Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 276159 times)

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
Re: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)
« Reply #1560 on: May 23, 2011, 08:30:49 pm »
The D'Derix (and any imitators...) is certainly interesting, but I miss the classic Warbird from Balance of Terror too much.

As I said back then, I think the constellation design suffered too much from over-greblification... perhaps in an attempt to make it seem so much like an old, outdated klunker. I think it's rather denigrating to TMP design as a whole to be presented that way, so I very much appreciate your redesign FoAS. Cleans it up and presents it as a contemporary of the TMP ships. Plus it also gets rid of the kitbashed Enterprise pylon struts pasted on the back part of the primary hull... which I find incredibly annoying for some reason lately :\

So, how about the Soyuz?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1561 on: May 23, 2011, 08:41:23 pm »
I have the Soyuz on my drive, but I never finished the retexture - here's my current priority list.

Excelsior 2
Excelsior NX
Lantree
Saratoga
Soyuz
(are there any Canon TMP-style ships I'm missing?)
Sivista
KF's Sivista variant
L'Rexa
KF's L'Rexa variant
Kzinti-Rereleases
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1562 on: May 23, 2011, 09:06:49 pm »
Saratoga? Isn't that just a retexture of the Reliant from...

oh.

...Bump the Soyuz up :D

Canon ships from TMP... The Merchantmen? The Titan prototype? The Dock shuttles? Travel Pods? The Galileo Shuttlecraft? How about Spacedock and Regula 1?

:)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1563 on: May 23, 2011, 09:22:25 pm »
Aye, the saratoga is a miranda without the rollbar, but with deflector dishes on either side of the main body.

Galileo shuttle is one I missed. I haven't got the merchantman, or the other shuttlecraft, or the stations for that matter. If i can find some decent models I may consider doing them. The titan prototype is kinda Eh to me - I'm not a fan of Ralph McQuarry's Trek style.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1564 on: May 23, 2011, 09:28:05 pm »
Also: I put the tutorials back up on the site :)
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1565 on: May 23, 2011, 09:55:59 pm »
Yes, but it's Canon! It's right there in space dock! :D

Fwiw, the ship was recreated as the Arial Shuttle carrier in fandom, which I think would make an interesting replacement (or counterpart) to the Midway carrier seen in stock. You could probably call the object in spacedock the Arial prototype constructed with TOS/PH-II equipment, which was then updated to Arial standards to be ready for a possible war with the Klingons.

I also wish there were some decent space station models out there but nobody ever seems to want to do them. Someone was working on a spacedock model that kicked all sorts of ass, but of course it remains unfinished and in no way ready for being put into a game (or anything for that matter).

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1566 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:39 pm »
And you know how I am about Canon :P

The ariel has the same problem that I have with the prototype: Something about the delta-hull-and-saucer combination bugs me.
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1567 on: May 24, 2011, 09:08:17 am »
Hey FoAS, if someone were to model the Kelvin run of ships, would you consider doing your texture treatment on them?

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1568 on: May 24, 2011, 11:04:01 am »

The ariel has the same problem that I have with the prototype: Something about the delta-hull-and-saucer combination bugs me.

She would need to be a small ship Like a National Gaurd ship maybe

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1569 on: May 24, 2011, 01:14:22 pm »
I've already got them modelled :)
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1570 on: May 24, 2011, 02:18:46 pm »
I forgot you had modeled a constitution out of Kelvin parts until I was on the road to work right after posting :P

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1571 on: May 24, 2011, 03:00:42 pm »
No worries :).
First things first, I want to get more of the models that are already done out and in the sky for you people. Then we'll see what is next.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1572 on: May 24, 2011, 03:02:04 pm »

She would need to be a small ship Like a National Gaurd ship maybe

I suppose. The ENT warp delta doesn't bug me, though - I actually really like that design, its just the replacing the cylindrical secondary hull with a spearhead doesn't work for me.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1573 on: May 24, 2011, 04:14:25 pm »
I had to do it. On a whim I started replacing some connie-style nacelles with ulysses-style nacelles on larger ships
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:39:24 pm by FoaS_XC »
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #1574 on: May 24, 2011, 04:34:52 pm »
I had to do it. On a whim I started replacing some connie-style nacelles with ulysses-style nacelles on larger ships

Hmmm...I think I like it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1575 on: May 24, 2011, 04:39:35 pm »
My bad - mistyped the URL.
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1576 on: May 24, 2011, 08:48:37 pm »
Now and again I wonder if the density of the nacelles is enough to keep them from snapping off the rest of the ship. Enterprise's looked balanced. Not sure excelsior nacelles on the same ship would look good. Yours are about half way, and the nacelles taper near the ends?

What would she look like with Excelsior eblow joints? Sure it might change the character.

Tho if you're popping nacelles on to different ships, how about these puppies or similar on the FCA? Didn't think much of the nacelles you put on them way back when... if a ship is supposed to be twice as fast as her base class, I'd think the nacelles to support a warp field that powerful would look radically different. *shrug*

...and what about Kelvin nacelles on the TOS enterprise? Think of it as a low-cost alternative :P

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1577 on: May 24, 2011, 10:56:16 pm »
They do seem a little too thick, don't they... Hmm.

I'll give it a shot with the excelsior joints, too.

For the Fast-CA I put churchill nacelles on the connie and it seemed to work well, so :).
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1578 on: May 24, 2011, 11:26:54 pm »
Yeah, the Churchill ones were the ones I didn't like. They look like standard nacelles with just minor fender tweaks... not major hot rod engines destined for bigger classes but mis-used (and abused) by smaller ships with overcharged power sources. I'd almost say the Churchill engines are the same ones on the connies, but with one thing changed to throw off marketing.

The ones you have above, however, look like they could fit because they tie to the Excelsior models. Whatever warp fields go into making the Excelsiors fly FTL is partially in these models. Whatever can make a Dreadnought go at warp speed must make a smaller cruiser go even faster.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1579 on: May 24, 2011, 11:29:55 pm »
Yeah, the Churchill ones were the ones I didn't like. They look like standard nacelles with just minor fender tweaks... not major hot rod engines destined for bigger classes but mis-used (and abused) by smaller ships with overcharged power sources. I'd almost say the Churchill engines are the same ones on the connies, but with one thing changed to throw off marketing.
I'm okay with that - I see them as a 15%-ish improvement-like thing.

as far as the strength to mass and speed correlation? I hadn't thought that hard about it >.<
Robinomicon