Topic: Source Script Question  (Read 8106 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Source Script Question
« on: March 24, 2008, 08:40:08 am »
Hi

I have a question about the script sources that Taldren gave out. Do they include all the scripts, including Multiplayer Skirmishes, Battlefests and the like?

Also, I know that the version of the program (C++ 6.0?) that is used to modify and write scripts is old. Can it still be acquired and if so about how much would it cost?

Lastly, is the Scripting API on the installation disk the right one to use or has that been updated as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Source Script Question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 12:42:21 pm »
1) Yes.

2) Not sure and not much. (psst.. remember the days of all 1s?)
NOTE: It must be VC6SP5 with the following fixes: http://www.dinkumware.com/vc_fixes.html (in both your VC98 includes and the API includes). Efforts to port it to VC8 failed on discovering dependencies on third party libraries that cannot not be updated without the source.

3) Updated: http://www.khoromag.org/taldren/scripting_api/SFCOP_API_R2.zip

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 04:30:46 pm »
NOTE: It must be VC6SP5 with the following fixes: http://www.dinkumware.com/vc_fixes.html (in both your VC98 includes and the API includes). Efforts to port it to VC8 failed on discovering dependencies on third party libraries that cannot not be updated without the source.

Thanks Bonk.

So if I was to search or ask for this program "VC6SP5" would be the name I'd use or is there a company name or other identifier? I'm not sure what the rest means though, I'm definitely no programmer.

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:03:56 pm »

Thanks Bonk.

So if I was to search or ask for this program "VC6SP5" would be the name I'd use or is there a company name or other identifier? I'm not sure what the rest means though, I'm definitely no programmer.

You'd be looking for Visual C++ 6, service pack 5

dave

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:22:31 pm »
Thanks Dave.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:15:36 pm »
So would this be what I was looking for or does SP5 and other updates have to come as part of the original disk?

http://yahoo-ssp-cnet.com.com/c-languages/visual-c-6-0/4014-8030_9-30674962.html?tag=semclg&subj=q9385272236035

Thanks again.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:14:50 pm »
the service pack should be the update added to the base.  I would look at E-bay, I have seen it on there alot cheaper.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 10:16:28 pm »
It does not need to include the updates. If you cannot find a copy of the service pack 5 for VC6 online at MS, we can probably dig it up for you.

Wow $322! That sounds like too much to me, considering its age. I'd expect to be able to find it for less. The thing is a LOT of stuff is still done with VC6 and that may never change, keeping the value of this older item inflated.

I see a few used copies on Ebay, starting at $5 but their javascript was raping my browser and resources so I killed the page. Of course always double check the details on ebay (shipping). Another good ebay tip is to google the sellers name (possibly with ebay... like "seller ebay"). This will usually turn up any horror stories about the seller.

It seems to me I've occasionally seen old copies on store shelves for cheap since they've been there for years. I'd keep your eyes peeled in the shops for bit before you buy.

Another thing, is if you have just a few simple modifications to a some scripts you could just modify the sources and pass it on to someone here to compile it for you. (Though that could be a pain with a lot of repetitions)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:41:31 pm »
Oh I wasn't going to buy that I was just checking to see if that was the right thing. I believe I saw many locations to DL SP5 in my web search, but I didn't check any of them out yet. Actually I was checking on it for a friend that dabbles in programming. I was telling him about the game and the many missions that Taldren put out that didn't work right and he was asking what was needed to open them up. If he wants to get it he will find a place to get it.

Another thing, is if you have just a few simple modifications to a some scripts you could just modify the sources and pass it on to someone here to compile it for you. (Though that could be a pain with a lot of repetitions)

How would you do that without the program in the first place?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 10:52:30 pm »
How would you do that without the program in the first place?

Notepad would be my first choice. Vim and other text editors have nice syntax highlighting. Another choice is Eclipse (a free IDE [integrated development environment]) but it depends on java and is a little bulky, but many like it.

