Topic: The definitive review of Ubuntu Linux 8.04 “Hardy Heron”  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
The definitive review of Ubuntu Linux 8.04 “Hardy Heron”
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:25:47 am »
Link to full "Review"

In summary, Ubuntu Linux is still not yet ready for the Desktop. Our recommendation is to take a rain check on this release: Commercial and educated power-users will no doubt avoid this system because of it’s dangerous ideological bias, lack of quality software and out-dated technology.

We do feel that the new release of Ubuntu Linux will have moderate success playing to it’s core-audience: It will provide an entertaining diversion for hackers in-between prison sentences.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: The definitive review of Ubuntu Linux 8.04 “Hardy Heron”
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:26:38 pm »
Don't forget to read the comments at the bottom.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:21:40 pm »
Don't forget to read the comments at the bottom.

Definitely the comments on the site are half the fun.  Some don't "get it" others I think may be the author continuing the message.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 03:08:57 pm »
Is it just me, or is the entire thing just hilarious?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 03:14:36 pm »
The best part are the comments where people don't recognize the whole site is a joke.  I think some of the supporting ones are the author trying to make it look like there are people who not only believe the site to be real but who support its claims.

(I flipped a coin to decide whether to try and convince you it was real or not - you won  :angel:).

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 07:16:40 pm »
LOL, That's one for me, most of the time, I always get caught on these. Or if someone post a story from the onion without linking it.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:55:47 pm »
I posted about one of my Linux problems in the   PC Troubleshooting... thread. You may find it of interest.  ;)

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 06:10:09 pm »
The reviewer is an obvious idiot for the fact that "it's" means "it is" while "its" means its.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD