Topic: Karma System Says Goodbye to D.net  (Read 4836 times)

Offline Braxton_RIP

• Lt. Commander
    • Dynaverse.net
Karma System Says Goodbye to D.net
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:30:33 pm »
As I've now spent WAY too much time on the Karma system, Frey and I were talking about our cars on the phone today (Yeah, we are big dorks, w/e).  We agreed that it is ridiculous that our moderators, admins and ourselves spend hours a week on petty issues with Karma (Which is completely useless other than a feel good pat on the back for getting someone to click the link.)

Thusly, in the tradition of the King himself, Karma has left the building!  No longer will Frey and I have to keep a record list of "Fastest response to a Karma dink" awards on D.net.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:48:53 pm by FVA_Braxton_XC »
Braxton,
Old Geezer

Typical Fleet:
F-DNL, F-CB, F-CLC
Braxton's Fleet:
F-CVTCR, F-BTR, F-BTL+

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: Karma System Says Goodbye to D.net
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 02:14:47 pm »
May be all bow our heads for Karma.

Naw, if it was killing productivity and causing a maintenance headache.  I say a happy fairwell to Karma.  The time can be used much better then giving little pats on the back, IMHO.

May you actually have a life now that you don't have to maintain it.

Marstone
/|\
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 03:56:07 pm »
Actually, I like the karma..it let's me know when I've been witty enough to actually get someone's hand to move thier mouse, and the same for the negative..at least someone made an effort after I pissed them off..either way, some emotions where brought forth..

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 04:23:17 pm »
Long overdue Braxton, no reason you and Frey should have to spend one second worrying about a karma system, you guys have lives you know.  Anyhow, if you like what someone posted you can still quote them say you approve and type a "+1" in regognition.  This tells the person which post you liked and has no limit on the amount of "+1s" that you can give.  Additionally no ill will for real or percieved negetive karma sniping. 

The old karma system had good aspects too, but not enough you being taken away from your spare time to monitor it.  I think you made a good call here.

P.S.  +1 to you.   ;D

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 05:53:03 pm »

Now it's on to find some other suitable time wasting technique ... we haven't had a good xxxx_You_Bastard thread  in ages ;D

dave

Offline Braxton_RIP

• Lt. Commander
    • Dynaverse.net
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 06:37:37 pm »

Now it's on to find some other suitable time wasting technique ... we haven't had a good Hexx_You_Bastard thread  in ages ;D

dave

Corrected the quote there for ya ;)
Braxton,
Old Geezer

Typical Fleet:
F-DNL, F-CB, F-CLC
Braxton's Fleet:
F-CVTCR, F-BTR, F-BTL+

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 08:39:25 pm »

Now it's on to find some other suitable time wasting technique ... we haven't had a good xxxx_You_Bastard thread  in ages ;D

dave

When you want time wasting techniques, you have 2 choices.  First, let me think of something worthless to do.  Second, work for the U.S. Senate.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 03:22:50 pm »
cool, now that karma no longer reminds us how PC we have been, we can finally say whats on our minds.

LOOK OUT all, MaddogK is off his leash !!!
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:00:31 pm »
I do not regret the loss of negative Karma, I do mind the loss of positive Karma. I miss being able to give positive karma when somebody makes me laugh, helps me out, helps someone else out... In fact, I made a habit of only giving positive karma, very rarely negative.

Whether or not you are nice, considerate or helpful to somebody has NOTHING to do with politics, and politics is only part of one small dirty back room area of our forums that we even hide from the public.

You will find that those who did spoil Karma for us participate only in political discussions here and contribute little to the community.