Topic: Help adding new models  (Read 4316 times)

Offline ReyvinVinnex

• The Reluctant Nerd
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • I am a stranger to myself
Help adding new models
« on: August 11, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »
I've got all the handbooks, readmes, and so-on on this topic and I can't understand why it's not working!!!

I get a MODel, complete with defaultcore and defaultloadout specs. I copy and I paste, but the ship won't show up! The problem seems to be in the defaultloadout file; I tried to sneak an R-Cloak onto the standard-issue Defiant Class and it completely dissapeared from the in-game list! The Defiant was gone! I replaced the modified file with a copied backup and it came back! It seems that if I add anything that wasn't there before the ship is made unavailable in the game! I can change the existing items; for example on the Archer/C2BB I changed it's type-V impulse engines and thrusters to type-X and it loaded fine! I changed the Scimitar's Rtype-IV disruptors to Ktype-VF disruptors and it worked! But I could not give the stock Defiant a Romulan cloaking device, or add a new ship, say a Borg Tactical cube!

If anyone has encountered and solved this problem, please help me!
There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish, sometimes
-the 4th Doctor, Doctor Who, "Robot"

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Help adding new models
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:56:25 pm »

In the ini file, change the mix race tech from "0" to "1".

The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline ReyvinVinnex

• The Reluctant Nerd
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 05:33:23 pm »
Oh, yeah. That makes sense for the Defiant, but what about new ships?

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:35:12 pm »

Copy and paste the DefaultCore and LoadOut files here.

There is also an Invalid Ship File in the main folder.  Open it to see why the ship hasn't loaded.  It could be as simple as overladed weapon or shield space.

The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:55:05 am »
Are you using a mod by any chance?  Also, what patch are you using?  Older ships for SFC3 with their own specs need an additional value in the Defaultcore spec in order to be viable in the 531 and 534b patches.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline ReyvinVinnex

• The Reluctant Nerd
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:36:24 am »
I believe at that point, when I was having problems adding a new ship - specifically the Valdore - , I was using version 534_C, but I'm not certian. I've re-modded it severall times since then, and I have MiniDW right now. I want to mod it to my own specs before I dive into it, and I'd like to balance out the ships; in that version the Federation have way more classes than any other race, and I'd like to balance it out a little, with the Borg Tactical Cube, various WickedZombie45 Klingon ships, Armada's Shrike (re-named, of course), LC's V'melak, P'dan, and on and on . . . I supose I should just add what I have ready and waiting and see if it works, but I like knowing the solutions to problems before I encounter them; I get stressed out enough as it is!

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 07:53:43 am »
Here are the specs I have in my install of SFC3 that I use to test my various kitbashes and ship ports.

30   DN   2700   0   2900   14050   3500   4600   24000   1200   Fed-Mars   Mars   PrimaryHP:1:300_60:2:240_360:3:0_120:4:120_240:5:180_360:6:0_180:7:0_360:8:165_195:9:165_195   HeavyHP:10:345_15:11:345_15:12:345_15:13:345_15:14:165_195:15:165_195:16:165_195:17:165_195   HullHP:1:2:3   BridgeHP:1   ship   Mines:18:18:18   Marines:40:40:40   Shuttles:6:6:6

As you can see, there are 8 numerical values in the first line between DN and Fed-Mars.  In the stock install and even the 500 patch for SFC3, that last value doesn't exist.  That value is for ShipSize I believe.  That value only exists for the 531 and 534B patches, as well as the unofficial 534C patch.

Older ships for SFC3 with included specs probably don't have this last value in their specs, so you have to add it yourself in order to get the ship to work.

But, since you also mentioned that you're using a mod, the included specs for some ships may not be 100% compatible with that mod because some of those ships' specs may not have enough systems space allocated in their defaultcore values to allow them to properly work.

For example, a ship may have just enough space allocated for type 7 shields and those shields are default for the ship, but the ship was made for a stock install of the game.  In a modded game, the mass of that type of shield was increased, which means your ship no longer has enough space available for shields to accomodate level 7 shields.  The same goes for weapons, hull items, even your engines.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline ReyvinVinnex

• The Reluctant Nerd
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:15:39 am »
That should prove very helpfull, thank you very much, Centurus.