Topic: Free and legal Media and Educational materials  (Read 24618 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Free and legal Media and Educational materials
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 10:59:23 am »
I just brought the list up to date and made a very belated addition of NJAntman to the contributors list.  Sorry NJAntman for the oversight, it was not on purpose.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 03:58:56 pm »
Wikiversity

Wikiversity is a Wikimedia Foundation project devoted to learning resources, learning projects, and research for use in all levels, types, and styles of education from pre-school to university, including professional training and informal learning. We invite teachers, students, and researchers to join us in creating open educational resources and collaborative learning communities.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 07:34:16 pm »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 08:17:23 pm »
Popular Science

We've partnered with Google to offer our entire 137-year archive for free browsing. Each issue appears just as it did at its original time of publication, complete with period advertisements. It's an amazing resource that beautifully encapsulates our ongoing fascination with the future, and science and technology's incredible potential to improve our lives. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

In the future, we'll be adding more advanced features for searching and browsing, but for now, enter any keyword into the box below and dive in.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 06:21:37 pm »
WatchKnow

About WatchKnow

We at WatchKnow.org feel that potential geniuses are everywhere, from small, rural towns to giant, sophisticated cities. But their potential may go to waste if they are not given the right educational opportunities. We at WatchKnow.org want to help make these opportunities available to everyone.

We believe that everyone is created equal, and we take the American Dream seriously. One of the best ways to make these ideals a reality for everyone is to offer free online educational material to our youth.

This is the vision behind the non-profit WatchKnow.org. WatchKnow has indexed over 15,000 online educational videos for children, putting them into a directory of over 3,000 categories. The videos are available without any registration or fees to teachers in the classroom and to students at home 24/7. You can dive into our innovative directory or search by subject and age level. Video titles, descriptions, age level information, and ratings are all edited for usefulness. The site invites broad participation in a new kind of wiki system, guided by teachers. We have had a tremendously positive response from educators to the website.

WatchKnow is a project of the non-profit 501(c)(3) Community Foundation of Northwest Mississippi, and is directed by Dr. Larry Sanger, best known as co-founder of Wikipedia, and edited by a group of editors and assistants, all trained as educators.

WatchKnow plans to index over 50,000 educational videos by the end of 2010. Imagine, in the long run, cataloguing and creating millions of short videos, so that one can quickly and easily find a top-quality video on absolutely anything a child is studying. If we come together, we can great such a resource.

WatchKnow has additional plans. We want to give everyone a boost in learning, even from the earliest years. We are thus presently sponsoring early childhood reading in daycare centers in Memphis, Tennessee, and are helping to arrange a study of the effects of this program. Sanger is also drawing on his experience with online encyclopedias to plan an innovative multimedia encyclopedia for early childhood. Additionally, WatchKnow is in the start-up phase of a program to enlist top tier private and public schools to capture their classrooms on video. The videos will be hosted by WatchKnow.

Please sign up! WatchKnow needs everyone's help. We need you to find the best free videos and embed or link to them here, we need excellent schools to video their classrooms, we need governmental and school districts help to make these educational videos possible in the classrooms, we need the support of parents and teachers, and of course we need students to use our website.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 11:38:06 pm »
http://www.radiolovers.com/

Welcome to RadioLovers.com - Where Old Radio Shows Live Again!

Whether you want to discover the best radio shows from the past or remember what the best adventure, crime, pulp, sci-fi, noir and more! There was a time before the iPods, Video on Demand, 3D, the Internet and online video games; back in the day sitting around the living room radio was a family tradition. Every night, families and their neighbors would come together and listen to radio broadcasts of Sherlock Holmes, Groucho Marx, The Avenger, Gunsmoke, Perry Mason, Superman and more. Radio broadcasts were so much a part of everyday life they could influence mass movements, such as the night Orson Welles told millions about an impending alien invasion... a "War of the Worlds." Re-live those times with the largest online archive of vintage radio shows, available to you for FREE!

To listen/download:

Browse around our categories list and find the vintage radio show/episode you want to listen to. On the link, right-click and select "Save As" on the menu and your mp3 download will begin shortly. From there, listen to it from your iTunes, Windows Media Player or any other media program. You can also upload the shows to your iPod, iPhone, Nexus One, Zune, BlackBerry, or any other mp3 player device.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 06:51:37 am »
http://www.radiolovers.com/

Stephen

Here I am just finishing up downloading all the interesting stuff from Archive.com and you just have to find this to get me going again. 

Thanks.  Added to the master list.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 01:21:38 pm »
LOL, well I have to keep you on your toes man.

I just love some of that old stuff. America really doesn't do that much anymore, but I hear Britain still does, and to a lesser extent, Canada.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 10:27:04 pm »
LOL, well I have to keep you on your toes man.

I just love some of that old stuff. America really doesn't do that much anymore, but I hear Britain still does, and to a lesser extent, Canada.

Stephen

Using my netbook and the library high speed wireless I can download radio shows faster than I can create the individual directories.  With the new battery I bought yesterday I have a total battery life in excess of 9 hours so I can download a lot of radioshows now.  :)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 08:02:51 pm »
The Khan Academy

The Khan Academy is a not-for-profit organization with the mission of providing a high quality education to anyone, anywhere.

We have 1400+ videos on YouTube covering everything from basic arithmetic and algebra to differential equations, physics, chemistry, biology and finance which have been recorded by Salman Khan. Listen to a recent interview by Salman with NPR's All Things Considered

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 06:53:36 am »
Bell System Technical Journal, 1922-1983

With this posting of the Bell System Technical Journal from volume 1 issue 1 in July 1922 to the final issue published in December 1983, we are pleased to be able to open the vault of this knowledge to our global technical colleagues.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 02:43:45 pm »
Coursea

Learn from 338 courses, from 62 universities.

Online courses and Classes on the web

Over 500 courses from the world's leading universities - right at your fingertips.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 04:18:05 pm »
I was wondering what are they alternative to Microsh*t software?

I have something to replace Word, but I was looking for a software to replace Excel. I have only find a Excel reader, but I want something to wright like you can do with Excel.

I can't wait to try this Unbut software to replace Winsh*t. Not i want to replace all that is Microsh*t hackware.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 10:13:25 am »
OpenStax

About Us

OpenStax is a nonprofit based at Rice University, and it’s our mission to improve student access to education. Our first openly licensed college textbook was published in 2012, and our library since scaled to more than 20 books for college and AP courses used by hundreds of thousands of students. Our adaptive learning technology, designed to improve learning outcomes through personalized educational paths, is being piloted in college courses across the country. Through our partnerships with philanthropic foundations and our alliance with other educational resource companies, OpenStax is breaking down the most common barriers to learning and empowering students and instructors to succeed.

Learn more about how state policy leaders can support initiatives like OpenStax here.

Visit our Support page for help using OpenStax textbooks, OpenStax CNX, OpenStax Tutor, or OpenStax Concept Coach.

Looking for more information about the OpenStax mission and organizational operations? Visit our FAQ page.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 03:19:54 pm »
Galaxy Magazine Archive

Archive.org has made available 355 issues of Galaxy Magazine for free access. Galaxy Science Fiction was an American digest-size science fiction magazine, published from 1950 to 1980 with stories from many sci-fi greats [including Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury, and Robert Heinlein]. At its peak, Galaxy greatly influenced the science fiction field. See also Open Culture and The Verge for more about the history of a magazine that help shape the imaginations of a generation of techies..