Topic: SFC 3 : Any way to enter new CD-key without reinstalling?  (Read 7257 times)

Offline TNG

• Lt. Junior Grade
SFC 3 : Any way to enter new CD-key without reinstalling?
« on: August 26, 2008, 02:56:21 pm »
Anyone know if you can just edit a file somewhere instead of reinstalling and doing all the patching?

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
Re: SFC 3 : Any way to enter new CD-key without reinstalling?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:04:19 pm »
No.. the CD key, when entered, is encrypted and stored in the system registry. As such, only a reinstall will allow you to use a different CD key.

"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:19:22 pm »
There is another option. If you take all you modeed copoies of SFC3 and rename there directories they won't be over writen in the reinstall. THen you just replace the old .EXE file with the new one and you should be off

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:32:41 pm »
Holy necro-thread, batman. ;)
Coolboard, no need to bring back a topic from 3 years ago, man. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Coolboard

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »
sorry i looked at for a solution and i forgot to read the date...  :buck2:

-Friendly-...

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 11:47:31 am »
Please do not post hacks or methods to substitute CDkeys for the Starfleet Command Series of games.

If you have an issue with a CD key, please contact an admin / moderator via PM. Such methods could be used to circumnavigate the copyright management aspects of the game.

Starfleet Command 3 is dead. Paramount and Activision ensured this, because of the lawsuit that happened many years ago. We do not own, nor support CD key issues with Starfleet Command 3.

You may be able to find copies on Ebay, but I will warn you they will be likely expensive.

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.