Topic: Osiris Class Rennovation  (Read 32499 times)

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • No Replacement For Displacement
Osiris Class Rennovation
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:36:04 pm »
Ok folks, for the past couple weeks or so I've been annoying asking you guys for help on a couple things.  Heres why.

The Triton LC is on hold for the time being, though the model is complete.  I want the hull to be gunmetal, but I want it to have a chitinous blue sheen as well.  So while I screw experiment with various filters in GimpShop, I've turned my attention to something that I've been wanting to do for a while now.

Working on this:

Which at the moment looks like this:

I've been wanting to roll up my sleeves and see what I can do to improve the original design now that I can.  I've been working on replacements for the Bridge (which is posted in the 'Assistance Request' thread), Nacelles, and Torpedo turret.  Also adding a deflector dish as well.  The Nacelle and turret are also being worked on first, their current states:

...<< I may ask for some assistance with poly reduction tho. *gets slapped*

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
Re: Osiris Class Rennovation
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:42:40 pm »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:44:14 am by Fallen_Warrior »
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:45:44 pm »
Now that's a damn good engine you have there, and that torpedo launcher looks sweet. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 01:35:29 am »
Gonna call it a night now.

Was messing around with the nacelle trying to figure out what to do with the back of it, because it was completely flat...and it looked like a freakin' brick.

After careful consideration and hours of experimentation with the top minds of our day...

...I took the lazy man's way out =p

upside down connie a go-go

Also decided to see what (more) raised areas similar to the TOS connie's would look like behind the bussard thingamascoop.

May keep, may not...such decisions may or may not be made tomorrow.  Depending on whether I may or may not be awake until noon to make them...and now time for beeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:11:18 pm »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:44:46 am by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 05:57:12 pm »
I think I prefered the old color scheme, too many ships are comming out in the current color you have now. However, the turret looks nice. The one thing that always annoyed my about this ship is that odd front face that twists on the pylons (the fwd edge).

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 07:20:17 pm »
A retexure is in the planning stages right now, as I doubt the current color scheme would look good with the new parts modules. 

It will be close to the current textures, but more blue-ish like the original.  Also getting rid of the geometric aztec. (*shrugs* It had seemed a good idea at the time)

There will also be more mesh tweaks as I test fit the parts to see what works and what doesn't.  The swan pylons may be tweaked depending on how the new nacelles fit into the equation, or possibly replaced if need be.

Speaking of the nacelles, they're done.  I reversed the back end and blunted the whole thing to fit more in line with the Osiris' design language, as when I tried last night's version, it looked like a ship with two logs in place of engines. This ain't stone trek.

(Stone Trek...there's an idea...)

They are a bit poly heavy though...but here's where they landed.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 12:11:08 am »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:45:05 am by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 04:14:16 am »
agreed. Those look good.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 03:08:40 am »
*pant**pant*

G%#@#$^ I've got alot of work to do.  :P

Today was all about test fitting.  For the first time, the Osiris model now bears the new nacelles, turret, bridge, dish, and now all new swan pylons (the others just looked too funky with the new nacelles).  I wanted to get a feeling on where I was going, pretty close to done with the additional modules. 

From here I think it's all existing mesh tweaks, and then some texture application, followed by some textureing, and then some spit and polish, perhaps some string/spec editing to get her into SFC2/OP/3, and maybe a few test flights and tweaking, perhaps a late lunch....and then begins the killing, followed by a light salad.

Calling it a night, here's where she sits:

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 03:47:57 am »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:45:41 am by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 12:28:33 pm »
Decided to take a break, finish reading Contact Harvest.  Got bored immediately.

Wasted some time in photoshop.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 12:43:58 pm »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:47:32 am by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 07:21:21 pm »
nacelles look s tad big verticly, but otherwise the new parts all look great.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 08:27:18 pm »
An update on current events.

