Topic: Using a desktop computer as a TV  (Read 1903 times)

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
Using a desktop computer as a TV
« on: October 07, 2008, 07:23:34 pm »
OK. Need some advice here.

I want to use the same widescreen LCD monitor I'm using for my desktop PC running XP as a TV.

And I still want to be able to use my high end graphics card for games and work on it. Just want it to do double duty as a TV.

Suggestions?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
Re: Using a desktop computer as a TV
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 07:24:56 pm »
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 08:49:48 pm »
Yes that will work. For most Analog, and some digital.

Here's what I did , Kinda assbackwards though.

I used a DVI -D and ran it from my sattelite reciever, directly to the input on the monitor.

So kinda like this...

Sat. Reciever ----> HDTV to DVI converter -----> PC monitor.

It can also get really expensive as you go for more clarity, and depending on your Monitor.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:19:37 pm »
Thanks Stephen. I've got standard cable. So all that will work?

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 01:22:48 am »
It should, only time you run into trouble is going from analog to digital and vice versa. But you should be fine. Might be a few glitches getting the timing on the signal right, but nothing impossible. Let me know how it works.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 09:12:11 am »
Noticed in the specs/requirements: Sound card for TV audio
Do you have a separate card for sound? Although I wonder if its really necessary, shouldn't a mother-board with Audio built in suffice?

Also comes with Ulead DVD Movie Factory. Got that with my LeadTek WinFast PVR card several years ago. Good program.

Interested to know if this works out for you. Looking to replace my Winfast card with something that can handle HD signals and gets the interface cable away from the back of the computer.
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 12:03:55 pm »
Well, I'm going to give it a try I think.

This is for my studio. It will be nice to not have to buy a separate TV.

I'll let you know how this works out.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 01:37:03 pm »
OK.. I happen to be doing this currently as my TV burnt up last week..

I have 2 monitors and a high end graphics card.

Now the PC will need a TV Tuner card, I happen to be using a Hauppage 1800 HVR in a PCI x1 slot on the main board.

I do recommend XP Media Center 2005 for best performance, however the TV Tuner does come with WinTV 6 and WinTV 2000 applications (the difference is display resolution support)

Now the TV signal I have is Cable coming in through the Cable Converter box.. setting your TV Tuner to channel 3 Analog signal and your TV will display just fine.. if you have Basic or Expanded basic cable, then you can connect the TV Tuner directly to the cable.. the Tuner is capable of recieving up to 150 channels Analog.. with a converter box, then all you need is 1 channel on the turner (Channel 3) and you can control the channels vis the converter remote.

Most TV Tuners come with their own remote which will control the TV Tuner.. but it is mostly designed to operate Windows Media Center.. the remote also interfaces with the Cable Converter box so all you would need is the Tuner remote to switch channels.

Now, my Graphics card is a NVidia Geforce 8800 GTX OC2 with 768 MB gDDR3 memory.. however most vid cards with 256 memory can run the TV tuner.. if you want to game and play TV at the same time, then I would highly recommend a Vid card using 512 MB vid memory (not shared)

The graphics card will either need to have 2 Vid out ports or an interface (like Radeon has) to allow for multiple monitor connect. Most current NVidia's come with 2 dual DVI connects.. Dual DVI is for High Definition play back from the tuner.. if you run a standard VGA cable.. you probably will either need to purchase DVI cables if your monitors support Digital or even High Definition interface, or you will need DVI to VGA adapters to run an analog signal.

Now after hooking up both monitors to the Vid card, your system will have to locate the new device.. I highly recommend installing the Monitor drivers (if drivers are availble for the montior) and then go into your Graphics card properties.

You will then need to go to Configure Monirots section of the Graphics card utility ..

You should have 3 choices.. 1) Single Display Mode.. this is for your primary monitor... 2) Clone mode.. your display is duplicated on both Monitors.. then Dual Monitor Independant Mode, which allows the second monitor to display programs separately from the main monitor.

the Option 3 is what you want for running TV and playing games simultaneously... Your background from your main monitor will be duplicated on both monitors, however you can launch the TV program and drag it to the second monitor, make full screen, then Alt-Tab to change focus, move your mouse pointer back to the main monitor, and then you can launch your game..

The main problem you will have is Sound.. the game and TV tuner use separate processes .. however they share the same speakers..

