refuel on space-borne hydrogen where and if abundant, thus meaning the fusion drive has a renewable fuel source. Unlike my conception of a standard shuttle, Sanchez has an easier time replenishing his 'warp fuel'. There's a whole bunch of technical rubbish I could quote off that I dreamed up as a teen, when I actually gave a damn, but it's all useless BS. So I'm gonna save my fingertips.

7] More on Sanchez... Yup, he has a transport. Figured the established norm of TNG had to start somewhere, so the larger shuttles of Ford's era [at least in my 'verse] have transporters. The larger cargo shuttles on up, so long as they are new enough, are likely to be thusly equiped. And yeah...the Sanchez is very cramped.

8] Actually...didn't even think about the Valiant vs Dominion Battleship...not till after writing the story. I did like that episode, though. Showed some of the falacy in the way things were done in TNG era, which they didn't often do.

9] Yes, Ron's watch was likely inside his suit. He just wanted them to shut up with the count-down. Though, in retrospect...his helmet HUD was likely displaying the current time, so...his reply remains valid. Tried the line with 'chronograph'...lost it's effect. Changed it to watch.

10] The usual TOS endings are not very me, but sometimes a story seems to have no better end for it. I didn't want forshadowing for the next episode, nor did I want to just end it with a docking scene on Tenseiga. The 'debriefing' scene seemed best, and it was a Ford-style debriefing, so it came out much like a TOS ending. Purely coincidental in intent...but even I sat back and went: "Damn...there's Kirk and Crew...hamming it up old school. Only...dirtier..."

Well...omitting all the comments on grammar made this somewhat shorter than I thought. It's long enough, however. You replies are among the more instructive I recieve on this forum. I thank you for your insight! OTHER individuals don't get nearly as detailed in their opinions anymore...*casts eyes toward Oklahoma...*

Any way...I press on to look further into what Dyna has tonight. Thank you again!

--thu guv!

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 07:51:12 am »
You replies are among the more instructive I recieve on this forum. I thank you for your insight!

Not a problem, Guv. I wouldn't keep at you with replies like this if you weren't open to receiving them. The reason I keep GrammaHammering(tm) you is that it's in the same spirit as my other comments: it is constructive criticism! I'm pointing out the good and the bad so you can improve your own storytelling ability.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2007, 10:25:30 am »
Wondering where Andy got 'slutty nurse'.  So far, all she's done is take off most of her clothes when she got hot...

...Oh.  Right.  Canada.  It doesn't get hot.  Such things are alien to the lad! ;D

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2007, 06:39:22 pm »
Yeah...he'd be in shock working at my store during the summer. Half nekkid chicks runnin' around all over.

--thu guv!!

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 04:13:34 pm »
I would note that Davenport's comment is much like that of one LtCdr Montgomery Scott while working in a Jeffries tube in the original Trek ep "That Which Survives" when Spock told him how much time he had left before the ship would blow up from going to the speeds and power outputs they were at.

"Ah noo what time ut is. Ah doon't need a bloody coockoo clock."
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.