Topic: 282-MPG VW  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
282-MPG VW
« on: July 05, 2008, 06:37:53 pm »
Link to full article

Volkswagen's had its super-thrifty One-Liter Car concept vehicle -- so named because that's how much fuel it needs to go 100 kilometers -- stashed away for six years. The body's made of carbon fiber to minimize weight (the entire car weighs just 660 pounds) and company execs didn't expect the material to become cheap enough to produce the car until 2012.

But VW's decided to build the car two years ahead of schedule.

According to Britain's Car magazine, VW has approved a plan to build a limited number of One-Liters in 2010. They'll probably be built in the company's prototype shop, which has the capacity to build as many as 1,000 per year. That's not a lot, but it's enough to help VW get a lot of attention while showing how much light weight and an efficient engine can achieve.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
Re: 282-MPG VW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 07:20:29 pm »
Now for the safety crash tests.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 07:50:05 pm »
Now for the safety crash tests.

It should do better than a motorcycle anyway.  ;) 

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:59:23 pm »
That car is so awesome.  Gimme.  Gimme.  Gimme.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 12:14:10 am »
Something tells me a car such as this would not be Fluffy-friendly, and when I say Fluffy-friendly, well, ya gotta see Gabriel Iglesias' Comedy Central special Hot and Fluffy to understand.

Other than that, any technology that increases gas mileage is a good thing.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 01:09:30 am »
(Update: The car reportedly has anti-lock brakes, stability control and airbags. According to Canadian Driver, "Volkswagen says the One-Liter Car is as safe as a GT sports car registered for racing. With the aid of computer crash simulations, the car was designed with built-in crash tubes, pressure sensors for airbag control and front crumple zones.") 
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 05:18:19 am »
(Update: The car reportedly has anti-lock brakes, stability control and airbags. According to Canadian Driver, "Volkswagen says the One-Liter Car is as safe as a GT sports car registered for racing. With the aid of computer crash simulations, the car was designed with built-in crash tubes, pressure sensors for airbag control and front crumple zones.") 

But is it Fluffy-friendly?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 03:41:10 pm »

As long as fluffy stays the hell off of the highway, sure.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 11:15:31 pm »

As long as fluffy stays the hell off of the highway, sure.

Awww, that's not nice.  Us Fluffy-endowed fellows have every right to drive on the freeway.  What I still can't get over is the fact that the DMV gave me a driver's license.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 11:45:43 pm »
(scratches head)  I'm guessing Fluffy isn't the pet dog..

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 11:48:20 pm »
(scratches head)  I'm guessing Fluffy isn't the pet dog..

According to Gabriel Iglesias, Fluffy is one of the 5 levels of fat.  There's: Big, Healthy, Husky, Fluffy, and DAMN!!!

I used to have a cat named Fluffy, but we called him Fussy.  You couldn't hold him or give him a bath without him screaming at the top of his lungs.  If you heard it walking by my house, you'd think we were literally torturing the poor cat.  I miss Fussy.