Topic: -= Prototype =- An initial Review  (Read 2342 times)

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
-= Prototype =- An initial Review
« on: June 11, 2009, 11:51:16 pm »
Well, I had been waiting for this game for a while.

Pre-ordered offa Steam®, and I'm going to tell you right now...

it was worth every cent.

Now, granted I'm running a dream machine for a gaming rig, but this game looked absolutely fantastic on my two 9800's in SLI. The details are great for the models, and while there has been come complaints about the windows on the buildings looking like decals, I think the game is awesome.

So far gameplay feels like Woverine: Origins ( the new wolverine).. a very similiar feel to the leveling, etc... but beyond that it's amazing beyond words. Just getting around the city itself is entertaining.. you can do all kinds of acrobatic moves and the leaps.. oh man.. it's like Spiderman could be, only without the webs - and that doesn't suck, either.

People react to you... appropriately. If your walking around just moving through a crowd, you'll push people aside. Some will not mind, some will complain... and some will complain LOUDLY.

Almost everything is destructable to a degree... you can pick up cars, air-conditioning units from the tops of buildings, all kinds of things.

I captured about two minutes and thirty seconds of said gameplay. The city, New York, is completely rendered, so it's "free reign". You can go everywhere, and in fact, it's encouraged. Mini-games like collecting the "Landmark" tokens to unlock things, hints, and other objects help keep the game refreshing, while events gan garner you gold, silver and bronze metals. You can replay an event over and over again until your plain sick of it, or satisfied with your score.

Here's the file for the gameplay video - it's pretty big, so I redid it in 1280 X 800 - still, in DivX format.. you can see the detail.  This is gameplay from when I had been playing the game roughly an hour or so... and was in "Free Reign" mode, just collecting Landmarks.

Original - 1620 X 1080 (379 MB)

Smaller - 1280 X 800 (256MB)

Neither have sound.

I really would recommend this game to anyone who would like a good single player smashem up go everywhere Neo - like superhero game... this one's it.

I'll report more as I play through it. Probably make some more videos - I just FRAPS my game play as I go along, and then convert it down to  a smaller codec.

Feel free to post your thoughts !

Regards,
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:12:17 am by Bonk »
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: -= Prototype =- An initial Review
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:52:24 am »
I try and pull up the files and end up at Microfocus.com hmmmm.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 05:16:25 am »
Links corrected. (SMF has a UBB code FTP link button now)

Marstone, on the old broken links I just got a DNS error, you may want to check with your ISP about your DNS, it sounds like you have hit a catch-all which may be diagnostic of DNS hijacking or a rootkit. I'd run MS's RootKitRevealer to investigate (read its results carefully - not everything it thinks is a rootkit is necessarily - only if it does not match something you have installed). Check browser settings or try another. If you use a router, double check that it's firmware is intact and up-to date. If it is your ISP doing this you may want to take a look at OpenDNS.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 07:24:11 am »
Gameplay and engine dynamics looks alot like the new spiderman game that is out also.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:26:42 pm »
Definitely not my kind of game but I have heard that Infamous is actually quite a bit better, especially in terms of representing the city, people, and the atmosphere.  Of course, you will need a PS3 for Infamous.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 10:38:39 pm »
Kinda looks like fun to me. I notice you mentioned air conditioners and cars, there are a lot of those, not enough other stuff. But I suppose that is reasonable for a beta.

I wonder about "footprints", do you leave a trail of destruction up the sides of those buildings or do they magically repair?

Files are mighty big there though, I made some H264/MP4s out of the big one. The smaller of the two can at least give dial up users the idea of it pretty well, and the larger one has a surprising amount of detail.

810 x 540 (53.3MB)

405 x 270 (17.7MB)

Save trees! Er, conserve bandwidth, um you know what I mean...

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:26:59 pm »
Definitely not my kind of game but I have heard that Infamous is actually quite a bit better, especially in terms of representing the city, people, and the atmosphere.  Of course, you will need a PS3 for Infamous.

Coincidentally enough, all the gaming review sites seem to disagree with you Lepton, old boy.

Here's one that is particularly poignent:

http://www.destructoid.com/how-prototype-is-blatantly-better-than-infamous-135979.phtml

Regards,

Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:07:30 pm »
1up.com: inFamous: A-  Prototype: B-
giantbomb.com: inFamous: 5 stars  Prototype: 4 stars
IGN.com: inFamous: 9.2  Prototype: 7.5
gameinformer.com: inFamous: 9  Prototype: 7.2
gamezone.com: inFamous: 9.3  Prototype: 9.4 (this is one of the sites to rate Prototype highest on metacritic)
g4TV.com:  inFamous: 5 out of 5  Prototype: 4 out of 5 
gamespot.com:  inFamous: 9.0  Prototype: 8.5
gametrailers.com:  inFamous: 9.0  Prototype: 8.6

Joystiq's metareviews:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/27/metareview-infamous-ps3/

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/11/metareview-prototype/

Seems pretty clear to me.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:13:56 am by Lepton »

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 04:20:43 pm »
Son's been playing the game this weekend, we see no Wolverine style in it at all.

Combo of Saints Row and Spider:Web of shadows with alot of blood thrown in.

Recomend from my son.  He does like it.