Topic: Win 7 pre-order Deals  (Read 6510 times)

Offline Wraith 413

• Lt.
  • Alliance Trooper
Win 7 pre-order Deals
« on: June 25, 2009, 07:36:58 pm »
 For those that want to purchase Win 7, follow the link to see the pricing and details. This starts tomorrow, 26 June.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/06/25/announcing-the-windows-7-upgrade-option-program-amp-windows-7-pricing-bring-on-ga.aspx

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Win 7 pre-order Deals
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:28:29 am »
Thanks for the info Wraith...

Here it is in a nutshell guys.

So here’s the low-down on pricing for Windows 7. The estimated retail prices for upgrade packaged retail product of Windows 7 in the U.S. are:

* Windows 7 Home Premium (Upgrade): $119.99
    * Windows 7 Professional (Upgrade): $199.99
    * Windows 7 Ultimate (Upgrade): $219.99

And the estimated retail prices for full packaged retail product of Windows 7 in the U.S. are:

* Windows 7 Home Premium (Full): $199.99
    * Windows 7 Professional (Full): $299.99
    * Windows 7 Ultimate (Full): $319.99

This means that Windows 7 Home Premium full retail product is $40.00 less than Windows Vista Home Premium today.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:13:53 am »
Just pre-ordered my copy..

Got the option to upgrade my retail copy of Vista ultimate x64 to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 for $0.00 plus $9.99 for shipping and handeling.

Check out their upgrade option, it is CD key based to verify..

What was wierd was I put my key in, they validated, and it gave me 3 options of OS to choose from.. Vista Ultimate, Vista Home Premium, Vista Business (as the one I owned).

But IIRC that I could choose version on install from my disk.. so I guess the key unlocks all 3 versions, but why bother with the other 2 options when the main one is Ultimate.

Anyhow, I selected Ultimate, and next screen showed Windows 7 Ultimate (DVD) $0.00

Continued my processing and S$H showed to be $9.99

so now I am all set to recieve Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ..

Check it out guys.. really cool.

Windows 7 Ultimate      Part # GLC-00184      1      $0.00      $0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Shipping, handling, and processing fees ($9.99), plus applicable GST / Sales taxes will be charged.

Subtotal  $0.00 

Shipping  $9.99 

Tax  $0.82

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order Total  $10.81 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:50:17 pm by Cptn_Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 01:15:37 pm »
Microsoft adapting.

Link to full article

Microsoft is considering offering Windows 7 on a thumb drive to allow Netbook owners to more easily upgrade their machines, a source tells CNET News.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 05:57:17 pm »
Thanks for the info Wraith...

Here it is in a nutshell guys.

So here’s the low-down on pricing for Windows 7. The estimated retail prices for upgrade packaged retail product of Windows 7 in the U.S. are:

* Windows 7 Home Premium (Upgrade): $119.99
    * Windows 7 Professional (Upgrade): $199.99
    * Windows 7 Ultimate (Upgrade): $219.99

And the estimated retail prices for full packaged retail product of Windows 7 in the U.S. are:

* Windows 7 Home Premium (Full): $199.99
    * Windows 7 Professional (Full): $299.99
    * Windows 7 Ultimate (Full): $319.99

This means that Windows 7 Home Premium full retail product is $40.00 less than Windows Vista Home Premium today.

Stephen

I see two choices here.  Buy the Home Premium or spend an extra $120 USD and buy the Ultimate.  No point in buying the Professional when I can get the Ultimate for $20 more.  How stripped down is Premium anyway?  I guess I have some research to do later...

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 07:23:26 pm »
Home Premium is Ultimate Edition with parts of the whole OS locked out by the CD key.. however those lockouts cause some system instability that is not present in the Ultimate edition..

For casual users.. no big deal.. for gamers.. Ultimate has the better memory management and stability.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 10:35:45 pm »
Ok Pesty, now the big question here.

How does 7 handle more then 2 monitors? I ask as I think I will be using a quad display by the end of the year.

One problem I ran into was Instance Fragmentation using two cards in windows, Don't get me wrong it works, but runs too many CPU cycles for my taste.

Also, how well would it work (If and only If) I decide to go skulltrail instead of I7? Will it take advantage of the extra cores (CPU)?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 01:01:09 am »
Not familiar  with skulltrails.. but with the Core 2 Duo, I usually run 2 monitors.. both HD.. running 2 NVidia 8800s in SLI, I run Windows Media Center with my TV tuner on 1 monitor and play Age of Conan with the other. no issues at all.. I even split my audio.. Primary sound for game off my 5.1 surround, and have my headphone jack set up on 2nd audio output with desktop speakers connected for full stereo sound.

I know that my NVidia's are designed to run 2 monitors in HD (Dual Link DVI) x2 cards.. so a total of 4 monitors without a single glitch on Windows 7.

