Topic: Stadardised mod definition file and package format?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Stadardised mod definition file and package format?
« on: October 05, 2007, 01:30:14 pm »
How about it? It's about time.

I have this idea for a new style of campaign mod installer that just installs an updater/launcher that checks for mod updates each time the game is launched from the installers shortcut, downloads and applies as necessary then launches the game.

If we had a standardised and full SFC Mod description format then mod management would be much simpler and convenient, you could run it much like a software package manager with a repository of mods, local and remote.

I know this treads on Strat's Mod Chooser, so I'm sure he'll have some ideas in this, and likely his program would be a popular SFC mod package manager.

So, how to do it?

I propose the use of 7-zip archives for distribution formats, now how to structure the package? Perhaps something along the lines of:

Package file name:
MyMod-1.0.0.0.7z
(Name-Version.7z)

Contents:
Definitions.txt:
[mod]
Name="My Mod"
Version="1.0.0.0"
Game="OP"    //(SFC1,EAW,OP,SFC3)
Requires="OPP4"   //(OPP4,UAW,OPPHC,SFBOP,...)
[registry]
*place mod registry keys here in NSIS script format*
[SFC.ini]
*sfc ini mods here in NSIS script format*

...rest of archive mirrors game directory structure, containing the mod files in their installed location...

Now picture a client where you can specify repository locations local and remote (besides the default set at Dynaverse.net) that lists all available mods, their versions and download/installation status and controls installation and game launch, and can also be called from the command line or desktop shortcuts with parameters.

I suppose the best way to find out would be to do it, and if it works well, then people will use the client and repositories I guess...