Topic: The Last Temptation  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
The Last Temptation
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:12:39 pm »
It's on History Channel right now. I can't believe it, on public TV. I wonder if they'll run the whole thing? What will they cut?

Ditch that contrived BSG crap on Space and check out the best movie you will see in a long time. Incredible soundtrack. Crank it.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: The Last Temptation
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 11:36:36 pm »
Down here, DirecTV had one of those See what HBO offers so will tease you over the weekend in case you want to buy sells.

Since Friday, me and Denny have been hooked on John Adams. It looks like we will order HBO to see how it plays out.

I haven't seen Last Temptation in decades.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 06:48:36 am »
Yes, that John Adams series does look good from what I see in the ads.

Well, the History Channel did not cut any critical content from The Last Temptation. I'm impressed. (Though they tend to run way too many commercials) Watching it every Easter is a bit of a tradition with me, it is funny, a group of us used to go the alternative theatre (having imbibed a particular dielthylamide) every Easter Sunday Morning to watch The Last Temptation of Christ in an appropriately existential state of mind.

I'm going to have "A Different Drum" and "With This Love" from the soundtrack stuck in my head now until I dig out the CD and play it at 11 a few times. Such powerful music.

Unsurprisingly, it was run on Ann Medina's "History on Film" (Ann is an old CBC vet, described as ubiquitous) - what I did learn though, is that the author: Nikos Kazantzakis has a number of infuential and impressive works. I'm most curious about his novel entitled Saint Francis. If I have a patron...  I've heard about his most popular work "Zorba the Greek" many times, but have never read it, I think I should.

Ann also mentioned a film she saw called "He Who Must Die", that "blew her away". If it blew the mind of Ann Medina, then I too must see it. I trust the CBC as a cultural guide, even though this is the History Channel I'm talking about; Ann will always be CBC. You can take the girl out of the CBC but you can't take the CBC out of the girl...

I found my Passion CD! I'm off to crank track 7: "A Different Drum". Some of the most expressive vocalisations I have ever heard. I believe this work was hugely influential on Peter's subsequent works and the congealment (sorry, I cannot think of exactly the right word) of Real World Records. A lot of artists owe gratitude to the path that soundtrack set Peter on.

Offline Beeblebrox

• Existential Warfare
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 03:22:28 am »
Is Passion of the Christ the one where Jesus hallucinates torrid sexual encounters with Mary Magnalene while he's hammered up on the cross?  Ha!  I can remember the Christian "school" I was attending at the time passed out flyers warning us against the movie.  I believe there was a threat of expulsion if you were caught or admitted to seeing in. 
"Out swords and to work with all!"---Cyrano de Bergerac

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 07:55:00 am »
I never saw Mel Gibson's movie. I could not be bothered (glitz). The Last Temptation says basically the same thing as Mel's film at one point (20 years earlier) but makes no big deal of it, its just part of the story and very understandable. The Last Temptation is the film with the hallucination on the cross, I would not say "torrid" but rather normal, nor is sex the focus of the film (as many misunderstood). The Last Temptation was nothing sexual - yes that was part of it but was not the "temptation" itself of concern or note. If I say much more it would spoil the movie for any who have not seen it. Every time I see it I understand it better. It is not the easiest film to grasp at first, it is rather overwhelming.

I will give folks one hint though... the quote "There is only one woman in the world..." is where the author tips his hand. ;)

So, Beeblebrox, The Last Temptation is the film you are thinking of and it was banned many places, though in time many conservative religious groups have come to accept and even admire the film. As I suggest, it really takes a few viewings to really get it. As with many Greek philosophers, you often need to re-read each paragraph a few times to fully grasp the complexity of the thoughts presented.

(I doubt that Blockbuster will ever carry it though... any company that chops the end of Catch 22 has no business in the film business... grrr!  >:()
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 08:12:20 am by Bonk »

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:17:00 am »
Exactly, One little scene with a Cobra sayig look at my breasts, and the world goes insane, But the Brutal non stop beating in Gibsons film, made me even eventually cringe.

Granted, I liked both films, one for It's uncanny ability to be ripped off, and made into The Da Vinci Code, whereas the other made Snuff Films ok to watch by the christian community yet again.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 05:07:21 pm »
one for It's uncanny ability to be ripped off, and made into The Da Vinci Code,

Insightful observation, however, I think we have to concede that the idea must be an old one. Nikos expressed it very well, but surely he was not the first to present the possibility.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 02:09:51 pm »
Exactly, One little scene with a Cobra sayig look at my breasts, and the world goes insane, But the Brutal non stop beating in Gibsons film, made me even eventually cringe.

Granted, I liked both films, one for It's uncanny ability to be ripped off, and made into The Da Vinci Code, whereas the other made Snuff Films ok to watch by the christian community yet again.

Stephen

I thought the brutality of the Gibson film was appropriate.  Crucification was not a pleasant way to die.  Depicting it in such a graphic manner helps to remove the glitz and highlight the message of the story.