Topic: Dangerous Crossing.  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
Dangerous Crossing.
« on: September 24, 2008, 04:11:51 am »
So, I had a rather long vacation period in which I managed to watch the entire series of B5, the movies, and Crusade. Somewhere in this time I managed to take some preventative cold medicine (wife was sick), which in turn gave me a funny dream... which became an outline... a rough draft... and finally:

Dangerous Crossing

Epsilon Three spun slowly. The large yellowish orb orbited its star, Epsilon Eridani, the same as it had for millennia. There were even the same electrical readings coming from the planet.

Babylon 5, however, was not.

Neither was the local jump gate. Nor the plethora of Interstellar Alliance vessels that normally stood watch over the five mile long station.

Nothing was as it should be.

Everything was gone.

Except one Omega destroyer.

“Still nothing else on sensors,” called the voice of Commander Ellsworth, Agamemnon’s executive officer.

“Jump engines?” Colonel James asked. He’d managed to retain his command of the vessel for twelve years, and had served on board for an additional three; and yet in all this time, he’d never encountered anything like this.

“Recharging,” his XO replied. “Doubtful we could jump anywhere, though.”

Various bridge personnel scrambled about the duo, James in the big chair, Ellsworth to his right. “Let me guess…” James started.

“We lost the hyperspace beacon as soon as we jumped to normal space,” Ellsworth finished for him.

James pondered for a minute, weighing the options. “But we do have readings from Epsilon Three?” The means to contact Draal and the Great Machine had been a secret Sheridan had told him of long ago, a just-in-case fallback during the Earth civil war. It seemed almost a lifetime past.

“Affirmative, sir.” Ellsworth pressed left hand to associated ear, pressing his earpiece slightly deeper into his ear canal. It was the simplest way to increase the volume of the device for short durations, while maintaining a comfortable listening level afterward. His face twisted slightly as he spoke, “we’re being hailed.”

“Well that’s promising. Where’s it from?”

“Just outside the system, scanners haven’t locked onto any particular vessel or station. Recommend we launch fighters, sir. The signal is coming through on an unused Earth frequency; very suspicious.”

James nodded is acknowledgment of the situation. “Put the call through, audio only. Once we figure out more of what is going on, then we can decide if that is the correct course of action.”

“Aye, sir. Message relayed to speakers.” He relaxed his pressing on the earpiece, allowing his hand to fall to his side.

The voice that came through was instantly recognized by all, causing several of the bridge crew to stop in their tracks and look directly at their commanding officer. “This is Commodore James of the United Starship Agamemnon to unidentified vessel. Identify yourself and your purpose.

Colonel James felt the eyes of his crew upon him. It was now his play, but he wasn’t sure how to proceed. How do I handle myself? he thought. “Anything yet on scanners?” he asked.

Ellsworth paused a moment, listening for the sensor operator’s reply through the ever-trusty earpiece. “Nothing new,” he replied softly.

“Very well. Open a channel.”

“You’re on, sir.”

“This is Colonel James of the Earth Alliance Destroyer Agamemnon. We seem to be a bit lost. Any assistance that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.”

Static buzzed softly over the open comm. channel as they waited for the response. Surely the commodore would find listening to his own voice just as discomforting as the colonel had. “Sir!” Ellsworth exclaimed. “Multiple vessels inbound, moving… fast! Silhouettes unknown.” They both turned and looked quickly over one of the Tac-Sit displays.

“Colonel, we’ll be happy to assist anyway we can. We’re en route and will  be there momentarily.

“Understood, Commodore. Can we assume that your ships are those coming in from our port quarter?”

“Affirmative,” came Commodore James’s reply. Dryly he continued, “We’re just now picking up new contacts… I’d recommend you get ready to defend yourselves if you can. Hang tight, we should be there before the Klingons reach you.

“Confirmed, Commodore. Commander, launch all fighters, activate defense grid and charge all weapons.” Colonel James paused and listened over the still open line. Although slightly muted, he could have sworn he'd heard the commodore say something about Vulcan... But what does an ancient Roman god have to do with this?