Saturday afternoon, the .max file with the retrofitted Osiris model was lost.  The finished nacelles, turret, and bridge are all fine (not a total loss); but the new swan pylons and sensor dish were lost with it.

After taking a day to dry my tears (I'd worked on getting to that stage for 3 days straight), it's back to work on the model and a few other things.

Model update:  What can I say, there's the rock and there's the hill behind it.
Texture update:  A little registry info. 

Now, the current Kreeargh model will be released as the Mark 1 Osiris.  The textures have been finished forever, but I've been doing a lot of registries for that model, a list of registries for the Osiris Mark 1 Model are below.

Osiris (Base Class)
USS Osiris NCC-85993
USS Sedna NCC-85994
USS Demeter NCC-87335
USS Apsaras NCC-89210
USS La'aka NCC-89291

Shiva (Torpedo/Light Carrier Variant)
USS Shiva NCC-89874
(Class was aborted due to combat performance compared to existing starfleet ships of similar tonnage.)

Rhinemaiden (Advanced subclass, Prototype for the Mark II)
USS Rhinemaiden NCC-94295
USS Woglinde NCC-94296
USS Wellgunde NCC-94297
USS Flosshilde NCC-94298
USS Ain NCC-94590
USS Tamamo NCC-94591

All of these registries are already made and in separate folders.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish laughing hysterically at reading STTNG: Before Dishonor.

Starfleet seems to be crewed by the most aggressively stupid people in the universe.  Except Calhoun, because he apparently TALKS S#%^ TO EVERYONE.  Usually as a compliment.

Admiral Nechayev: *Points* "They ate Pluto!  I think we have to be prepared to throw all previous definitions of sanity out the window, Admiral!  Get in touch with the Enterprise.  Find out where she is.  I want to be able to report to the council that we are, at the very least, giving the appearance of providing the Borg with what they want."
Admiral Jellico:  "Picard is on his way."
Nechayev: "Do you know that?"
Jellico: Of Course I-"
Nechayev:  "Don't tell me that he's following the orders you gave him.  Do you know for a fact that Enterprise is en route to Earth?"
Jellico: *annoyed* "I will verify her range to Sector 001."
Nechayev: "Do that.  And if he's heading anywhere else but Earth, God help him...and God help us all."

Indeed, Nechayev.  God help us all, there's a bigger hack than Boll out there.  *hyperventilates from laughter*

And now a moment of silence for the Planet/Dwarf Planet/Gypsy Planet/Not a Planet Pluto, and all her moons...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:02:57 pm by AlchemistiD »

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 10:46:44 pm »
is this a new book, or one of the older ones? I seem to have been reading them backwards in the series (if it is the excalibur series since you mentioned calhoun, but I know he's had camios in other books, and yes, he is hilarious) Honestly, I wish f***ing paramount would have their damn writers for trek higher some of these book writers. If calhoun were to have been a tv captain (or a character that acts similarly in enterprise as captain) we'd have ourselves a decent series that would have a chacne at running 7 seasons.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 11:05:01 pm »
hmm... me thinks you shouldn't just 'tweak' the old mesh, me thinks with them nice brand spankin new naccels, and all them other fine parts that ya should rebuild the whole thing ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 11:14:54 pm »
hmm... me thinks you shouldn't just 'tweak' the old mesh, me thinks with them nice brand spankin new naccels, and all them other fine parts that ya should rebuild the whole thing ;)

Yep i agree you got a good thing going here keep it up  :thumbsup:   
Time for life!

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 11:41:39 pm »
is this a new book, or one of the older ones? I seem to have been reading them backwards in the series (if it is the excalibur series since you mentioned calhoun, but I know he's had camios in other books, and yes, he is hilarious) Honestly, I wish f***ing paramount would have their damn writers for trek higher some of these book writers. If calhoun were to have been a tv captain (or a character that acts similarly in enterprise as captain) we'd have ourselves a decent series that would have a chacne at running 7 seasons.

