Topic: Empire: Total War?  (Read 6106 times)

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
Empire: Total War?
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:11:11 am »

Just curious - it sounds up my alley, but anyone tried it out yet?

dave

Offline FPF-Paladin

• 'Thou shalt not CAD.' - DH
  • Lt.
Re: Empire: Total War?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:22:52 pm »
I was looking into this too... same type of game I usually gravitate to.  Right now I'm playing between Company of Heroes and Sins of a Solar Empire...
~Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it. ~

el-Karnak

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:43:17 am »
I have been dabbling, off and on, with  Medieval II:Total War, but not enough time to really give the game justice due to very limited available game-playing time band-width. 

The game has 2 components:
  • Turn-based strategy
  • Real-time tactics

The campaign game is very long but you have the option to play the individual tactical battles in a simulator that is about as good as the "Battle for Middle-Earth 2 series". I would say the major difference in the game between Age of Kings, BOFME2 and this game is that there is no spawning of new units and  morale factors are used to route units.  Basically, a very close simulation of an actual battle.

Empire:Total War appears to be built along these lines except for the addition of naval battle simulation which is not included the past Total War games. The wiki write-up on the game hints that the naval combat simulator is difficult to use though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire:_Total_War

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 05:26:09 pm »
I have been dabbling, off and on, with  Medieval II:Total War, but not enough time to really give the game justice due to very limited available game-playing time band-width. 

The game has 2 components:
  • Turn-based strategy
  • Real-time tactics

The campaign game is very long but you have the option to play the individual tactical battles in a simulator that is about as good as the "Battle for Middle-Earth 2 series". I would say the major difference in the game between Age of Kings, BOFME2 and this game is that there is no spawning of new units and  morale factors are used to route units.  Basically, a very close simulation of an actual battle.

Empire:Total War appears to be built along these lines except for the addition of naval battle simulation which is not included the past Total War games. The wiki write-up on the game hints that the naval combat simulator is difficult to use though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire:_Total_War

I know why you liked it as the common place it has with AoS.1 and 2, Sealords

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 02:50:34 pm »
it sucks, I don't like it at all but I LOVE Medieval 2 total war.   The battles just aren't as cool.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 09:15:22 pm »
Whatever dude.  I'll take my bad-ass howitzers over your puny ballistae any day. ;)
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 12:42:25 am »
I hate the Steam component to launch and update, but otherwise it's fine.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:31:04 pm »
Have the new patches fixed a lot of the problems - I'm a little bumbed because this game is getting horrible reviews by users compared to the others in the series...

(and I was lookin to gettin' it soon)

If it's not fixed tho - I'd rather wait till it is - or mods fix it next year - any advice?

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 09:52:04 pm »
They're already advertising Napoleonic Wars for 2010.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 01:42:39 pm »
Ok i am an avid total war player here, Emprie is good, but the focus is a little to strong on navel combat, very little got added to unit combat, unit combat plays almost excatly like it did in Medieval and Rome, with the exception of garrions in buildings. One of the big reasons people dont like it as much, is simple, watching 2 lines of infantry in formation shoot each other isnt as fun as watching them get entagled and swinging swords at each other. Graphics are nice, but it just doesnt feel as fun as the earlier titles did, this is also what made late game ME2 also less enjoyable was when people started using handcannons and muskets making your sword armed infantry pointless then ya just get to watch them shoot at each other. Though Calvary is still fun, you can still charge through a line, though a frontal attack is likly to route your calvary. If you want to play TotalWar id look at rome or ME2 as Empire isnt its shining moment

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 08:50:54 am »
Combat in Empire is very much about the 3 F's... Fix 'em, flank 'em, finish 'em.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 09:06:30 am »
wihout the getting down and dirty and lobbing there heads off part :(

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 05:36:38 am »
it sucks, I don't like it at all but I LOVE Medieval 2 total war.   The battles just aren't as cool.

Speaking of the Total War series, I'm finally going to be able to shell out some money for a new PC game, and I've been looking at Medieval 2 Gold and Rome Gold. Any reason why one is better than the other, or are they rougly the same when it comes to strategy and gameplay?

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 06:24:07 am »
M2TW has the conquest of the Americas in it.

The thing with Empire too, is that you should employ the tactics of the time.  Muskets were not accurate...they'd exchange a few volleys then it was bayonets.

I like to fix the line with volleys from a line infantry, then charge the flank with a militia unit or cavalry.  More often than not the enemy units charge before I do.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:31:22 am by Dracho »

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 02:32:18 am »
I never have a charge issue lol, I keep my forces boxed and deep, more muskets firing at once, not spread out, and im one of those guys that in the campgin takes awhile to get going because I build my armies 20 strong before I go out to play, but let me assure you when the enemy charges my line they usally route.

