Topic: Coloured Tabs in IE 8  (Read 4788 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Coloured Tabs in IE 8
« on: June 15, 2009, 03:25:39 pm »
Can anybody explain what they mean? I'm looking at two fuschia tabs right now, other times they are orange, green, yellow, blue, grey... it does not seem quite random, but I cannot for the life of me divine its significance. What's new in IE8 did not help much (but it did explain all these annoying little "accelerator" icons that I did not place on any page....). I am beginning to find IE8 very frustrating to deal with. Why does IE have to do everything differently... and why for the love of god must so many people use it? Just to punish web developers?

Anyway, WTF do all the pretty colours mean?

Arg.  <-- does not quite cover it. Decorum prevents expressing my true feelings.

Demanding their own header... unbelievable. Definitely a pointy haired boss idea, clearly not thought through. So in twenty years how many headers will a web server require to maintain compatibility will all the browser versions? Effing retarded I tell you.

X-UA-Compatible IE=EmulateIE7 Huh?
How about X-UA-Compatible IE=EmulateASteamingPileOfCrap ? yeah, I like that better.

So bye bye DOCTYPE (it was a bad enough idea), so this is how MS dismisses W3.

I'm not the only one ranting about this. A quick google reveals a huge uproar, but we're all just putting up with it and going along with it, because we have to, becasue your windows update tells you that you must use IE8 and only IE8 and that you must bow and pray before the altar of Bill and...   OMG it makes me want to  :puke:

No offense to any IE fans out there, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just needed to vent a little, just like EVERY other web developer who cannot believe how idiotic it is.

Something has to be done. It has finally gone too far. But how? The obvious answer is a virus that will kill IE once and for all. A monoculture is a liability and weakness. Nature favours the diverse. (and standards adherent, lol)

:soap: :rant: :cuss:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:02:43 pm by Bonk »

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: Coloured Tabs in IE 8
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 04:59:45 pm »
Widows 7 will not have Internet Explorer included in Europe. We do need to get mandatory IE removed elsewhere as well.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 05:24:26 pm »
Widows 7 will not have Internet Explorer included in Europe. We do need to get mandatory IE removed elsewhere as well.

It is expected that pre installed versions of Windows will have a browser set up by the OEM. Hopefully the OEMs will leave a choice for the users rather than all settling on the same browser.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:57:12 pm »
Colored Tabs :

These are tabs that are grouped with the main page.. if you right click a link and select Open in New Tab, it will assign a specific color to those 2 tabs.. showing that those pages were linked .. then say you open a 3rd tab independantly and do a web search and open multiple tabs from the search engine.. those pages would have a different color from the first 2 tabs (first 2 tabs were not related to 3rd tab web search)

It is just a visual reference tool to help you track which window was spawned from which page.

Like on these forums.. I might have 3 sections opened individually.. like Administrators Forum, DII forum and Engineering.. then I open separate tabs from each one of those boards for specific topic links.. so now I have 3 color groups to help me keep track of which board section I am reading from, especially when I am down the page and can't see the page link chain or so many windows open I can't read the titles of the tabs.

It is a useful tool, especially if your mind jumps topics like mine does.. I usually have 20  topics in my head at once.. as such, the color coordination system really helps me keep track of where and what I am posting.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:10:35 pm by Cptn_Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:52:33 am »
Ah, thank you very much Pestalence, that explains it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some kind of compatibility or security display.

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:11:34 pm »
There's also a failure with the colors: if you navigate away from the linked page(s) without closing the color tab, you still have the color - a perfect example is clicking on a link in tab one for a video that will display in tab two. If you're like me, you get into a youtube loop and spend many lost minutes cycling through more videos and finally just going to a new page all together in tab two (or one, or both); but the "we're linked" color doesn't go away. Solution is to r-click the tab and select option #4, "Ungroup this tab", or just close one out and start over.

The colors are also handy when opening several pages from one "tab one" and then ungrouping "tab one" - it will keep the colors of what you wanted to read but allows you start over (in color) from tab one. Handy for wiki's and other similar examples that I can't think of right now.

Also found that there are some instances where IE8 just doesn't want to load a page for whatever reason. Usually "combatability" mode will fix this, and sometimes just a r-click on the tab and selecting "dublicate tab" (or ctrl+k) will fix it. Also handy for having multiples of Dyna when first starting (I'm lazy that way) a forum reading session.

Czar "Since IE8, I've been using IE and FF side by side, with no preference to either," Mohab

P.S. Windows' "first run" setup should allow the user to choose from a list of browsers to install; keep the IE at the top of the list, for pride or whatever, and then throw in four or five more; with the option to connect to the 'net and see if there are more that you might like. Also, allow for multiples from day one (you can choose two or more to have, but only one as primary) durring the setup phase. That is how they should do it!

P.P.S. Also, let us guys run MS update scans from other browsers so we don't need to have IE installed (for those times when auto update isn't playing nicely).
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:13:20 pm »

P.P.S. Also, let us guys run MS update scans from other browsers so we don't need to have IE installed (for those times when auto update isn't playing nicely).

I've been thinking for a while that Windows could use a "repository" system like various forms of Linux do.  Set up right groups or manufacturers could set up their own repositories that could be linked to from the same software that updates Windows. 

Just as an example with Linux Mint that I am using I use a program called Adept not only to get OS updates but updates for other application software too.   Microsoft likely wouldn't do it as it would be too useful for competitors but someone could do it themselves with open source software repositories.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."