It's one of the new TNG novels, the sequel to the TNG novels "Resistance" and "Death in Winter", which all begin pretty much immediately after Nemesis ends.  "Resistance" is the beginning of a plot arc involving the evolution of the Borg from just supervillians to freaking Galactus-esque bad guys.

On the bright side, apparently Nechayev deals with mortal fear by turning into a complete smartass.
And Jellico is a moron.  No change there.

As for Calhoun:
Picard to fleet, aboard Enterprise: "Prepare to go to warp eight, continuing course for Earth."
Calhoun, on Excalibur, over an open fleet-wide channel: "Don't forget to say 'engage'.  It's just not the same unless you say 'engage.'"

What do ya think I was trying, when the lights all went out. ;)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:27:59 am by AlchemistiD »

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 02:59:44 pm »
Blah blah blah, yak yak, blah yak, blah yak, blah blah blah *cries*

blah blah, yak blah *eats ice cream*

Yak yada yada blah yak yak yada blah, blarg honk blarg *gets to work*

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 08:14:28 pm »
the deflector dish should be more inside the ship, are you working on a new saucer for the model?

the new warp engine are cool :)

keep the great work and continue have fun with it :)

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 08:32:18 pm »
the deflector dish should be more inside the ship, are you working on a new saucer for the model?

the new warp engine are cool :)

keep the great work and continue have fun with it :)

1.A new stardrive is next in line, so a new deflector will be part of it.

2.Yup, that's the new Saucer (so far).  (Thanks to FOAS for posting that saucer tutorial!)

3.Been having lots of fun working on her so far, but I think I'm partially dreading the stardrive.  It's probably going to be the most complex part of the ship, especially with what I've got in mind for it.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 01:44:33 am »
ZOMG double post.

Mesh update:

The pain in my a-err...Stardrive section is complete.  Nacelles, easy.  Turret, a simple cone.  Bridge, easy.  Saucer, breezy.  This thing drove me nuts....  Cuz I suuuuuuck:D

I made use of Madfish's tutorial on how to make fantails (located here: http://www.madfishway.rr.nu/), and it helped hugely.  Unfortunately I couldn't get a cylinder type stardrive to work with the rest of the design, so I tried doing the same steps with a cone (By now my favorite shape, it's so...ehhh..uhh...coney)

The results below...some may wish to put on their fake pilot mustaches for #2.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 08:38:09 am »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:48:32 am by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 12:38:51 pm »
very nice work dude im looking forward to seeing all the new parts come together, but your saucer looks to be a bit flatter than the old one? or is it just the view

Yeah, I keep thinking that too.  But I think it's because it doesn't have that raised area down the center, it's actually the same size as the current saucer.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 09:58:41 pm »
Double-double post MG

Model work is done.  The ship is assembled.  I've smoothed the mesh and fixed and prodded and rotated and moved as much as I can.  Barring fixing a slight scaling problem (The Mesh is almost identical in size to Kreeargh's, but renders in model viewer from about 50 light-years away) final results are below.

I decided to go with a simpler deflector because the other didn't work with the stardrive.

And now comes the part where crying is required.  Simply put, no matter what I do, 3DS will not apply the textures correctly, if it applies them at all. 

So I wanted to inquire, as to whether anyone would like, perchance, to apply placeholder texture sheets and drop-kick the ball back into motion.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 10:22:11 pm »
well I suppose i can help ya out w/ your secondary hull a bit w/ a few suggestions.   The 'Tus' method ;) of building hulls consistes of one of two things, either a bunch of extrusions from an boat shape cylinder w/ a min of 24 segments.  This is good for excel hulls.  Essentially all you do is extrude the bottom face down a bit, scale and repeate till ya get a nice shape.  The second method uses a lathe.  I use this for cylindrical hull like that of the ball and stick i'm working on.   btw, 24 segments is the min for a good curve, anything less and you'll see segmentation.  From there i usually ends up being a bunch of booleans and cookie cuts (shape merge) to get the final shape.  Hope that helps some.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 10:58:20 pm »
well I suppose i can help ya out w/ your secondary hull a bit w/ a few suggestions.   The 'Tus' method ;) of building hulls consistes of one of two things, either a bunch of extrusions from an boat shape cylinder w/ a min of 24 segments.  This is good for excel hulls.  Essentially all you do is extrude the bottom face down a bit, scale and repeate till ya get a nice shape.  The second method uses a lathe.  I use this for cylindrical hull like that of the ball and stick i'm working on.   btw, 24 segments is the min for a good curve, anything less and you'll see segmentation.  From there i usually ends up being a bunch of booleans and cookie cuts (shape merge) to get the final shape.  Hope that helps some.

The extrusion method is how I saved my sanity on the stardrive, actually (I used the cone as the top, originally intending to use it sideways, and immediately realized what I'd done).  It's how I made the main SD module.  I'll keep the advice in mind, especially for the next feddie on the assembly line, thats been sitting in my sketchbook for nearly a year now.

Started working on the kind of aztec I want.  I found something on my HD from way back to 2006.  Never really used these textures, I got to thinking I should fix that.  Or I could go the Intrepid route and not have any aztec...decisions, decisions...

Pic in question below, will probably be the background aztec....like I said long long ago, the hull will be more blue, probably a very dark blue-grey, sort of like sharkskin.  With a darker grey for things like the saucer border.  Dark blue hull...yeah.  Something that won't keep showing up as yellow in OP/EAW like the current textures, annoys the hell out of me.  But something that looks good in the dark (I like the lighting really low).

::ALCHEMIC EDIT::
Stupid Photoshop crashed when I changed the .bmp colors ; _ ;...

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 02:57:36 pm »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:48:51 am by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 06:35:01 pm »
I think the new mesh looks great, too. Nice work!
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 11:18:04 pm »
Was looking at the wings.  Had to go back and edit a few things, they just looked too knobby. 

I made new swanwings that are somewhat beefier than the previous ones.  Added more modules along the outer and inner tracks to try to give the ship a more avian feel. (It's called Osiris, so something should look bird-like)

Results below.

::ALCHEMIC EDIT::

Wanted to look at what it might possibly look like when finished.  I applied some basic colors and masks for lighting, attachment added.

As for in game flight testing, apparently material colors and illumination masks send the Model Viewer into a seizure,  :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:17:19 pm by AlchemistiD »

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 03:15:33 pm »
And today I give you...

TOTAL CRAP

So can anyone name a decent smoothing plugin?  Or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 03:32:19 pm »
Wish I could help you.  But I still can't make models.  You already know more than me.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 04:38:58 pm »
I doubt it,  :-\

I forgot to mention that the mesh above is a test mesh, I made some basic color textures for the ship and exported it to MOD to look for any problems to iron out (and boy did I find 'em, as you can see above.)

The funny thing is, when rendered ingame in SFC3, it's nowhere near as bad.  The same for SFC2, while it's not great in SFC2 either, at least it doesn't give me a seizure when I look at it.

Still looking for advice, but heres what it looks like a-la SFC3's (more powerful?) engine.

Brought to you by Mother Brain's Pretzels.  Mother Brain, she'll only blow up one of the planets in your solar system!

Also, I have to ask another question.  What are the generally recommended LOD settings?  It asks me whenever I port to .mod.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 05:22:54 pm »
Select none.  LODs aren't really necessary.  SFC3 doesn't use them at all, and not that many people that make models for SFC1/2/OP use LODs anymore.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 01:35:40 am »
smoothing is easy really.  The issue is that SFC doesn't recognize smoothing groups correctly (it sees everything as either in a singular smoothing group or not smoothed at all).  What you can do is use the smooth modifier in max, that should take care of most of the work for you.  From there you might need to adjust a few smoothing groups here and there.  here are some basic instructions:

1.  Go into the modify tab and put a smooth modifer on your mesh
2.  check auto smooth
3.  Go into the modify tab and put an edit mesh modifer on your mesh
4.  select areas that need manual smoothing and reassign smooth groups as neccesary (found in the surface properties rollout)
5.  Go into the modify tab and put an edit mesh modifer on your mesh
6.  Go to the selection roll out, hit polygon selection (the sqare)
7.  scroll down to the surface properties rollout; You will see a button called "select by SG"; 
click that botton and a window should appear with all the smoothing groups used by your model, select 1 group (just click the number.  warning it might not unclick the number (an issue when parts have multiple sg) when you come back into the select by sg, so you might need to do that yourself)
8.  go to the edit geometry roleout and click detach, check the box detach to element
repeat steps 7 and 8 till there are no more groups to detach

When you export the smoothing groups will be recognized correctly.  This is because SFC smooths by elements, and by detaching them you create a new element.  aaah, but you remember you checked the box 'detach to element' right?  well this just removes a step, which is you would have to reattach it again if you didn't.  the result is the same though, you created a bunch of new elements, and thus sfc smooths those elements correctly because there is exactly 1 sg to those elements.    Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 02:29:54 pm by Tus »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 07:13:56 pm »
the saucer seem big for the ship.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 09:47:53 pm »
There be bad and hilarious news.

First the bad.  After trying out tons of tut's and suggestions (big thanks to Tus and WZ)... well...no joy.

It turns out looking somewhat allright ingame anyway so I'll take care of something else on it for now.

As for the other...that happened while blocking placeholder textures, and I just felt like sharing the fact that the textures from the original Osiris look almost way better on the new model.  At least, I thought it was funny.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 02:06:08 am by AlchemistiD »

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2008, 08:48:49 am »
if you want you can send me the file and i can do the smoothin for ya...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2008, 12:42:33 am »
Phaser banks would look better if they maintained their distance from the raised arc of windows ya got there...

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 10:04:20 pm »
It's only a placeholder map from the original.  Just so I have everything named and assigned.

Sorry I haven't updated in a long time, there's been great deal of stuff going on in my family lately.  Plus I payed a visit to family in Ann Arbor, loved Michigan...but I couldn't stay there ; _ ;.

All the people walking around covered with cold weather wear, and I was walking around in below freezing weather, just fine...wearing a t-shirt.

Right now I'm just back from the dentist, had to have a root canal.  Funny though how the root canal feels better with no pain meds than the tooth felt before after 500mg of Ibuprofen.

Tus, I'm probably gonna take ya up on that.  I'll send it as soon as I'm finished fixing some odd mesh anomalies, and with the yacht module.  Came up with a design for the captain's yacht, and it's deployment sequence/mechanics during the two and a half hour flight from Houston International to Detroit Metro.

For right now until the pain meds kick in, I'm going to take out my anger on some poor Genome Soldiers (Hellooo bandanna!)  There goes my (mostly) no-kill run of Metal Gear Solid...

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2008, 09:56:18 am »
maybe the meds will give you some creative visions :D

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2008, 11:21:03 pm »
maybe the meds will give you some creative visions :D

Mmhmm...the dentist kept screwing up when finishing the canal last week (Dentist: "It's not breaking off, get the torch"), the nurse insisted the nerve was dead and that I couldn't feel anything.  We had a difference of opinion.

And then they asked me for $400 additional... :huh:

On the bright side, the grass is always greener when the (other, competent doctor) gives you some kickin' pain killers.  And an old PSM that was lying around the office. (issue #1! XD)

I made a few slightly biggish decisions regarding some other stuff: 

The Triton class LC has been redesigned pretty severely, and the model will have to be redone, but the new design fits the ship much better I believe.  It has also been renamed to the 'Trident' so as not to cause confusion with the SFB design.