As for ME2 v RTW id go for Rome honestly, ME2 has some bugs that they never fixed. Such as 2h weapon users never actully hit, its to do with there speed, and that fact it resests everytime there struck, so a 1h infantry can tear apart 2h heavier infantry. Also horses when they charge, some unexplanabily stop and do not charge, but trot, so you dont get a full charge. They never fixed these issues but rome doesnt have them.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 12:52:46 pm »
This game sucked, I lost interest after a few hours.  M2TW was so much cooler, the era of combat was just more interesting with the variety of weapons and tactics.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Father Ted

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 08:31:00 am »
I made the command decision, I let the clerk pick for me. ;)

He said ME2, so I went with it, and though I have very little clue what I'm doing, I'm managing to make more money than I'm spending. Rome was very tempting though, and if I figure this one out, they're next.

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 12:11:44 pm »
The only irritating thing to me in M2TW (and Rome, for that matter) is that you recruit different units in a city and in a fortress.  The basic line infantry will have the same stats, but you cannot replinish a city unit in a fortress nor a fortress unit in a city.

It seems like an unnecessary distraction and I am not sure what the purpose was, as the units will generally have the same stats & weapons.

I think Empire Total War made the strategic game much better..  I love the ability to have an army "call for reinforcements" when damaged, and in a couple of turns the units are back to strength.   Also, if it has a general present the army can recruit and the units will be created at the nearest possible base and march to the army.  M2TW and RTW would be much better campaign games if that was the case, but they are still fun at the tactical level.

Maybe that's it.. Empire is a better strategic game but the other 2 are more fun tactical games.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 10:25:15 pm »
actully in rome, all units are recruited from your city there is no castle/city disteinction. Its based on your barracks type. Its 1000 years earlier than ME2 and the system was diffrent, cities as a general rule doubled as fortifcations agasint attack

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 06:57:20 pm »
I'm a huge fan of E:TW.  I greatly enjoyed all the other Total War games, save ME2 which I never played, and Empire was honestly the one I was waiting on since I played Shogun.  Sword and lance warfare is interesting to me, but I far prefer gunpowder and cannons...and though their naval fights need some work, I loved that they were finally, you know, there.

Howitzers are my friend, btw.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 04:31:13 pm »
Ha, ever since I made my first gunpowder unit in Shogun TW, I've been waiting for a Horse and Musket game like Empire.

But unfortunately, I stupidly picked it up a week after it came out, and naturally it needed a couple of patches... and I got turned off to the crashing due to it needing patches, and haven't been back.

But I'm not worried, the Total War series has always captured my interested, so it's only a matter of time before I get bored with my current games (WITP:AE and Fallen Earth) before I fire up a campaign or 5.
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline Father Ted

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 06:37:22 pm »
Ha, ever since I made my first gunpowder unit in Shogun TW, I've been waiting for a Horse and Musket game like Empire.

But unfortunately, I stupidly picked it up a week after it came out, and naturally it needed a couple of patches... and I got turned off to the crashing due to it needing patches, and haven't been back.

But I'm not worried, the Total War series has always captured my interested, so it's only a matter of time before I get bored with my current games (WITP:AE and Fallen Earth) before I fire up a campaign or 5.

I'm gonna wait for the Gold edition when all the bugs are fixed and it's down to about $20, because from what I've heard here and on the TW boards, Empire sucks right now. I'll stick to figuring out ME2 since I've owned Europe as England, France, and Scotland. The Russians are proving to be my biggest headache so far(frakkin' Mongols), but I'm only a fraction of the way into the game. And Rome TW is next on my list.

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 01:27:35 pm »
I for one have all of the TW games. I gave one set or Rome: TW to my nephew and he loved it. Out of all of them I like Rome and ME2. Empire still has not gelled on me.

So there's my take on Empire.

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 09:43:48 am »
Ahh - well - from all I read Emprie is not even out of alpha really... despite a few patches...

I think it goes to show that game publishers are putting rediculous pressure to get PC games out too early ruining even formerly lucrative franchises.

Of course - that kind of behavior is rewarded by the insane PC MW2 buyers - but some people you just can't reach...

It really is too bad too - as I was drooling over the thought of Empire and a Napoleon Total War game for years...

Way to kill the franchise Sega!

>:(

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 01:25:08 pm »
Sooo...  Picked it up for a Ten Spot on steam last weekend! - w00t!!

Can anyone who's been playing it here verify that it's playable now with the patches - or should I apply a mod to make it worth playing?

Any Mods that are essential - or just very well done?

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 11:08:48 am »
Well the feedback i got, points to the game being garbage even with patches.
I got them all besdies the last one ,on my HD is always Shogun total war and Rome  with EB (Europa Barbaorum).

That  is HArdocre mod that  allows the generals to give the Pre battle speeches in latin ,old greek etc original names of units ,unit building and troop types based on the real system etc.Made by people who work in the field,or are heavy into it without a title.
For example A German based group specialized in music from that time for the soundtrack.

I really hoped after Rome they would redo SHogun with new graphics,.. the way it is going  doesn't kick me at all.

IT would have made a lot more sense if they had done the "Mother of all wars" the Thirty years war,but no, this little dwarf become the focus.. yack.

I am looking forward to the completion of EB for Med 2.

FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 03:15:24 pm »
I just bought Total War:  Napoleon and it seems far more finished than Empire..