Topic: "SFCIII Editor" utility WIP  (Read 59914 times)

Offline GQMarkDawg

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: "SFCIII Editor" utility WIP
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2009, 08:11:18 pm »
I think it's possible for 2 people to have the same Idea at once.

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Galactic Foriegn Legion
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2009, 08:35:38 pm »
First off Oirams program was from scratch. He added everything in one package and one editor. From hardpoints to adding models to editing core loadout and common settings. There is no other program that incorporates all functions in one. So why not give credit where its due? Is D.net that worried that someone else who tries to helo the community may just make something better? Recognize what hes giving you and not bash someone for trying to help the community. Just get off the high horse. We are all friends here and should treat each other that way.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2009, 09:35:56 pm »
First off Oirams program was from scratch. He added everything in one package and one editor. From hardpoints to adding models to editing core loadout and common settings. There is no other program that incorporates all functions in one. So why not give credit where its due? Is D.net that worried that someone else who tries to helo the community may just make something better? Recognize what hes giving you and not bash someone for trying to help the community. Just get off the high horse. We are all friends here and should treat each other that way.

I don't see GreenValve's comment as a High Horse.  He has the tongue out smiley, people have been touchy on the board recently.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
  • Sfc3files Dept Site Admin
« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2009, 11:41:00 pm »
I think it's possible for 2 people to have the same Idea at once.

What the hell?  I was being sarcastic (note the friggin' smiley)... I was just pointing out that the layout is quite similar, observe...

Now, I'm not going to get bent out of shape over this as that would be pathetic.  He did write the code from scratch (he had to, there's no way he could have understood that god-aweful code I wrote for that utility), and, as a fellow programmer, I respect that.  I take this as sort of flattery that I may have been an inspiration in some part, if any.

As marstone said, ya'll are getting touchy.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:53:57 pm by Greenvalv »

Offline GQMarkDawg

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2009, 11:52:31 pm »
Green my point still stands I bet you both thought of it around the same time.  :angel:

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2009, 11:55:16 pm »
Green my point still stands I bet you both thought of it around the same time.  :angel:
Alexander Graham Bell beat the other guy to the patent office by 20 minutes.  ;D

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2009, 12:53:49 am »

Dude... you need to stop for a second, consider that if a post has two possible meanings, and one pisses you off the poster probably meant the other.  Next time hold your tounge and verify before you decide to make an ass of yourself.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline GFLOiram

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2009, 05:42:56 am »
Sorry to cause this much concern.  I must admit that I did wriite the Items editor from scratch but when I saw Greenvalv's layout it impressed me so I just moved everything around to look better. No Credit is intended to be taken away from him and I'm not really a good programmer, just very basic. I'm sure that his program may be better written and may provide more features, all I asked was for an evulation and bug reports. From what I read further up he wrote his in Java( I think)  mine is in VB.net.
I apologise if Offkey ruffeled a few feathers  but he is protective of his GFL Family   :-* :-*

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2009, 06:14:18 am »
Sorry to cause this much concern.  I must admit that I did wriite the Items editor from scratch but when I saw Greenvalv's layout it impressed me so I just moved everything around to look better. No Credit is intended to be taken away from him and I'm not really a good programmer, just very basic. I'm sure that his program may be better written and may provide more features, all I asked was for an evulation and bug reports. From what I read further up he wrote his in Java( I think)  mine is in VB.net.
I apologise if Offkey ruffeled a few feathers  but he is protective of his GFL Family   :-* :-*

Can understand that.  Heck more years back then I can really count I was GFL.  ;)
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2009, 05:04:16 pm »
Sorry to cause this much concern.  I must admit that I did wriite the Items editor from scratch but when I saw Greenvalv's layout it impressed me so I just moved everything around to look better.  No Credit is intended to be taken away from him
Thanky sire, thanky
and I'm not really a good programmer, just very basic.
Ah, BS, you've outrun me.
I'm sure that his program may be better written and may provide more features,
:laugh:  You should see my god-aweful old code I wrote my earlier attempts with.  Whenever I look back through that code, I think to myself, "What was I thinking?!"
all I asked was for an evulation and bug reports. From what I read further up he wrote his in Java( I think)  mine is in VB.net.
VB.net aye?  There's another guy out there I've talked to doing his version in C#.net.  As in your case, he's using a similar layout to mine.
I assumed as much... no hard feelings to GFL Offkey.  Let's let this go...  8)

Offline GFLOiram

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2009, 08:49:34 am »
One Question I would like to ask about the refit program...Why is it that if you change the 'Mix Racial Technology' from  1 to 0
the game crashes or locks up when doing Single Player Campaigns with a Mod installed but runs fine if you change them around if the Original Game is installed

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2009, 11:20:30 am »
Does the mod have mixed tech already on ships?

Offline GFLOiram

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2009, 06:52:17 pm »
I Presume so....I know that the AI such as Pirates, species, Cardissians  etc  have

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Galactic Foriegn Legion
« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2009, 08:14:22 am »
Thanks green I loose my mind from too many 18 to 20hr work days. Will be very careful next time and read when awake. As far as the mix racial technology if the mod was made without it on and the common settings arent set for it then yes it could cause a n issue

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2010, 11:30:51 pm »
Let's get this party restarted shall we?

Wow, here I am AGAIN... a year ago I thought the code I was writing was magnificent... it's horrid, the design choices I had made were flawed to the core.  Amazing how a bachelor's degree and another year can change one's perception significantly as I thought it couldn't get much better than that.  *archives code for reference only*

BTW, I've seen the utility the Oiram wrote and I must say, well done sir.  I really don't have to write one now, but I promised myself I would write one of my own and I will even if it takes me another year, da'gummit.  I have ideas brewing... big ones too, and with the know-how I've accumulated over this past year of college I believe I can implement them with more ease than in my crazy, haphazard, younger days.  Now all I have to do is get off my lazy tush and start doing something productive. 

P.S.  The screenshots of what would have been the overall editor as seen in this thread are scrap now.  That project's source code, however incomplete it is, is getting archived.  I have more convenient ui's in mind.  Screenshots when I get to it... hopefully soon. :D

P.S.S.  Since I took software engineering last semester which emphasized the overall software design process, I think I'm going to follow that (i.e. documenting what I want to do first before I jump the gun and implement it before I have the overall picture).  I'll try to include ya'll in on it and hopefully grab some input from ya'll.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2010, 02:54:01 am »
Eagerly awaiting more updates.  :-D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.