Topic: Embarq, Vista and Dynaverse 2  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Distractor_Beam

• Ensign
Embarq, Vista and Dynaverse 2
« on: March 18, 2009, 07:03:53 am »
I'm on Embarq and I had a lot of trouble getting logged into the Dynaverse with Windows Vista.

Here's what happened.

I installed the game and all the patches just like pestalence said I should.  Then I installed the Stray's Tavern's server updates just like my friend Knightsleeper said I should.  I probably didn't need to, but I did. 

http://tavern.250free.com/

Then when I went to the game and when I clicked on Dyaverse it would give me a loading screen with 4 lines like:

Gamespy patch check complete....
Gamespy patch check....
Welcome to the Dynaverse....
Looking for the Message of the day....

or something to that effect.  I'd wait for 30 seconds to a minute and then it would add 2 more lines:

You may be behind a firewall or you are unable to connect to the internet...
Gamespy could not connect....

Or something like that.

I went through all kinds of troubleshooting from disabling my firewall to my modem, to my router, and to my computer.  I uninstalled and reinstalled.  I disconnected my router.  I mean I really didn't have any firewall.  Still nothing after a Delete and Reinstall like that.

I tried connecting to gamespy arcade instead of the Dynaverse.  My friend had a game going and I tried to join.  After it started up it gave me a message saying something like:

Unable to connect.  You may be behind a firewall.
Reason:  Your internal IP is different from your external IP.

Very valuable information.

I went on the internet and learned about NAT IP's and found out that I have one.  I called Embarq and they sent me to their 2nd tier of technical support.  They sent me through a step by step of how to lower my firewall settings.  It didn't help.  "That's not really my problem" I say, "do you know what a NAT IP is?"  "Yes" he says.  "We have a dynamic IP that refreshes every 60 seconds and the only way to fix it is to call the coorporate offices and they can set up a static IP for a charge."  "Okay I say, goodnight." 

So I go on the internet and find this.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2283354_bridge-embarq-dsl-modem.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

It shows you how to bridge your modem so the IP passes through the way it should.  It disables all the firewall, and nonsense the modem does and makes it act as a bridge.  After I did this I was able to actually host Teamspeak, pick up my IP from my own computer the way I should be able to, and most importantly, log onto the Dynaverse.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Embarq, Vista and Dynaverse 2
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 02:44:37 pm »
... and most importantly, log onto the Dynaverse.

Whoah, on Vista? Did you play for any time? Move around the map, look at the shipyards, run missions? If you did not experience any map lag please let us know. Nobody has managed to get OP Dynaverse working properly on Vista yet.

P.S. I removed your duplicate posts, split this from the assistance needed thread to its own topic and replied to this one.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:11:49 pm by Bonk »

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Embarq, Vista and Dynaverse 2
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 05:14:00 pm »
THANK YOU!!!!!! Distractor_Beam!!!!!!

THIS IS JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED.....

I have been fighting with this issue for over a week now.......two fricking clicks and BOOM....it's working... :D :D :D :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: