Topic: GMax2MOD plugin  (Read 27698 times)

Offline wulf111

• Member of OutaLance Shipyards
  • Lt.
  • OutaLance, Where Dreams Become a Reality
Re: Really awesome modeling development (IMHO)
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 01:38:50 pm »
ran into a little issue when exporting from GMAX it seems that all the normals are flipped when viewed in the model viewer has anyone else had this issue?

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 03:34:32 pm »
I've done a couple of exports. One by importing and then exporting a stock Taldren model, with the LODs. The second by importing a .3ds model that I made and then exporting it. Both exported fine.

Did you make the model in GMax, or did you import it into GMax?

If you imported it, what format was it in?
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Potemkyn

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 10:00:32 pm »
Cool!  Maybe this won't load my system down so much.

Mike

Offline wulf111

• Lt.
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 06:38:25 am »
I've done a couple of exports. One by importing and then exporting a stock Taldren model, with the LODs. The second by importing a .3ds model that I made and then exporting it. Both exported fine.

Did you make the model in GMax, or did you import it into GMax?

If you imported it, what format was it in?

i made the model in GMAX and exported it to .mod format. maybe it is just me then.

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 07:38:56 am »
I just made a sphere and exported it to .mod and it was OK. It's possible you accidentally reversed the normals while making the model?

If it persists send me the model and I'll have a look to see what's going on. If there's a bug I want to sort it out.

Offline wulf111

• Lt.
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:56 am »
Must have been something i did with that particular model that screwed it up.i even imported the .mod and it was fine.  i exported a few other quickly made parts with no problem.

all in all it is great. GMAX doesn't have the overhead that 3DS Max does and runs alot smoother on older systems. also for some reason the boolean functions tend to work better as well.

great job on these plugins i am sure that this will open up alot of new modelers to SFC since it is a great program that is also free.

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
  • Sfc3files Dept Site Admin
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 01:51:53 pm »

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 03:22:01 pm »
Cool to see some modeling coming from these. Here's a renderer for Gmax. It allows you, with a bit of effort, to export your Gmax scene to Yafray. You might like it better than the mod viewer.

http://www.4shared.com/file/57412627/789a9a21/gmaxrender.html?dirPwdVerified=ae1a9a1c

yochenhsieh

Re: GMax2MOD plugin
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 07:40:47 pm »
This is the gmax forum if you need more info about using gmax.
http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Index.cfm/stgAct/ForumList/intGroupID/1004

Don't forget to download and install the help and tutorial file! They are very useful.;-)
http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 05:30:20 pm »
The BC plugins are great.  On some models that I port from BC to SFC, I get these smoothing group errors when I use MS3D.

But, when I use the plugins for MAX/GMAX, I don't get those smoothing group errors.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 10:27:38 pm »
Ya'll, remember you can upload stuff for distribution here on D.net

If you click on the frontpage (click on the dynaverse banner in the up right corner) then click on Downloads, then Library upload, you can upload it to the D.net FTP.

Send me a brief note about it and I'll move it to the proper location, and send you back a link to post for DL's.

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Justicar

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 03:09:32 am »
Perhaps someone here can help me out?  I seem to be having trouble with the Star Union dreadnought. 

It works fine in SFC ModViewer...

Anim8or doesn't seem to import .mod, unless I've missed something...?

Zmodeler 1.x doesn't believe it's actually a .mod file, 2.x doesn't have .mods as a supported option (that I've seen, anyway).

It crashes MilkShape 1.8.3 (with the Assimsoft plug-in) every time it tries to load (but MS works fine with most other models).

GMax 1.2 will load it, but I can't output it to anything useful other than .nif (from the nif-tools plug-in for Max), which should work, but I have 3ds Max 2009 (aka Rev 11), and the nif-tools only support through Rev 9.

It loads fine in Ultimate Unwrap 3D, but the lousy demo doesn't give even a single save.  And since there's no returns on the software, I'm not inclined to blow $50 for one model on the chance that it might export to something useful.

Basically, I'm not having any luck, regardless of what I try.  I just want to get the model into .3ds (or .lwo, or .3dm, or .stl or something that's bloody useful).  Any chance somebody here can help me out?  Please?  And no, I wouldn't upload it without permission.  I may be new, but I'm suicidal  :-X  Thanks in advance.

\edit

After further gnashing of teeth, I finally found where Atheorhaven said to go to http://outalance.battleclinic.com/atheorhaven/html/_sgg/m1m3s1_1.htm for some useful tools, where I found moddxfv1.zip.  It's a .mod to .dxf converter and it works flawlessly and is super simple.  From .dxf I can get it into whatever I need, so I'm happy (after two frakking days...sigh).  Thanks to Stealth/darkjedi for writing this useful tool.

/edit
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:32:32 am by Justicar »

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2008, 01:56:27 pm »
Has there been any progress on the SOD importer-exporter?

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2008, 03:19:01 pm »
Has there been any progress on the SOD importer-exporter?

I've just sent off an email to Rockstar games. They acquired Mad Doc software. Maybe they have the .SOD source code and maybe they'll release it? We'll see?

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 06:04:54 pm »
I wonder if your contact would be willing to compile new SFC plugins for MAX 9.  One can hope.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline RBM

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2008, 03:41:51 pm »
I wonder if anyone else has run into this issue. On starting Gmax 1.2, I'm getting notifications that the two SFC plugins aren't initializing.

Any guesses? Thanks.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 03:55:40 pm »
Here's some things to check/try. Post if it sorts it out for you.

1, Have you installed the winmm.dll into the main gmax directory (That's what allows the plugins to work. ) and the plugins into the gmax/plugins directory?

2, You could try installing the niftools-max-plugins. They give you a new .exe called "nifgmax.exe"  to start the program from.

3, Are you certain that you have gmax 1.2?

4, Make sure you have the gmax plugins and not the 3ds studio max plugins.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 04:19:22 pm »
On the subject of Armada plugins... Rockstar has directed me to Activision, unfortunately. I have filled out a customer service form with Activision, but I don't hold out a lot of hope. We'll see.

Offline RBM

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2008, 07:22:41 am »
Here's some things to check/try. Post if it sorts it out for you.

1, Have you installed the winmm.dll into the main gmax directory (That's what allows the plugins to work. ) and the plugins into the gmax/plugins directory?
Yep, winmm.dll is tucked in with all the other DLLs and the plugins are in the right folder. Still get the message headed "Loading DLLs" and the failures.

2, You could try installing the niftools-max-plugins. They give you a new .exe called "nifgmax.exe"  to start the program from.
If it comes to it, I may give that a try.

3, Are you certain that you have gmax 1.2?
Yep, though I'm running on Win98 and noticed the winmm.dll is listed as one for NWN2, which IIRC, runs on XP and above. Might that be it?

4, Make sure you have the gmax plugins and not the 3ds studio max plugins.
The downloaded file, from Battleclinic, is listed as SFCgmax.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »
Might be the win98. I'm not sure if the NIF tools will help in that case. It's all that I can think of trying though. It works without the .dll file