Topic: 'Star Trek' Sequel Will Deal With 'Unpredictable Future  (Read 6613 times)

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
'Star Trek' Sequel Will Deal With 'Unpredictable Future
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:32:11 pm »
May 11 2009 6:52 PM EDT

'Star Trek' Sequel Will Deal With 'Unpredictable Future'J.J. Abrams and company are ready to continue in the 'alternate reality' the reboot created.
By Larry Carroll
Views 22,841 

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1611063/story.jhtml#

When J.J. Abrams and his team first signed on to resurrect "Star Trek," Hollywood insiders questioned whether sci-fi fans still cared about the franchise. After a $76.5 million opening this past weekend the previous franchise record-holder was "First Contact" with a mere $30 million — you can consider "Trek" successfully rebooted. And as you read this, a whole new series of sequels are being planned for this new alternate reality.

"One of the obstacles that we found ourselves butting up against [when we took on the job] was this idea that we already knew the fate of the characters," writer/producer Alex Kurtzman told us of the newly established parallel "Trek" dimension, forever altered by the reckless actions of time-travelling villain Nero (Eric Bana). "If you're going to bring a whole new iteration of 'Trek' to life, you could never put them in any real danger — because you already know how they either died or lived. So, we felt like, all right, we have to find a way to make the future unpredictable, so whenever they're in these difficult, treacherous situations there truly is the risk of death."

Word already leaked more than a month ago that at least one "Trek" sequel is in the works, and the series' gatekeepers confirmed to us that such memorable characters as Khan Noonien Singh and Dr. Tolian Soran are among the many characters whose life courses may have been altered by the events of the new film.

"All the characters who existed in the universe or canon we grew up with are essentially still around in some capacity," Kurtzman explained. "But their lives have been altered, so they may again intersect with our crew."

"There's a deal in place with the writers and the actors," Abrams said recently of "Trek" sequel plans, explaining that all the key actors are under contract to return. "If people like this movie, and there's a demand for another one, we would be happy to work on it."

Well, they certainly did — and Kurtzman and his writing partner Roberto Orci (who also collaborated on the upcoming "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen") told us that their minds are already swimming with sequel possibilities.

"I don't think we ever need to talk about time travel again," Orci explained, saying that Leonard Nimoy and other "original universe" cast members will likely be unnecessary from here on out. "In fact, in the end of the movie, the device that allows time travel is destroyed. So we're stuck with this universe we're in now."

"Now we're in this new world," Kurtzman agreed. "And we're just gonna have to live through the unpredictable future."

As for ideas in that universe, Orci explained: "We've had a couple of really preliminary conversations, but we really didn't want to [get ahead of ourselves], because this isn't something we invented. We wanted to see what fans think of the first one; let's see what works, and what people think is the best in what we've done. And then we can take that into account when we think about the next movie."

Asked how soon they'd start writing the "Trek" sequel if the first one is announced as a hit the Monday after opening weekend, Orci said: "That day."

"I'm already going back and reading some of the books I've missed," he said of "Trek" tales and fan-fiction that have been written in past years, which could be reinterpreted for their new universe. "I'm trying to read every 'Star Trek' book I can get my hands on. We did that a lot for the first movie. ... I'm starting to re-immerse myself again in what's come before."

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
Re: 'Star Trek' Sequel Will Deal With 'Unpredictable Future
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:58:27 pm »
So the bastardization of trek will continue then?

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:15:03 pm »

Hell yeah as it should!  Somebody needs to send the "history of the General War"
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:53:27 pm »
"I don't think we ever need to talk about time travel again," Orci explained, saying that Leonard Nimoy and other "original universe" cast members will likely be unnecessary from here on out. "In fact, in the end of the movie, the device that allows time travel is destroyed. So we're stuck with this universe we're in now."

Bwahahahah!  He's kidding right?  Let's see, sure the old Trek had it's issues, but rather than fix the problem a restart was necessary.  The first film has documented 'issues' even by those who like the film, so what makes him think they won't need to do it again?  Not only that, but lazy writers tend to use the whole time thing and screw everything up, what makes you think destroying a machine will stop them?  Sure, they may not time trip in the next film or two (but I'm not holding my breath), but it will bear it's ugly head again, and I don't don't think I'll have time to turn blue if I was to hold my breath until it did.

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 12:29:22 am »

Just accept it as an alternate timeline..on a positive note...as new peeps get the trek bug...they will find us...allready seen some new peeps and some oldtimers comming back...

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 02:26:14 am »
I like the restart of the Trek universe. Now that it seems that one of the Major Races has been eliminated. I suggest that CBS and Paramount open talks with Larry Niven.  ;D.  I mean the Kitty's could be a thorn in the sides of both the Feds and the Klingon's  ;D

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:35:48 am »
I like the restart of the Trek universe. Now that it seems that one of the Major Races has been eliminated. I suggest that CBS and Paramount open talks with Larry Niven.  ;D.  I mean the Kitty's could be a thorn in the sides of both the Feds and the Klingon's  ;D

I would LOVE this creative team to incorporate the General War.  i know it'll never happen but damn . . .

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 11:29:27 am »
The Romulans aren't gone (at least in this alternate universe). Though Romulus has been wiped out in the Prime time line I don't think it spells disaster for the entire empire.

Though with the new start, I'm also hoping they advance some of the concepts left behind in TOS... the Kzinti being one of them :)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:36:16 am »
I like the idea of Kzinti, but we have one universe, without Romulans, One without Vulcans.

after all that effort to wipe them out, do you think they will push for yet another Race of pointy eared Hominids?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 12:40:12 pm »

I would LOVE this creative team to incorporate the General War.  i know it'll never happen but damn . . .

There's no reason we couldnt start a lobby campiagn...there are still alot of SFB players out there..

