Topic: Blackholes may harbour their own universes.  (Read 881 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Blackholes may harbour their own universes.
« on: November 05, 2007, 05:55:27 pm »
Link to full article

"The interior becomes a universe of its own," Böhmer says. Instead of matter falling into a singularity, it would travel forever through this Nariai universe, which it would experience as infinite in size – even though it fits inside a black hole of finite size.

But one physicist contacted by New Scientist who did not want to be quoted by name says the new work may not actually do away with the problem of singularities in black holes. He says a Nariai universe is inherently unstable, so it would eventually either collapse or become a de Sitter universe – which would itself harbour black holes.

If that is so, then black holes may contain their own universes, but those universes would likely contain their own black holes, which could contain their own universes … in an infinite loop.

A very long time ago I read an article by Isaac Asimov where he compared the mass and size of the universe to a blackhole.  Interesting to see his speculations being duplicated by a new generation of scientists.  I wonder if any of them has read that article.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Beeblebrox

• Existential Warfare
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Blackholes may harbour their own universes.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 06:57:10 am »
I'm a little rusty on my physics, but I do remember reading an article or a book on black holes.  Aside from the creation of virtual particles at the boundary of the event horizon and a discussion on the evaporation of black holes, it discussed the matter of a black hole's density.  One line that caught my eye said that, if an average black hole were expanded until it was as large as the universe, it would have a density equal to the current density of our universe. 

Because it's almost 8 A.M. and I haven't slept in days I haven't taken time to read the full article.  However, based on the two snippets I read above, I would have to assume that (if we're actually inside a black hole) our universe fits the de Sitter model.  As far as the matter of a singularity goes...this is me whistling in the dark but follow along and see if it makes sense.  Each galaxy has a super massive structure/cluster at its center which is the result of and the "glue" for the galaxy in question.  Taking the principle of mediocrity (Put shortly--things are pretty much the same all over.) into account it follows that there is a very good chance there may be a similar structure/cluster (accordingly more massive) at the center of this universe.  Perhaps (Come out on the limb with me!) the hypothetical massive structure at the center of the universe actually is a black hole singularity.

Anyway, just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.   
"Out swords and to work with all!"---Cyrano de Bergerac