Topic: A tiny taste...  (Read 4955 times)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
A tiny taste...
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:49:09 pm »
This sin't long at all, and has nothing to do with my other projects. But, enjoy...

Random Encounter

The IKS Gro’mokh slid silently through the cold black. Her engines were nearly dead, her exterior systems disabled. She was drifting along as stealthily as a D-7 battlecruiser could hope to do so.

Captain Dath’mar bent, practically crouched, over the back of his science officer’s chair as the both watched the readouts before them. The bridge’s air conditioning had been off line for hours. Both he and Commander Li’hoela sweated as if in an oven. The red tinted battle lamps made their flesh glisten in the half-light. The captain’s keen eyes narrowed on a series of energy spikes.

“There…that.” He said to the science officer, pointing at the flux.

“The subspace energy field around her is lessening. She is coming out of warp speed, my lord.”

“Distance?”

“Two million kelicams, closing.”

Dath’mar turned aside, focusing on his gunners.

“Prepare to target! Passive systems only!”

The chief gunnery officer nodded.

“Understood, my lord.”

Gro’mokh’s weaponry rested idle, no active power. In moments, when the attack began, they would be flash-armed from the battery. The batteries were heavily shielded, and with a little luck, would not be detected before it was too late for the enemy starship to form a defense.

“Enemy vessel now receiving a communication from Starfleet Command.” Informed the ship’s comm officer.

Dath’mar nodded, looking back to the sensor images of the Constitution-Class battlecruiser in his sights. Likely they warn this ship of the eminent war between them and our Empire, the captain thought.

“Range?”

Li’hoela glanced over, then back to her scopes.

“One point four million kelicams.”

Dath’mar stepped away from the science console, halting between the gunnery consoles. The Starfleet ship, a mighty Constitution-Class starship, was barely a dot on his viewer. His own ship would’ve been the same…if the human’s had known where to look. Their lack reaction told him they did not.

The thrill of this hunt…stalking and attacking…hoping to slay an unawares enemy. It made the Klingon captain feel as if he was out on the plain…spear in hand, stalking the sabercat. Some might say such a battle was not a true example of a warrior’s metal… Dath’mar however, thought is boasted well of his guile. And his commanders at Gas’kovan had ordered his squadron to make what surprise attacks they could.

Honor was satisfied, today.

Perhaps glory would be as well.

“Closing to weapons range.” Li’hoela told him.

Should he open fire at long range? Or should he close in further? Get in so close that he could bring his entire weapon’s array to bear? Dath’mar was reasonably sure only his entire weapons array would guarantee a sure kill.

“Stand by.” He told his gunners. The looked back up to him, sweaty and nervous.

And so they closed in. The minutes stretched on like hours. Time crawled, became a standstill. Dath’mar’s nails bit into his palms.

“Closing on disruptor range, Captain!” Li’hoela called out, triumph sounding in her voice.

“Arm weapons—“

Li’hoela broke off Dath’mar’s next order. The triumph was gone from her voice.

“They’re deflector beam has locked onto us! They detect us!”

“Shields!”

Dath’mar knew his order was fruitless. There was no power for shields. He’d gambled everything on the stealth approach. Now they were caught unshielded before the guns of a Starfleet monster. He had only one other recourse.

“Fire!”

Though well within disruptor range, Gro’mokh’s primary weapons were never the less without power. The chief gunnery officer jabbed in the commands that would power the one other weapon system at his disposal. The fore torpedo launcher. The deck shuddered with the launch of the first, then the second shot. Bluish-purple bolts of energy rushed out at the far away Federation cruiser. More and more shots rained forth, sluggishly slow as the weapon system drained the battery. Main power was only now trying to come online…

Impacts flared on the main viewer. Bright bursts of star fire blossomed ahead, so bright that Dath’mar knew it heralded only one thing. The enemy had raised their shields.
His preparations and guile had been wasted.

Then, blue bolts of return fire rained in.

The phaser blasts pelted the unshielded Gro’mokh, pounding her hull relentlessly. The thunder of the hull shook the entire ship, forcing it’s captain staggering into his command chair. The hits sounded dull, however, without the sharp crack of impacts.

Proximity detonations. The enemy has not yet centered on us!

“Maintain fire!”

More torpedoes rushed out, exchanged almost one for one with Starfleet phaser blasts. The shots closed in closer and closer to the D-7’s hull. “Get those shields up! Evasive!”

The first direct impact scored home.

Gro’mokh pitched over to port with the hit. The lighting failed, fluttering before it died. Men were tossed to the decks as sparks rained down from the overheads. Dath’mar had to cling to the armrests of his throne-like chair to keep from falling forth. The engineer tossed his shaggy head back toward the captain.

“Direct hit to engineering! Main power has failed!”

I have failed…

Dath’mar cursed, slamming heavy fists down on his armrests in futile exertion. Two more direct strikes found Gro’mokh before the enemy’s firing pattern passed over her battered hull.

“Report!”

“Weapons offline, shields non-functional!”

“Main tactical scanners dead! No power!”

“Hull breaches, engineering decks!”

Dath’mar had gone from commanding a fine cruiser of war to a scrap heap in a matter of seconds. And the enemy had yet to concentrate her fire…
They bracketed us with proximity fire, he thought. They do not have a definite lock. Now they will scan…

“Full impulse thrusters! Emergency turn to port, full power!” He shouted aft to the helmsman, one of the few who retained some control of this ship. “Return all systems to stealth status! Engineer! Vent the cargo and parts store compartments!”

USS Enterprise
2266 AD

Kirk came away from the red railing of his bridge, only now regaining his balance from the initial attack. The bursts on the viewer had faded. Sulu was looking into his sensor screens, scanning.