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 03:26:48 pm »
I like the idea of Kzinti, but we have one universe, without Romulans, One without Vulcans.

after all that effort to wipe them out, do you think they will push for yet another Race of pointy eared Hominids?

Stephen

Why would the Prime Universe be without Romulans? 

The Romulans are an interstellar Empire, one Super Nova wouldn't wipe them out.  Also with the radiation traveling at light speed they have years or even decades to evacuate planetary systems.  That also assumes that they don't place objects or energy shields in the way to block or divert the radiation front.  On Romulus itself they can not only put shields over cities but they can dig into the ground. 

Don't forget the Federation would send aid if allowed, sending Hortas to dig out underground cities would be one option in addition to fleets of transports moving people to unoccupied worlds.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 03:27:23 pm »
I wonder if Stephen Cole has ever pushed to have the SFB timeline and races moved into canon.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 03:56:38 pm »
I wonder if Stephen Cole has ever pushed to have the SFB timeline and races moved into canon.

If he did, he'd lose control over it.   SFB/Trek cannon was the same up until the "5 year mission" ended before "Enterprise" retconned the whole thing.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:46:51 pm »
Where were the Rommie when all this was going on and why could the Klingons stop that ship?

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 09:48:50 pm »
Where were the Rommie when all this was going on and why could the Klingons stop that ship?

What I got from the movie was that the super nova wasn't expected and was destroying more than just Romulus; Old Spock's ship was trying to save it when Nero and his mining ship just happened along to view the spectacle.

Now, granted it is more or less an elaborate freighter with big guns, but it is still more powerful than anything that the Klingons, Feds, and others in the "past" have encountered. What you've seen throughout Trek Prime is more or less equal matches between two forces (so long as you ignore the Dominion War, Q, Voyager, the early BoBW Borg, and a few others). It is difficult for me to explain, but you should be able to visualize modern day US Marines (with plenty of ammo) vs. any given legion of the Roman Army. Heck, In a Mirror, Darkly shows what one advanced ship can do against inferior technology.

There was a movie where a CVN (been so long I forget the name of the ship and the movie!!) went back in time and could have ended WW2 without much thought (except for the time travel paradox thing, I remember that being a theme of the movie).

Where was Nero during the 20 something years waiting on Old Spock? Hangin' out and waiting.

Now, back on topic, I don't want to see pure SFB canon in the next however many films, but something along the lines of The General War would be great. SFB is its own entity within Trek, and should, for the most part, remain so.

I would LOVE for them to fix the ships to be more TOS-like, or even TMP-like by the end of this series' run, but I so doubt that that is even a twinkle in anyone's eyes that is in charge of the films.

I would be tickled if, during the very last film, the stalwart crew of the E fixes everything back to normal.

Czar "I must be dreaming," Mohab
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 10:47:32 pm »

What I got from the movie was that the super nova wasn't expected and was destroying more than just Romulus; Old Spock's ship was trying to save it when Nero and his mining ship just happened along to view the spectacle.

Now, granted it is more or less an elaborate freighter with big guns, but it is still more powerful than anything that the Klingons, Feds, and others in the "past" have encountered. What you've seen throughout Trek Prime is more or less equal matches between two forces (so long as you ignore the Dominion War, Q, Voyager, the early BoBW Borg, and a few others). It is difficult for me to explain, but you should be able to visualize modern day US Marines (with plenty of ammo) vs. any given legion of the Roman Army. Heck, In a Mirror, Darkly shows what one advanced ship can do against inferior technology.

There was a movie where a CVN (been so long I forget the name of the ship and the movie!!) went back in time and could have ended WW2 without much thought (except for the time travel paradox thing, I remember that being a theme of the movie).

Where was Nero during the 20 something years waiting on Old Spock? Hangin' out and waiting.

Now, back on topic, I don't want to see pure SFB canon in the next however many films, but something along the lines of The General War would be great. SFB is its own entity within Trek, and should, for the most part, remain so.

I would LOVE for them to fix the ships to be more TOS-like, or even TMP-like by the end of this series' run, but I so doubt that that is even a twinkle in anyone's eyes that is in charge of the films.

I would be tickled if, during the very last film, the stalwart crew of the E fixes everything back to normal.

Czar "I must be dreaming," Mohab

The movie was the final countdown and the USS NIMITZ going through a water worm hole and ending up like 2 days before pearl harbor happened.

In the time of the movie though the rommies where still around, i dont remember anything saying otherwise, though it does say about 47 klingon ships destroyed. So the Romulans seem to me to still be around.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 08:40:22 pm »
That is what I was getting to as what Mani said but those Rommies looked like Remans with tatoos on to me.I can't see how 47 klink ships got destroyed when the Enterprise could survive.

Yeah in that move Final Countdown they were going to attack the Jap fleet the USS Nimitz but got sucked back into that wormhole.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 03:15:43 pm »
There was a scene cut from the movie explaining that, after the Kelvin rammed the Narada, a Klingon fleet intercepted the ship and took it under custody and sent Nero and the crew to Rura penthe. After twenty odd years, Nero broke out and recovered his ship, destroying the Klingon fleet set out to stop him.

The Enterprise survived only because circumstances stopped it from being destroyed. Nero stopped his ship from destroying it when he recognized it as the Enterprise (and thus the ship Spock was on). The Enterpise was fleeing when it got shot at, so it was only hit once, and iin the last instance Nero was shooting at the Jellyfish, ignoring the Enterprise completely. Had it been a 1 on 1 fight, Enterprise would have been just like the rest of the fleet at Vulcan.

as to the Romulans... I like this portrayal much more than the TNG+ version with the cranial ridges. This time around their ancestry with vulcan is just as believable as it was in TOS.