Topic: SFC3 on-line multiplayer had been shutdown  (Read 5171 times)

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
SFC3 on-line multiplayer had been shutdown
« on: August 18, 2007, 09:00:47 am »
Hello,
Bad news im afraid, here is a message from activision that I have received , :'(

"Response (Russell Johnson) - 08/17/2007 02:22 PM   
Hello.

Thank you for contacting Activision. The Dynaverse access servers for
 Star Trek: Startfleet Command III have been shut down. Online
 multiplayer support for this title has been discontinued.

Can you let everyone know.

I hope someone can find a way to convince Activision to make the SFC3 game open source.

Worfy  :)

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Galactic Foriegn Legion
Re: SFC3 on-line multiplayer had been shutdown
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 07:41:58 am »
Sorry but thats not the response i got. I contacted the person who controls the access server and will get a reply today so I will let you know the results

Who hosts the activision access server for this game? Because for some reason...

Discussion Thread
 Response (Kirk McNesby) 06/15/2007 09:00 AM 
I reset the access server about 15 minutes ago. Let me know if you are still having problems.

Customer 06/15/2007 02:29 AM 
it is 6/15/07, the access servers for sfc3 are down again. May i please recieve a reboot for them? Thank you

Customer 06/07/2007 01:14 PM 
Thanks works great <S>

Response (Kirk McNesby) 06/07/2007 09:00 AM 
Give it a try now and let me know if you are still having problems connecting.

Customer 06/07/2007 06:39 AM 
Server once againis down can you please reboot it. And as you can see it is weekend time

Response (Kirk McNesby) 06/06/2007 08:56 AM 
The access server has to be up for anyone to join a server.

I have no idea how you got the impression we have no ties with the game, clearly we do since it has Activision on the box and we still run and maintain the multiplayer access server.

The developer Taldren does not exist anymore, they disolved slightly after the games release. Their disolution is why there was never a finalized patch for the game released, and why no future patches were planned or released. The situation is similar to what happened with Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines developed by Troika, except that some Troika employees stayed on long enough to finish a patch or two prior to their studio closing completely.

I have no information on what the future plans are for the access server code.

Customer 06/06/2007 06:50 AM 
If activision has no ties with the starfleet command III game or support or future patching for it then why not release the access serverkit to a dedicated group such as dynaverse.net or galactic foriegn legion. This way we dont have to rely on any thing from activision any more. Is there a way to direct connect to the server?

Response (Kirk McNesby) 05/25/2007 01:49 PM 
The access server has not been released to the public.

Customer 05/25/2007 01:06 PM 
server working next question can we host an access server?

Response (Kirk McNesby) 05/25/2007 10:47 AM 
There is no way to bypass the access servers.

We reset the servers earlier this morning (around 9/9:30 am PST). Please give it a try and let me know if you are still having problems getting in .

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:57:31 am by GFL Offkey »

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 04:15:09 pm »
"The developer Taldren does not exist anymore,"

True.

"they disolved slightly after the games release."

Stretch of truth....it was some time after the release that Taldren shut down...

"Their disolution is why there was never a finalized patch for the game released, and why no future patches were planned or released."

Flat out lie...all decisions relating to patchs were activisions...if fact...Taldren "leaked" a patch on it's own after ATVI dragged it feet for so long...

I know...because I was not only a Taldren beta testor...I was also a Visioneer....

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 06:48:51 pm »

True.

Stretch of truth....it was some time after the release that Taldren shut down...

"Their disolution is why there was never a finalized patch for the game released, and why no future patches were planned or released."

Flat out lie...all decisions relating to patchs were activisions...if fact...Taldren "leaked" a patch on it's own after ATVI dragged it feet for so long...

I know...because I was not only a Taldren beta testor...I was also a Visioneer....

