Poll

Do you like Atom's design? (design belonging to Atolm)

Yes, she's a beauty and that design would really work as a fleet shuttle/fighter carrier
Yes, she's a beauty but the design wouldn't actually work as a carrier
No, she's a dog but the concept would work as a carrier
No, she's a dog and the design wouldn't work as a carrier
Ambivalent about her looks and the design would work as a carrier
Ambivalent about her looks and the design wouldn't work as a carrier

Topic: TOS SuperCarrier  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
TOS SuperCarrier
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:48:24 pm »
Hi all, take a look at this!

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163378610.0.html

Atolm's (Atom has) put together a really sweet-looking TOS Federation carrier concept. Atom's (Atolm is) a real fan of asymmetric designs and has a fabulous imagination and serious sketching and modelling talents. I wanna know what you think of his concept, because I find it quite striking.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
Re: TOS SuperCarrier
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:01:11 pm »
I would hate to see how that cow handled in a gravity field. Maybe the thing holding the nacelles could go around the ship entirely instead of just one side. I always thought ST needed carriers of some type.  Unless ship v. shuttle is so one-sided the concept proved impractical.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 01:31:01 pm »
The design isn't too bad, but I don't really see TOS in it.  It looks more like a carrier from the first movie.

That being said, the large flight decks would work very nice in launching strikes quickly.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 05:22:22 pm »
Funny... everyone so far seems spread out about how they feel about the looks, but everyone so far thinks it'd be a good target... err... carrier. Personally, I agree that it wouldn't be TOS, but other than that it looks wonderful and I wouldn't mind having seen something like that as canon.

Some Navy habits are hard to break. Carrier=Surface Ship. Surface Ship=Target. In this case, a carrier is a big, loud, fast moving priority target. If you ever get the chance to tour one, or better yet see one in dry-dock from underneath, by all means take it. You won't be disappointed.

I'd been following that particular thread for a while, and Atolm's done a fantastic job.

Czar "So many stories about the 'targets', so little time." Mohab

P.S. I might be persuaded to type out a few.

US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 05:46:30 pm »
Funny... everyone so far seems spread out about how they feel about the looks, but everyone so far thinks it'd be a good target... err... carrier. Personally, I agree that it wouldn't be TOS, but other than that it looks wonderful and I wouldn't mind having seen something like that as canon.

I will agree.  This carrier would look nice in the Movies, or even on DS9 or such.  But as a TOS fan of ship style, it doesn't fit my eye.  But it is a very cool looking ship.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 08:40:27 pm »
How do ya want me to vote: I think she's dog-ass ugly, but I love the design because of that. It would work great as a carrier...even though we've never seen one in Trek. Never mind that I would like to...

I'm not fond of the nacelle struts. The over and under nacells I can do, but the goofy half circlular strut assembly? I'd hav just left the nacelles in the traditional position, but...odd ships DO flip my switch. It either belongs in TMP, TNG or even pre-TOS. It would need to be more bulbous and glossy to have originated in TOS.

--guv
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 09:09:09 pm »
I like it in an offbeat kind of way, I'm just not a fan of asymmetry for asymmetry's sake. The same ship could be built in a more economical and practical fashion in a variation of this layout...

It's funny, I was tinkering with the image before I'd ever saw this thread.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:44:18 am by Vipre »
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 01:47:58 am »
Guv: If you like her (for whatever reason) and think she'd work as a carrier, vote#1. It's (it is) typical that you're (you are) contrary enough to love her because she's (she is) ugly - in your eyes.

I'm kinda surprised so many of you think she's not TOS-looking. In Atolm's original sketch - the one you see at the very beginning of the thread - the design screams TOS to me, no doubt as Atolm intended. She's big and blocky, and with Vipre's alteration (alteration belonging to Vipre) she could be a predecessor of the TMP-style Ark Royal class, if maybe not as big.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Hstaphath_XC

• The Official Bard of XenoCorp
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Captain, XC Hydran Squadron
    • The XC Bard's Corner
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 10:00:29 am »
I really like the primary and secondary hulls, but agree with Vipre in regards to the nacelle placement.

Looking at the back view of Atolm's work, the way the nacelle pylons and struts are so close to the starboard impulse exhaust strikes me as a very bad idea... the exact sort of problem one would use odd pylons like that to avoid, I think.
Hilaritas sapientiae et bonae vitae proles.