Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 277130 times)

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
Re: Busy Busy FoaS (Back onto the Klingons)
« Reply #1200 on: March 21, 2010, 06:22:55 pm »
Hey guess what: the Riskadh-class is up for download, now, too.

Get it here: Link

Another nicely done model sir. Thank you.

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1201 on: March 21, 2010, 08:29:35 pm »
anytime, KF - especially for you
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1202 on: March 22, 2010, 01:38:26 am »
In other news, I have switched over to LinuxMint - going to take a couple of days to get used to it, but I'm so tired of windows.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1203 on: March 22, 2010, 11:19:28 am »
Let me know how that one goes
Tired of Windows and Apples they both piss me off
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1204 on: March 22, 2010, 02:57:35 pm »
It's not bad. I actually like it a lot. Today I am going to attempt to put up virtual box so I can use Photoshop and 3ds Max
Robinomicon

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #1205 on: March 23, 2010, 05:02:59 am »
It's not bad. I actually like it a lot. Today I am going to attempt to put up virtual box so I can use Photoshop and 3ds Max

and emulating the windows you are so tired of  :huh:

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1206 on: March 23, 2010, 06:12:58 am »
Yup!

It actually runs faster, lol
Robinomicon

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1207 on: March 28, 2010, 08:51:09 am »
How is the rest of the Klingon fleet coming along? No news for a few days. I was hoping for some news on the Klingon bases...

I hope your PC/operating system transition went well FoaS.

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1208 on: April 02, 2010, 11:23:51 am »
Okay, I've been good. It's been four days since I've posted here. Any news on the rest of the Klingon fleet?

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1209 on: April 02, 2010, 03:51:58 pm »
I had to wipe and redo the linux. Virtual machine didnt like max, so i had to dualboot. all my data is safe, though. ill get back on it soon.
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1210 on: April 06, 2010, 06:55:38 am »
FoAS, this may come as a stupid question but what method of unwrapping do you use for 3DS max? Do you just use the built-in methods or a plugin?

getting back into learning how to model and after I used some of the standard unwrappers in the program they seem... limited... at least compared to Maya. It seems a bit cumbersome to export the model and re-import it into the program just for the unwrap feature... unless that's what you do? Just asking :)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1211 on: April 08, 2010, 09:38:53 am »
I grab a bunch of polies that are more or less aligned, but necessarily in the same area (for example, I try to grab all the top-facing polies) and do a planar projection, and then relax. All the methods I use are in the stock version of max, no plugins there. Then I'll grab everything thats left/right facing and do a planar project and I'll make sure that the two sections are scaled to each other properly. Rinse and repeat.

BTW: WZ is probably going to kill me for doing such a lazy kitbash, but here goes
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1212 on: April 08, 2010, 06:44:01 pm »
The Saladin is now released. Get her here
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1213 on: April 08, 2010, 10:52:49 pm »
Just took a look at it. Is this the first time you've tried to fit a capital ship texture sheet all on one sheet? Or was the Saladin a special example since it's small in the scheme of things?

Wondering about texture limits and so on in 3DS Max now. I'd like to use multiple models with multiple textures, but is there an upper limit to the textures available in the library? And on that note, could you enlighten this up-and-coming modler on how you do textures? :)

And when I talked about Maya v Max in unwrapping, Maya has a nice cylindrical unwrap that I had a difficult time finding an analog for. Would a Diamond unwrap work just as well?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1214 on: April 08, 2010, 11:17:08 pm »
The single-texture is how im doing things from now on. Everything released before this will recieve a refit. Everything made after now will be done as such (actually the v2 of the ktinga was the first to have a single-sheet texture).

I'm not sure how maya works, to be honest. I'll see about making a quick image tutorial, but its not going to be today, tomorrow or Saturday (tech week this week).
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1215 on: April 08, 2010, 11:43:59 pm »
One of the team leaders I work with on a mod is an avid Maya supporter, and when I did those low-poly trek models a while back he advised me to port them into Maya and UVW unwrap there. Among the options was a cylindrical unwrap, which I used to do the secondary hull of the Ent class. A model I'm working on now has cylindrical parts, and I was wondering how to deal with that in Max. There are Plugins for it, but I'd ask only for better options for unwrapping (such as the aforementioned cylinder) if Max can't pull an equivalent.

One thing to point out about the single-texture deal is that Sins of a Solar Empire's models are supposed to be done on all one texture sheet. I imagine it would be easier to port your models over to that game with this arrangement, if you ever felt about venturing into modding that way.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1216 on: April 09, 2010, 08:22:41 am »
Projection mapping is a nice and simple way, but it doesn't necessarily produce the best results. Sometimes you just need to go in and tweak the verts. the UVUnwrap modifiers it the best way to do things in max.

Actually these ships have about 3 or 4 textures, but the majority of the hull is across 1 texture. Things like phaser bulbs, and what not, are put on a seperate texture.

BTW: We all could use some more TOS Roms

Tus's Gladius Textured in WickedZombie style and bashed a little bit.
Robinomicon

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
Re: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)
« Reply #1217 on: April 09, 2010, 11:05:54 am »
That would be Atolm's Gladius that tus tweaked and textured ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1218 on: April 09, 2010, 01:49:44 pm »
I stand corrected.
Robinomicon

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #1219 on: April 09, 2010, 04:00:34 pm »
That is a sweet little Rom, guys.  :)