If you have Surround Sound ports on your PC and 5.1 Surround speakers, then you can actually use 2 of your speakers on the Black port and use your HD Audio Configuration software and remap the Black plug to play just the TV audio, and the Green and Orange connections to speakers for your game sound, thus keeping them separate.

Like I stated.. Windows Media Center is the best way to go to use your TV Tuner.. believe it or not, MCE uses less resources and memory from your computer system to watch TV, not to mention give you a much clearer picture and smooth play back AND it has built in TIVO capabilities built in plus MCE also converts TV to standard DVD playback for normal DVD players.

regular TV Tuners work as TIVO as well, however they record only for PC playback.. no DVD encoding included.

Currently I have a HD WS Flatscreen monitor and an analog monitor using a Dual DVI adapter..

My wife has her TV, and I have my PC for games.. Kind of wierd currently since I am use to surround at my PC and I am now using L, R, Center and Sub for games and my wife has the RL and RR speakers running for the TV Tuner.. I miss my surround.. but it works for us currently..

Hope that this information helps.. if you have any questions.. please post back and I will detail the info more if you need it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:09:46 pm by Capt_Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:54:48 pm »
the 1950 HVR is a good Tuner card as well.. It wasn't out when I bought my HVR 1800

The tuners have 3 antenna connectors in back..

1 connector is for Radio antenna (the cards have FM tuners built in as well), 1 is for Digital/Analogue TV signal, and the last connector is for the HD Arial Antenna connection for stations broadcasting open air HD signals.

The cards work great.. but make sure you are running at least 2 GB system memory.. if you intend to game and watch TV simultaneously, then I highly recommend upgrading your system (if capable) to 4 GB system memory at the highest speed and lowest latency that your main board can handle... Also remember that you need to have plenty of HDD space and preferably running at least 3 GB/s transfer rate (SATA drive).. because the TV Tuner will record the show you are watching from the point you change channel / turn on the application.. the show's data usually erases itself every 2 hours to save HDD space.. the programs are recorded as either AVI, MPG format.. not really taking up too much space.. but a 2 hour program susally takes 750 MB HDD space.. just to let you know. The reason I state so much memory is because the game is going to be accessing the HDD for swap memory as well s loading scenes while simultaneously writing the TV show information to the HDD.. this is reason for the need of a good HDD and lots of RAM.

Also, do not get drivers from Microsoft or even off the installation CD.. Get the drivers from the Hauppage web site and follow the install instructions exactly.. the CD method is flawed.. the Tuner will work, but you will have glitches.. following the Hauppage web site for proper driver installation will give a cleaner signal and beter Tuner performance.. and almost flawless playback if you have Windows Media Center 2k5 (which is XP Pro released 2005 with the MCE package built in) and have your system completely updated to SP 3 and all additional software updates (I recommend using Microsoft Update as opposed to Windows Update and always do a Custom scan to get all current updates).

Hope tht this helps.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:11:14 pm by Capt_Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 06:13:41 pm »
Thanks Pesty! That helps alot!

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 02:56:55 pm »
Just pick up a HDTV/Monitor combo. Just about every HDTV out there from 19" on up will have inputs for both standard VGA and DVI.

My 21" samsung HDTV monitor has inputs for both cable and DVI. Of course, for most of these monitors your limited in resolution to 1380 x 768. For some, this isn't an issue, but for high end gaming many people prefer to run at 1600x1200 and most HD monitors can't display that resolution.

So if high end resolution is more important than tv, I'd go with one of those TV to PC video card solutions...but if you like being able to watch good quality HD signal on your computer monitor -- I'd pick up a HDTV.

Sony and Samsung are the two premere brands for HDTV/monitors.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 02:08:26 pm »
I'm doing the complete reverse of what you're all doing.  I've got a 19in HDTV that I'm using as a monitor for my mac.  It looks a hell of a lot better as a TV than it does as a monitor, but since I use the mac for music and video, running it though the tv makes sense.

The TV is an Element and it has ports for PC VGA in, PC audio in, headphones out, HDMI, coaxial, s-video, analog stereo/video in, and digital video/audio in.  So I could have up to 6 devices into it at once.  Was pretty cheap too at $260 last winter.

I know it doesn't help at all, just thought I'd share the other route for those with limited space or if you had a monitor that just died (as was my case) :)

I'll post a pic of my complete setup if anyone wants to see it.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.