The Mongoose is a death trap with or without camo.

One Genome Soldier is worth 1/100 of a bullet.  But beating Volgin with the Cigarette Spray on European extreme is priceless.

I've been working on a somewhat large piece of scenery for use wherever.  It's inspired by something I saw on deviantart, a pic called "Peridot", depicting a sci-fi style city.  The mother itself is a massive city/space station floating in a luminescent green nebula.  The thing is, the station sandwiches the playing field (Think of the first fight with Anubis from ZOE 2nd runner, mixed with a little Blade Runner, and you're not far off).  I started off calling it ghost town, and myself clever, but I guess I can't do that now (gee thanks, bungie!).  The final design is 500X more complex than I had initially thought it was going to be.  It also happens to be awesome, and hard...and awesome...and damn hard....I blame the codine.

Work of course continues on the Osiris.  Oh...and Arwings....and Boston.

:flame:

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2008, 09:35:56 pm »
hey, you don't care if I still make use of the old one while I wait for the new one to be finished?

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »
hey, you don't care if I still make use of the old one while I wait for the new one to be finished?

Have at it, man.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2008, 01:49:49 am »
Double post  :P

Model is pretty much done.  Now needs smoothing, and clothes.

...and walkies.  Lots of walkies.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 04:13:12 am »
Pretty slick design! It's looking real good.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2008, 12:30:29 am »
You'd first like to get rid of the smoothing errors on the ventral section. :huh:
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2008, 06:36:45 pm »
Actually, I'd forgotten to smooth it.  Put in a night of work on various things after getting off of work, and I forgot the glaringly obvious.  Damn you, biology.

Two items, though no screens this time.

First, smoothing problem fixed.  Finally found the root of the problems with the .mod looking all ugly, thumped myself on the head when I found the cause.  Fixing is currently underway.

Second, though it's probably a little early, I'm going to ask before I forget: damage mapping...a-la SFC3?  Is there a tutorial or ninja butterfly that can help me?

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2008, 10:35:50 pm »
Double post FTL ; _ ;

Despite some minor difficulties and mesh glitches, work is continuing apace.  Will probably start texturing tomorrow or Saturday, depending on whether or not the app flakes on me again.

Apologies it's taking so long, feel dumb. 

In other news, was forced to listen to m-bop and then who let the dogs out, while driving, station wouldn't change, require Dragonforce NOW.

LOOK SHINY THING!

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2008, 03:40:18 am »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:09:29 pm by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2008, 07:17:17 pm »
Irritation.

Curiosity: Is it a sign of insanity when you're beginning to haggle with your 3d app? 

Texturing is going well...if by well you mean bat$#!+.  Allow me to explain.

I'm at the stage where the texture maps are being applied (using the original's images to make sure a lot of stuff is lined up), but my backwards hand-me-down of max refuses to play ball on texturing this thing.  I've been trying for the better part of a day.  I thought to check the .nif and there everything was, assigned perfectly.  So I imported the .nif and exported to .mod, and looked at the model in the viewer, textures perfectly assigned but no lightmaps.  Imported the .mod BACK into max and re-added lightmaps, exported to .mod AGAIN, refreshed the viewer, perfect.

I may go insane using this method, but I'll probably be in good company, so ON WITH THE TEXTURING.

.::EDIT::.
Okay, it seems that this tactic causes more mesh errors than you can shake a Drill at.  So I'm forced to try a different tack.

Do do doriru...do do do do doriru....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:22:07 pm by AlchemistiD »

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2008, 09:52:05 pm »
Double Post 2:  Fail Harder  :D

Messing Screwing Experimenting Messing around with the textures, finally settled on a style.

Planning stuff.  Devious stuff.  Evil, devious stuff for it eventually. 

Sent a postcard.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:36:35 pm by AlchemistiD »

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2008, 04:55:31 pm »
Scratch is always a wonderful thing isn't it, when you have to start from it again?