“We hit him, Captain!” Spock was reporting from the science console. “He’s hurt.”

Kirk stepped hesitantly toward the center of the bridge’s command center. He still eyed the main screen, waiting for another torpedo volley. None had appeared…yet.
“He registers as nothing but debris.” Lieutenant Sulu reported. “We got him.”

Command had told them to expect a surprise attack. Kirk was relatively sure this very nearly qualified. He turned to his officers and went through the business of returning his ship to normal operations and dealing with the damage incurred. He wondered what kind of a Captain he’d just killed…

END

The idea for this scene occured to me after watching the remastered DVD for the first time. The whole idea of a D-7 being wiped out with about 8 proxy phaser blasts at long range...kinda made me wretch. The original presentation left some room for doubt, since they didn't show you a ship at all. Adding in the CGI D-7 just made Klingon ships seem really wimpy. Hope y'all liked!

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
Re: A tiny taste...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:42:45 pm »
That was really cool, Guv! I worried about the Eeeeevil Klingon Dath'mar slaughtering a defenceless Federation starship -- as Klingons are wont to do -- but was pleasantly surprised to find the tables turned. I was rooting for the Connie!  ;D

Jaeih had told me of her intent to do something similar but it looks like you beat her to it. I think she was going to do a short story from the Rom point of in the Ep 'The Deadly Years', where the Enterprise is attacked by "a maximum of ten" Warbirds. She wanted to explain why ten Warbirds -- some armed with red plasma torps -- failed to destroy the 1701 when one was more than enough a year earlier. 

Good story, and nice tie in to TOS. :thumbsup:
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:07:21 pm »
Only way that scene makes sense if you follow the new effects and have the ship be a D-7, too. :D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Hstaphath_XC

• The Official Bard of XenoCorp
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Captain, XC Hydran Squadron
    • The XC Bard's Corner
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:55:55 pm »
Exceptional!!!  It is a rare and wondrous gift when one is able to make rational sense of some of the established Star Trek "canon" from the episodes.  Thanks Guv!   8)
Hilaritas sapientiae et bonae vitae proles.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:09:16 pm »
*bows*

Thank you three!

The scene kinda wrote itself. When I watched it [the remastered episode], I was thinking over ways a D-7 could be so totally owned in a 20 second fight scene. But the details kinda present themselves when ya think about the fact that the contact made it to within weapon's range without being detected by a ship with sensors 'that can detect a match lit anywhere on a planet.' I don't present sensors as infalible in my TrekFic, but a fully powered D-7 should be hard to miss without mitigating circumstance.

Then there can the obligatory use of Dath'mar, who in this time period, is my achetypical [but smart] Klingon badguy. And such an attack as sneaking in on a Conny is his cup of Warnog.

Now...if only I can explain why the scout ship in 'Friday's child' and 'Private Little War' were D-7s... And why the D-7 in 'Elan of Troyus' employed such a crappy attack...[Possible explanation: Captain 'Surrender Immediate!' was an idiot!]

Anywho, more coming soon, from a different pot.

--thu guv!!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:28:20 am »
It was cool guv, this illustrates the whole who would win the war debate pointlessness. Cause although hard facts can give great advantages, the soft skills are almost equally as important. (if not even more so).
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 01:02:22 pm »
In any fleet, it is nearly inevitable that there will be some people who rise to command via patronage, rather than ability. I suspect the Klingon CO in Elaan of Troyius was such a petaQ. As for the scout in Friday's Child, they only had one Klingon ship model to work with. Perhaps the future historians of the time assumed erroneously that there would be little variation in Klingon ship design.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 08:28:28 pm »
You do realize I was speaking of the remastered DVD set...wherein they could have used any design, even a homemade one, for the Klingon 'scoutship'?

Hell, they went out of their way to create an entirely un-Gorn-looking ship for Arena. Figured they could'a done something better than just whip our the D-7 for every Klingon vessel...

But I do gripeth about nothing. I'm just happy for the novelty of re-dressed TOS. I have both collections now, old and new. Happy Rog.

--guv

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 01:56:28 am »
Easier to work from an existing model than to make new CGI. Still, they could have worked from stocks like some of the stuff they showed in Enterprise, or even the movies or TNG. It's an odd discrepancy.
CaptJosh

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 09:29:38 pm »
Thing is, though, what you see IS new CGI. The model of Enterprise isn't the one from ENT. The D-7 was remade as well. It started as a small CBS/Okuda project they didn't intend for DVD originally. Everything is based on the models they originally had so far was detail and proportion [IMO, they didn't get Enterprise quite right, but, its only my opinion...].  I love that they made the effort...but...why stop with a half-ass outcome?

Oh, well. I'll get my updated Enterprise with the launch of the new movie come next year.

--rog

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 06:33:54 pm »
That would be because Rick Berman and Brannon Braga f*cked it up so badly that even after Manny Cotto took over creative control, the show was still canceled because the ratings did not recover because people had been too turned off.
CaptJosh

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 04:04:42 pm »
It would have been great if they'd made the CGI scout for 'TOS: Friday's Child' a Starfleet Battles F-5S scout frigate. I'm currently acquiring the Remastered season 2 eps with the ships in them: Mirror Mirror; Ultimate Computer; Omega Glory; Doomsday Machine amongst them.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 10:24:17 pm »
But the SFB designs suck. ;)

They could've...and should've...used the Raptor model from Enterprise as the scout.  It's pretty and deserves re-use, and was about the right size for a 'scout ship'.

That said, I had no problems with the Klingon ship not being visible.  A ship attacking from outside of visual range?  Perish the thought...
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight