Topic: $25 Billion in "the bank" so why is Microsoft going into debt?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Link to full article

The bonds were issued with maturities of 5, 10 and 30 years. The five-year bonds’ coupon of 2.95% was just 0.95% over comparable Treasurys. “It was the first double-digit spread I’ve seen in a year and a half,” says Bob Persons, manager of the MFS Bond fund (MBDIX), since before the credit crunch widened the risk premiums on all manner of debt. The 10-year bonds’ coupon of 4.2% and the 30-year bonds’ coupon of 5.2% were both 1.05% over comparable Treasurys.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: $25 Billion in "the bank" so why is Microsoft going into debt?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 04:38:24 am »
Acquisition? Or perhaps they are foreseeing a financial situation where they will not be able to borrow in the future? It's a lot of liquidity but who knows.
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 11:48:10 am »
And you never spend your own money when you can spend someone else's money on a risky venture.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 04:21:51 pm »
I wonder if these are also non resource monies.  If they are, then if things go belly up, they can write it off as a loss and not have their credit hit.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.