Ok, perhaps not entirely.  The truth is, I haven't been working on this model at all lately, this whole year has felt like one brick wall impact after another.  Lately I haven't been able to enjoy much of anything.  Recently I pretty much had to force myself to ignore everyone around me and pick up my X-Box controller and just play something and try to have some fun.  As luck would have it, I ended up partying up with some halfway decent players in Halo 3's matchmaking in Team Slayer, and it ended up being an all-night session.  It didn't bring me out of my funk completely, but it was awesome to know there's still people in matchmaking who aren't a foulmouthed 10 year old who screams at their parents, and complains when they lose.

Back to the model, it's been bugging me for a while.  Not just that it's still not finished, I wanted to get this out there way faster, but there's little things about the model itself that still just bug me.  The top two:

Model hiccups like this:

It's not very noticeable up close, but it's enough to give me pause from far away, where it becomes impossible to miss:

Around the nacelles...it gets just as ugly up top too.  I don't feel right about leaving it like that, so I've been practicing with Boolean cuts/welds and plan to reassemble the model from the spare parts I've kept on hand (spriter's habit I guess.  We tend to leave a lot of spare parts lying around "just in case they come in handy.")  Bottom line, reassembling it could probably be done in about 2 days, but it will probably be done with that stage next week, since I work all this weekend.

The other hang-up I have, is the Stardrive:

Bottom line is, I don't feel good about it either.  I don't like the way it turned out, and every time I look at the model up close, I keep getting hung up on it. It seemed fine at first, when I really had no idea what I was doing, but now...every time I look at it, I feel like I can do better.  So this week I've been concentrating on building something close to it in shape, but smoother and easier on the eyes.  It's not finished yet, but here's where I'm calling it, today:

It's going to be a bit closer-in to the primary hull in terms of the neck's length.  I feel much better about this one, and I think it will fit better with the nacelles/saucer than the first.

That's all for today, later!

.::ALCHEMIC EDIT::.

(Dec 7th)

Sorry it's taking so long.  I'd lost my job and have been looking for employment.  All I can do is wait now for the interview, and I'm really nervous.  Fortunately, I've had some time recently to work on the mesh, and a little extra.
The Torpedo Turret has been redone, and I built the mesh for the ship's Galleon, the Iris (Think of a huge runabout stored in an underside compartment in the turret.)

That's all I have for now, so here's a cute furry creature popping up through a woman's cleavage.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:32:59 am by AlchemistiD »

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2009, 03:15:54 pm »
how goes the orsiris? No updates in a while. I'm in the process of porting the old one to bc, lookingforeward to the new one.

How large is this ship supposed to be, btw?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:29:38 pm by Starforce2 »

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 12:56:28 am »
Sorry for the wait.  Work on the mesh has been slow as of late, as I'm between jobs and have also taken up game capturing while I pass out my resume like it's Halloween candy.

Lots of little, last-minute changes to the main ship's mesh, and building the two types of auxiliary craft (comparatively small meshes, should be pretty quick.)  Mostly it's just element testing right now for the Osiris proper.

The two auxiliary craft are the aforementioned Yacht (whose final mesh is coming nicely), and a new "Bullfrog" shuttle.  The Bullfrogs designed as a short range-APS (Armored Personnel Shuttle)/Planetary survey craft somewhat akin to the "Hoppers" that got mentioned in DS9.  They're based off a concept for the TNG shuttlecraft.

As for the ship's size, the Osiris is 20 decks large, and maybe 30 or so meters longer than an Intrepid.

I'll get back to work on it tomorrow after I teach Wesker a lesson.  Jill's my favorite character from Resident Evil's PSX days and the *** ****** *** ******* ********** **s's got a scheduled meeting with my size 13.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2009, 10:51:08 pm »
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Starforce_Productions_Osiris;99540

This first osiris is in BC..so hurry up with the new one lol :angel:

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2009, 07:17:02 pm »
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Starforce_Productions_Osiris;99540

This first osiris is in BC..so hurry up with the new one lol :angel:

Wilco, and nice work Starforce  :thumbsup:

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2009, 12:24:50 pm »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:16:39 pm by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2009, 07:19:44 pm »
any word on an update?

