Topic: DX9 update  (Read 7658 times)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
DX9 update
« on: March 28, 2008, 01:35:26 am »
I don't usually post M$ updates, but I found this a few days ago and installed it. There was  about a 10% improvement on 3DMark 06 after installing it on my machine! Might not be the same for everyone. I'm using an ATI 3870 which seems to suffer from ATI's typically weak drivers. (They usually get it sorted after a while lol)  Didn't get an automatic update prompt for it? So, I thought that I'd post it just in case others haven't heard abouit it either.

Quick Details
File Name:   dxwebsetup.exe
Version:   9.22.1284
Date Published:   3/13/2008
Language:   English
Download Size:   10 KB - 218.0 MB*

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: DX9 update
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 04:10:28 pm »
Nice find.  I'm a little surprised this wasn't included in the automatic updates.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 06:52:48 pm »
Exactly Javora.

Thanks for the note here.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 06:44:44 am »
10 KB - 218.0 MB*

Don't you just love network installers? They are useless on dialup, very few have resume capability.

218MB!! Holy cow! This sounds like dx10 backports.

So I take it we are at Directx 9d now? Is there an offline installer anywhere? (i.e. one that works for dialup users)

I take it that version 9.22.1284 is the version of the dxwebsetup.exe and not the actual directx install? My current directx 9.0c install reports itself as 4.09.0000.0904.

3/13/2008, publish date huh?  Let me take a look and see if there is a newer directx version or not....

I wish they would just post the actual installer. The end is near for MS if this kind of thing keeps up.

well, well, look at the related resouirces link on that page for "Latest DirectX Redist" - it gives a "We’re sorry, but we were unable to service your request." So I guess that's it for directx? (Don't tell me i need to enable javascript and activex to download a file? I like wget thanks, but it only works for real http links.)

Yup, looks like that page will not load without javascript. (arseholes >:()

It seems there is a new directx distribution. (directx_mar2008_redist.exe) But its still 9.0c? THis installer version is 9.22.1284 as well, I wonder what the resulting verison of directx would be?

I'm digging for a real http link, one that works for normal web connections without javascript.

Ah here we go, a direct http link to an actual file (offline installer) with no script in between and on a server that supports resume! (YAY!):
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/4/c/64c3d3d6-c5da-47eb-9db4-86e45b9f579e/directx_mar2008_redist.exe

It seems to me that directx used to be about a 30MB download? This one is 69.5MB, which strongly suggests directx 10 content.
(yup: directx_9c_redist.exe - 9.0c - 8/4/2004 - 33.5 MB)

That's better, and encouraging, I guess the end of MS is not so near, they still post actual file links (though you have to dig for em). Well they didn't actually post that link, and IE wont give it to you, but if you start the scripted download in firefox you can then get the actual donload url from the firefox downloads dialog, then stop the download and use the direct link with wget, stardownloader or whatever...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 02:02:09 pm by Bonk »

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 08:08:30 am »
My desktop download was 3 meg and my laptop 10 meg.  I'd wager the 218 is if you were on Directx 8.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 06:37:08 pm »
My desktop download in the end was 2.6 megs in size.

I think the longer between systemwide updates, the larger that download is gonna be.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 07:29:20 pm »
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm still going to go with the 69.5MB offline installer, and download it in pieces with stardownloader, as I just do not want to risk using a web installer for something as critical as directx. Should my dial-up connection drop mid-install who knows what would happen. Good chance it would competely bork my 7 year old XP install.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 09:14:44 am »
Installed it this morning, sort of feels like the most improvement is in sound. Serious Sam 2 seems a litte snappier overall. It still reports itself as 9.0c (4.09.0000.09040). So far, so good! :)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 01:12:11 pm »
I did mine last night, IT came in at 5.2 MB. Haven't really noticed anything.

Did you all notice the Silverlight thing at the top of the page? Is Microsoft getting into the streaming buisness, een more so or something?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 05:20:04 pm »
Just installed it.. came out to 7.8MB for me.

Noticed just a few slight improvements overall in my games :)
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 07:39:41 pm »
The package has been out since March 6, 2008, it contains DirectX 9.0c version LE as well as DirectX 10.1 and is designed for XPSP 3 and Vista SP 1..

the reason it is not in the automatic updates is because it is supposedly included in the Vista Sp1 and XP SP 3 packages already.. so if you have the service package installed, you should already have the new DX.. but it never hurts to update again.. also I would run it after the service package install just to be on the safe side, to make sure all components installed correctly.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 08:04:59 pm »
Has WinXP service pack 3 been finalized yet?  I thought it was still in development, if SP3 hasn't been finalized yet then I don't want to install it.  I'll wait until SP3 is finished.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 08:27:41 pm »
SP3 hasn't been finalized yet.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 04:58:07 am »
The buzz for the most part about SP3 is that it'll be released as early as April, which is this month, with a late date of sometime around July.  Knowing Microsoft, I won't be surprised if it doesn't come out till August or even November.

Either way, when it comes out, I'm gonna slipstream it into my XP install discs.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 07:31:33 am »
DO NOT APPLY THIS UPDATE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - IT MAY INTERFERE WITH THE SFC DIRECTORY SERVERS!!!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 07:33:31 am »
DO NOT APPLY THIS UPDATE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - IT MAY INTERFERE WITH THE SFC DIRECTORY SERVERS!!!

*looks at Bonk's warning and then raises an eyebrow*

Hmmm............too late.

*shrugs, then grabs a shotgun*

What direction should I start walking in?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 07:42:21 am »
it contains DirectX 9.0c version LE

What does LE stand for? Have you installed it and can you still see the directory servers?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 07:43:59 am »

Try logging in to see wht you get, this is a good opportunity to test.

If this has borked the Dyna on us, I will find a solution one way or another, if it means manually overwriting dlls from a boot CD or command prompt.

If this did break it and I can't fix it, then you can shoot me.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 07:10:33 pm »

Try logging in to see wht you get, this is a good opportunity to test.

If this has borked the Dyna on us, I will find a solution one way or another, if it means manually overwriting dlls from a boot CD or command prompt.

If this did break it and I can't fix it, then you can shoot me.

I'll let you know in a few days.  I gotta install SFC3.  Haven't flown in a very long time.

And I can't shoot you.  I need you around. 

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 03:21:46 am »
Ok, managed to install SFC3.  My mom is sleeping right now so I have access to my computer right now.

I was able to log onto the D3 and saw the active servers on the server list without problem.  Just had to disable my firewall.  Always have had to do that. 

Without logging onto an actual camp server, I can't say 100% that there are no problems, but I doubt there are any with the Direct X update.

Haven't tested OP directory server access, but I would think that OP pilots wouldn't have a problem either logging on.