Topic: Kubuntu - New Video Card  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Kubuntu - New Video Card
« on: April 01, 2008, 07:34:34 am »
Hi folks, my Kubuntu install has been borked ever since I installed my new video card. (Matrox G450 --> NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500)

Anyone have any tips to get my Kubuntu install working again? (other than putting the Matrox back in?)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
Re: Kubuntu - New Video Card
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:13:28 am »
Using the recovery mode boot option I can get to the command prompt but what then? Do I need to install proprietary Nvidia drivers or something?

Nemesis! Halp! It's going to take me all day to find the answer to this on dial-up.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:36:19 am »
A nice fellow over on the Kubuntu forums helped me out:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3092846.0

Code: [Select]
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Set me on the path to recovery, I'm posting from my Kubuntu install now. ;D

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:17:07 pm »
Nemesis! Halp! It's going to take me all day to find the answer to this on dial-up.

Sorry Bonk this is the first I've seen this.  Even if I had seen it earlier my Linux skills are pretty low so I would have been looking for the same answers on dialup too.  I haven't even been able to get my PDA to connect to the Linux machine yet :( (not that I've tried that hard yet) and never did manage to replicate your OP on Wine success.

Have you tried LinuxMint (Ubuntu derivative) yet?  I'm using their KDE version 3 on this machine but I'm working with version 4 on another machine and my laptop.  Mint is less "picky" about including non open source things like nVidea drivers and since it isn't aimed at the U.S. it includes things like DVD playback in the normal install.  Version 4 also enables the root account.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 08:33:39 pm »
No prob, I just thought you might have had a quick answer for me if you were around, but the guys over at the Kubuntu forums fixed me up.

I haven't given Mint a try yet, but I have been intrigued by your posts about it. If I cant get OP running on wine on my Kubuntu install again perhaps I'll give it a try. Or maybe Mandriva which You-Cheng had success with.