The ship is not dead, and neither am I, despite the best efforts of my PC ^_^=.

Work has been resumed on the model.  I had taken some time to get a ship design out of my head that I've wanted to make a model of for quite some time.

The short story is she's something of a cross between a Porsche 997, an LST, and an F22 Raptor...IN <echo>SPAAAAAAAAAACE</echo>.  With a little bit of Boeing YAL-1 thrown in for good measure. 

She's actually a harder kind of science fiction ship that I wanted to use to cruise around in whatever space sim I'm playing at the time: Freelancer, Freespace 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights (!), ect.  It's not finished yet, but it's about 90% done, mesh-wise.  I'm actually kinda proud of it, since I've gotten it to look almost exactly like my mental image of what the ship should look like.

But that's what I've been up to.  Sorry for suddenly disappearing on everyone.  I just had to get this ship out of my head and onto my monitor!  I'm back to work on the Osiris, all that's left really is texturing.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2009, 08:35:52 pm »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:03:07 pm by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2009, 09:55:22 pm »
'Kay.

The ship as it is now was heavily inspired by Jet Porn Ace Combat 6.

Hence descriptions follow.  And pretty pictures.

If this ship had a dedication plaque, that plaque would say only one this, and nothing else: "No Replacement For Displacement."

Those things facing forward on either side are actually engines, not weapons.  The thrusters you see hanging around are for vectored thrust.  There are also two small doors in the center.  The front is a cargo hold, the one aft is the launch bay.

Reverse engines in back.  The two big rectangle things are for missile racks that lift upward out of the hull when in use.  The small little bits in the center and the sides are sensor clusters for flight control.  The rectangular bit at the very bottom of the center is the forward navigational array, which contains telescopes, spectroscopes, radio antennae, ect.  There are going to be large loading doors blended into the very front tip of the ship.

It looks like a car from the side...
...not intentional...
...I swear...
...maybe a little...
They serve a practical purpose.  In addition to housing engines, the "wheels" house massive Anti-G coils, allowing temporary to indefinite athmospheric flight (depending on the planets gravity).  In lower than .9 G the ship is capable of full VSTO (Vertical Surfate To Orbit).

Something I wanted was a tougher looking ship.  Something that looks like it can more withstand the velocities and torsion from "knife-fight" manuvers.  Trek ships look cool, but it's canon that those graceful swan shaped ships are pretty much held togeather by force fields and Scotty's chewing gum.  Compared to the Osiris, the SG is built like a brick [EXPLETIVE DELETED]house.

Well, like I said, she's about 90% done.  That 10% pretty much covers joining the three parts togeather, adding hydrogen ramscoops the tail assembly, flare/countermeasure launchers to the sides, and fixing some mesh glitches that are just driving me nuts.  I swear I've got no idea what the hell's causing them.

It started out as a large mothership-sized saucer, but eventually bacame a much smaller (but in no way little) arrowhead shaped Q-ship.  A Q-ship capable of doing things no Q-ship has any business being able to do.  Like fire missiles.  A lot of missiles.  We're talking "Do You Remember Love?" amounts of missiles, here.  A Smeg-ton of missiles.

'Cuz missiles are just better.

My Caracal carried about four launchers and 10,000 missiles split into three types...and a laser...

I'm feeling a little lightheaded...My head's feeling a little lightheaded...

Weird...*yawn*...how long habIbeenuu*falls asleep at keyboard*

*snoooooooooooore*
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:29:30 pm by AlchemistiD »

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2009, 08:44:59 am »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:03:00 pm by Fallen_Warrior »