Topic: Star Trek XI Trailer to be attached to Cloverfield  (Read 3098 times)

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • No Replacement For Displacement
Star Trek XI Trailer to be attached to Cloverfield
« on: January 04, 2008, 01:36:37 pm »
Hey guys, remember Cloverfield?  It's J.J. Abrams Blair Witch Knockoff upcoming horror flick.  The one where he ripped off Sin from Final Fantasy X for his big bad monster?

Yeah, that one.  Apparently, trailers for Star Trek XI will be attached to the film when it launches.  The full article here.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=46934

"It's not your grandfather's Star Trek."  I was born a couple years before the beginning of TNG...so should I be offended by that?

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Star Trek XI Trailer to be attached to Cloverfield
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 01:43:44 pm »
Hell that offends me, :D I'm a grandfather, and I think I'll have punisher sign off on a lawsuit against them. :laugh:

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 02:30:12 pm »
Hey, movie companies have big pockets, lets sue the bastards!

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 08:12:23 pm »
The trailer for Cloverfield gave me a huge headache. IF its as good as it is supposed to be, I might Netflix it. In a few years. Because of that, I'll have to wait until Trek movie the next's trailer makes it onto a "more better" film, or, in the likely event that one does not present itself, YouTube or some other, non-$8-per-showing, thing.

Sue? Sure. Both my grandfathers didn't live long enough to even see TOS. Kind of like saying "Your Momma's so..." to someone who's mother had died.

Czar Mohab
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 01:52:20 am »
Saw Cloverfield tonight.  I don't like Godzilla movies.

I liked Cloverfield. 

I also liked the Trek trailer.  Look forward to seeing the movie.
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 11:07:10 am »
Trailer is awful. Worst Trailer/Teaser Ever. Is this the crew from Flashdance building a 23rd century starship (or whatever century it is supposed to be) with 20th century welding equipment? Welding, really??!!!!

"What a feeling!!!" <Chick pulls the ring and water falls all over her>

This is a real trailer/teaser:

http://www.gabekoerner.com/ent/trekreel002.mov

At this point, you might as well be watching this as the ships are nearly identical and it is a lot more exciting than that other 5 second hackery.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 03:54:27 pm »
That's it? And I actually thought about shelling out 9 bucks to see Cloverfield so I could watch that? Sheesh...

At least I passed on Cloverfield though. ;D
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 09:52:26 pm »
That's it? And I actually thought about shelling out 9 bucks to see Cloverfield so I could watch that? Sheesh...

At least I passed on Cloverfield though. ;D

You and me both, my friend.

On the plus side, the trailer/teaser/whatever you want to call it wasn't horrible. Not great, not very informative, but not horrible.

And the welding issue. It makes sense to me, growing up I had all the Trek stuff: Blueprints, ship diagrams, etc... I remember that Enterprise was built on Earth at San Fansisco fleet yards, however my data at the time didn't really say how it was assembled or launched or what have you, just built. Little digging here finds:

The vessel registered NCC-1701, which was constructed in San Francisco and launched in 2245, was christened the Enterprise. Larry Marvick was one of the designers of the Enterprise. (TOS: "Tomorrow is Yesterday", "Is There in Truth No Beauty?")

According to The Making of Star Trek, the Enterprise was built on Earth but assembled in space.

While actually welding pieces of the space frame does indeed seem odd, especially knowing what stresses will be exerted on the beasty, its not too far fetched. J.J., however, seems to be taking this a tad far, and it looks as if the ship herself will be launching from Earth. That I don't buy. Saucer launched from the planet to meet up with the eng. section, maybe. Major pieces flown up and put together in space is more believable knowing what we know of ol' 1701.

There's also the name scribbled into the hull already... I'm pretty sure it would be one of the last things to go onto the hull, after it's been sealed. Kind of like painting the walls in your new construction house; you're going to wait until all the drywall is up in the room before you start. There would be plenty of other things around to let you know which ship it is/will be.
(Note the brow banner. I have more examples if they are needed.)
I'm pretty sure that Earth of the future wouldn't paint the name on in pieces. Unless, of course, it is speciall colored metal that is used to keep the yard workers from mucking up the hull job; forcing them to, at the very least, keep those labled panels alligned. No one wants a U.S.S. Enterprise

Special thanks to Stephen for linking us the trailer and saving some of us a few $. I'm surprised it was available so quickly on the web; yet, not.

Czar "I'll stop rambling now," Mohab[/color]
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 10:50:32 am »

While actually welding pieces of the space frame does indeed seem odd, especially knowing what stresses will be exerted on the beasty, its not too far fetched.
Who knows what that is?
Maybe they are using a plasma torch to cut, maybe they are welding only a small portion, maybe the majority is friction stir welded, ....

or maybe they didn't consult a material engineer ;)

We have two choices:
1) Suspend nitpicking belief, and enjoy the movie
2) Agonize over what we think 23rd century construction techniques will be....

Ummm guys.... we're talking about a FTL capable ship, with forcefields, beam weapons, and a magical disintegrator/reintegrator transportation device...
If you can suspend disbelief over THAT, I'd think the rest follows easily.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)