Bascially, just download the sources, edit them in the text editor of your choice, then compile! Unfortuanley MS's first free compiler was the 2003 toolkit I think (?) which will not work the SFC sources. (at least until we can figure out how to use the old libraries that we lack the source for with a VC8 linker...)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 09:13:16 am »
Well that's interesting. I'm not sure fixing the Taldren script issues would be considered "minor changes" considering the problems I know the scripters around here have had getting things to report and function correctly. But then again, they were always hampered by working in an already modded environment, trying to match what the players and server admins wanted from missions and shiplists. No one ever just tried to fix what we had and see how it worked in a stock environment before moving ahead. It was always just "lets move ahead!"

Some of the fixes are just making the PP payout more commensurate with the work being done or where missions appear. Many missions were deleted from the mission pool servers used because they didn't work like we wanted at the time. For example:

Deep Space Encounter only shows up in your own space and gives 250 PP no matter if your odds are 1v1, 1v2, 1v3, 2v2, 2v3, or 3v3 (in whatever enemy/ally combo's there are). This mission should show up in any hex (being a general combat mission) and scale payouts appropriate to the odds and ship classes faced. DV should be affected by it.

Others, like Recharge at Spacedock, are just broken and need to be fixed/rewritten. Some need to have the DV shift activated on them. There are a ton of other small and large tweaks to be done that I can't even remember anymore. I have to go through all the stock missions again and record what I find.

IMO all missions that require any type of combat should affect DV. After all, you are adding to the safety and security of your space or degrading someone else's. Missions that don't should be modified to make a task or puzzle worth the time in PP to give the player a reason to not be in a combat situation.

Well, thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have other questions if my friend thinks he wants to do this.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 09:45:22 am »
Many of the issues you describe are not necessarily determined by the script alone, but depend on code in the serverkit and client. You should see how battle victories and DV shifts are determined, it is very strange and convoluted logic, it looks like management had too much of a say in code structure and application "features"... ;)

(variable political tensions and the pirate layer being the main issues)

Though many of these issues can be addressed with careful map design and gf settings. (basically all tensions at either 0 or 100 and get the pirates out of the way or carefully align their tensions with the empires that overlay them...) What this amounts to is disabling many of the "features" of the serverkit that result in unpredictable and illogical behaviour.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:57:01 am by Bonk »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 09:59:19 am »
Oh I know things don't always get reported how you'd like when the server gets the info, but some of these missions weren't designed to affect DV anyway and I think they should. Working out how the server interprets it is one of the issues I mentioned scripters having earlier. I'm more concerned with getting the mission mechanics modified or working correctly. At least then they will work better in single player and the multiplayer issues could be addressed if there was an interest on that level. Most of the reporting issues happen with multiple opponents in a PvP situation anyway. Most time they work ok in single player.

Doesn't someone have the server code? Can't it be revised as well?

One more question  ;D Who would have the sources for the EAW to OP Campaign conversions (if they exsist soley in an OP form that is)?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:21:40 am by Corbomite »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 11:14:07 am »
Yes we do have the OP serverkit code, but modifying the battle reporting is rather complicated (remember my PvP DV shifts?). We still need to establish stability on MySQL before adding/removing any other "features". We dont currently have a system configured for testing. The only working development platform I am aware of is my machine (God I need to backup), but the problem is that I am on dialup and cannot run any tests.

We've got some other stuff on our plate right now (Dynavers.net/Xenocorp.net hardware upgrades). Once that is taken care of we can look at getting a working test server going again once the hardware shuffle is complete.

I see now what you mean oabout specific mission that do not affect DV, you could modify those easily enough without needing to do anything to the kit or client.

Firesoul's site has the EAW to OP campaign conversion sources I do believe... yup:
http://klingon.pet.dhs.org/EAW_missions/

(the odd part is that site is on a comast IP address, we used to be hosting it, but as far as I know that is no longer our IP address... weeiiirrddd. )

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 11:35:46 am »
Thanks Bonk!