We all know how Activision screwed us all over, so we all know what you say is 100% true.  But did you really expect them to admit to any of their actions concerning the game? 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 10:12:28 pm »
Well my response toacitvi is as such....
they told me to read the license agreement when i suggested release of the server kit. So i replied according to thier own license agreement they breached the contract and as such should be turned into the better business beauro. And then brought up oncharges for breach of contract and such award be the source code or the access server kit. I havent gotten a reply yet but will be on the phone with them tomorrow.
Now if the original programmers leaked a fix for multiplayer I wouldnt tell.

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 10:12:59 pm »

True.

We all know how Activision screwed us all over, so we all know what you say is 100% true.  But did you really expect them to admit to any of their actions concerning the game? 

Heh...no...

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 02:20:11 am »
Well my response toacitvi is as such....
they told me to read the license agreement when i suggested release of the server kit. So i replied according to thier own license agreement they breached the contract and as such should be turned into the better business beauro. And then brought up oncharges for breach of contract and such award be the source code or the access server kit. I havent gotten a reply yet but will be on the phone with them tomorrow.
Now if the original programmers leaked a fix for multiplayer I wouldnt tell.

I bet sooner or later they'll file a ceast and desist order against you prohibiting you from contacting them on the grounds that they have been harrassed.  Or something like that.  But personally I would really like to hear their response to your statements.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 02:22:19 am »

True.

Heh...no...

So there's only one solution....*gets into full combat battle gear, straps on several portable ICBMs, 4200 grenades, type VII quantum grenade launcher, 48,000 rounds of nuclear shotgun shells, 2 double barrel nuclear shotguns, various vision enhancement visors, and for the most extreme of cases, his quantum nuclear rubber chicken*   We invade Activision!  AND WE MAKE THEM WATCH OPRAH!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 09:12:27 am »
ok here are responses. Ive also contacted quicksilver on the issue and waiting for an answer.

Ok once again the access server is down may we have it reset please? I have o...

Discussion Thread
 Customer 08/20/2007 07:06 AM 
Then Activision does have proprietary rights. So why are they so adamant on making the game unusable. Is it that hard to allow access to multiplayer version of the game? This doesnt make sense at all. Is the game that important to them that they take the stance on banning it? I know in previous versions Dynaverse.net got rights to run access servers for sfc 2 and orion pirates. So whats the big deal with this one that Activision is taking the stance of not allowing access. if we can buy the access server rights or kit let me know and i will purchase the license. Or who can I call to find out

Response (Sam Akiki) 08/20/2007 06:53 AM 
Hello,

Activision owns all of the software and the original developers no longer exist. They went out of business a few years go. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us.

Customer 08/20/2007 06:16 AM 
Then who has the proprietary rights.We will contact them and get them to transfer the rights so this can be done

Response (Sam Akiki) 08/20/2007 06:07 AM 
Hello,

The Dynaverse access servers for Star Trek: Startfleet Command III have been shut down. Online multiplayer support for this title has been discontinued. Since the server technology is proprietary there is no way for us to give you access to run your own server.

Customer 08/18/2007 08:13 PM 
This is rediculous. 3 days and still down. Give me the server rights and I will keep it up 24/7

Customer 08/18/2007 02:12 AM 
No go still down. Question would activision be interested in letting me run an access server? After all I can run the game server 24/7 and it not go down where as any others who run the server have them crash after 2 weeks. Just a suggestion and would be more than glad to assist. any way please reboot server asap.

Response (Jose Lara) 08/17/2007 02:21 AM 
Ok, thanks for the info.

I will contact our server admin. Check again tommorow evening.

Customer 08/17/2007 02:15 AM 
Ok once again the access server is down may we have it reset please? I have over 60 people trying to get on dynaverse. Thanks

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 02:11:56 pm »
Hi,
Sorry my machine lost a few chips, just got it back. :'(

What is position regarding the access server for SFC3?

Worfy  ;D

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 01:25:47 pm »
They're up and running on D.Net :D

Regards,

Frey
Vice President of Technology,