Czar "Yes, I realize I promised other stories," Mohab, who is as surprised as you are.

P.S. I did do alot of research for this to get the details worked out, I'm now 100% sure where Epsilon Eridani would be in relation to Federation/Klingon space, so I'm claiming author's prerogative on this and asking that you just follow along.

P.P.S. Partial hint at the date in the story, however, I'll give you all some captain's logs later if you're not up on B5 history.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:50:34 am by Czar Mohab »
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
Re: Dangerous Crossing.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 06:57:57 pm »
Interesting start, and a curious coincidence! I've only just started re-watching Babylon 5 myself. I watched 'The Gathering' just a few days ago, and I've just in this last half hour transferred the MuTorrented Season 1 to my external HD so I can watch it on my TV. :)

You may have wanted to have the B5 ship commander puzzled by what Klingons are, as well as your rather foreboding line about Vulcan. ;)

And yes, even though Laurel Takeshima (sp?) is very beautiful, I do prefer the character of Susan Ivanova in her place. :)
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 04:14:23 am »
You can tell in The Gathering that Lieutenant Commander Laurel Takashima had many Ivonavaisms... just those little quirks that ring out Susan Ivonova... Some things that only Claudia could nail. Series is, IMHO, best watched with as few breaks, and as minimal time durring those breaks, as possible. So many little things that cary over from previous episodes.

Speaking of "Claudia" and "nail": P-boy spread: F'ing HOT. But that's just MHO.

Also, you might want to listen for the biggest, hugest, first-episode-gives-away-the-Sinclair/Valen-story-arc spoiler... didn't notice it until this last run through TG, but very surprised it was there (I watched the pilot after finishing season 5, so when Kosh drops the bomb, it made more sense).

One more on TG: I'm glad that they ditched the "phasers" in the series. Actually took B5 up a peg or two using the PPG's instead.

On a side note... Somehow my Lappy's OS (Vista) encountered an error on a reboot and the fancy Startup Repair Tool didn't fix sh*t... add to that the fact that now (after a modest tumble) the darn thing isn't even getting that far, let alone into the BIOS... This story might be delayed a bit. All depends on *if* I was smart enough to get the extended protection plan, *if* the damage is covered under said plan, and whether it is or isn't, *if* I can recover ~100GB of data from the possibly fried HDD. The weenie here is that of all the computers I have access to on a daily basis, this one was the only SATA drive or SATA compatible system; so I can't even test the drive itself without outside assistance.

On the plus side, ~ all the games, enhancements, etc. were/are also available on my desktop... but that machine was running sketchy, at best, last I ran it. Over a year ago. Replies to posts will have to be from the (very no-no) work compy unless I can get the old rig up 'n' runnin'. And if I can find a long enough ethernet cable. That PC wasn't ever modded for wireless. There's also a partial backup of files on my Ext. drive... but alas, I don't think much of anything story-wise is there.

Czar “Only a miracle can save us now!” Mohab

P.S. Miracle!
P.P.S. Miracle!
P.P.P.S Miracle!
 :D :D
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Potemkyn

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 07:41:16 pm »
If you can remove the hard drive from the laptop, you can get an external hard drive inclosure that supports your SATA drive and will hook up to the computer using USB.

Hope you can recover.

Mike

Offline Hstaphath_XC

• The Official Bard of XenoCorp
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Captain, XC Hydran Squadron
    • The XC Bard's Corner
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 05:17:57 pm »
Well, I like it.   8)

Best wishes for a speedy computer crash recovery, hang in there Czar!
Hilaritas sapientiae et bonae vitae proles.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 09:05:50 pm »
I have no doubt you'll do the cross-over idea justice, and I'll likely enjoy the read, but cut me some slack if it takes a bit to respond as I have to force myself into anything involving B5.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 06:12:10 pm »
*holds Larry's barf bag open for him*

...no, really, B5 is ok. I like some of it, but never saw enough of it to make much sense of it. Looking forward to this crossover.

I love crossovers.

--thu guv
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.