Only limiting factor is system memory.. so definately recommend 64 bit OS with 8 GB system memory and recommend the i7 CPU @ 3.0 Ghz (3.2 GhZ preferrably) and at least the 960 chipset (preferrably the 980 chipset for overclocking later on to pull more system performance to compete with newer hardware that will come out)

I truely don't see a problem with Windows 7 (with ready boost enabled) and NVidia cards  and running multiple monitors.. the NVidia driver control panel has Multi Display or single display operation which is selectable so setting up for Multi-monitor will actually expand your settings to each monitor and allow each video port to operate separately.. now how Windows 7 handles it, I just expand my desktop to each monitor and drag / drop each program to each monitor and allow the GPUs to sort things out on their own.. but I get no lag .. however remember the more memory intensive the application, the more system ram and the stronger CPU and the better the vid cards you need.

but the i7, 980 chipset and 2 NVidia 295 GTX with 1.5 GB vid memory each, and 8 GB system memory and 8 GB ready boost - you should be able to push 4 monitors in HD, or 8 monitors in VGA (using adapter from Dual Link DVI to VGA and then a splitter).. the vid cards I mentioned can handle that task with no problems if you are running 4 monitors.. the OS should be stable enough.. so the remaing factor is the system itself.. however any CPU / Motherboard still using FSB will introduce unnecessary latency due to speed limitations (slower clock cycles in the CPU).

Now as for Multiple Cores.. Windows 7 optimizes programs for CPU usage, however at times some programs may not utilize each core properly (not Windows fault, but application programming error) you would have to set CPU affinity manually in Task Manager opened in Administrator mode.. but you can actually set each processor to different tasks.. like CPU 0 (primary) to OS, CPU 1 to Application A, CPU 2 to Application B and so forth.. or you can just set affinity for all programs to all CPUs and allow Windows to equally distribute CPU processing power to each application.. that is up to you.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 02:03:19 pm »
Thank you sir, exactly what I wanted to know man. I have been eyeing this to be honest.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001ISJONM/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

If you scroll down, you get the Trificta there, MB, CPU and Memory. But then I saw where it was more set up for ATI-Crossfire. So I'll give it some more research, Shoot New egg beats Amazon anyways, I just liked the package deal there.

Stephen

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 05:52:45 pm »
Just pre-ordered my copy..

Got the option to upgrade my retail copy of Vista ultimate x64 to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 for $0.00 plus $9.99 for shipping and handeling.

Check out their upgrade option, it is CD key based to verify..

What was wierd was I put my key in, they validated, and it gave me 3 options of OS to choose from.. Vista Ultimate, Vista Home Premium, Vista Business (as the one I owned).

But IIRC that I could choose version on install from my disk.. so I guess the key unlocks all 3 versions, but why bother with the other 2 options when the main one is Ultimate.

Anyhow, I selected Ultimate, and next screen showed Windows 7 Ultimate (DVD) $0.00

Continued my processing and S$H showed to be $9.99

so now I am all set to recieve Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ..

Check it out guys.. really cool.

Windows 7 Ultimate      Part # GLC-00184      1      $0.00      $0.00

* Shipping, handling, and processing fees ($9.99), plus applicable GST / Sales taxes will be charged.

Subtotal  $0.00 

Shipping  $9.99 

Tax  $0.82

Order Total  $10.81

What link did u use to preorder it.

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 05:56:55 pm »
from the info I see it looks like the Windows Vista upgrade link.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 06:39:34 pm »
https://om2.one.microsoft.com/opa/Validation.aspx?StoreID=127971aa-ac70-438f-9304-4bd05de66415&LocaleCode=en-us

They send the Windows 7 Ultimate Edition DVD..

I didn't see Upgrade when I cross referenced the part number..

Edit : looked on retail store sites, it is an Upgrade version.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline manitoba1073

• Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 04:16:10 am »
https://om2.one.microsoft.com/opa/Validation.aspx?StoreID=127971aa-ac70-438f-9304-4bd05de66415&LocaleCode=en-us

odd i tried using the link but it keeps telling me i need cookies enabled and they are.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 06:02:00 am »

odd i tried using the link but it keeps telling me i need cookies enabled and they are.

Go to this page

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/upgrade.aspx

scroll down to bottom and click Order Here, green button on the right.. has steps 1, 2, 3 in front of it.

that button will take you to the link I posted.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline manitoba1073

• Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 08:14:58 am »

Go to this page

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/upgrade.aspx

scroll down to bottom and click Order Here, green button on the right.. has steps 1, 2, 3 in front of it.

that button will take you to the link I posted.

TY very much. that time it work.

Upgrade Product  Quantity  Price * (USD)  Total 

Windows 7 Ultimate
Part # GLC-00184

1 $0.00 $0.00

* Shipping, handling, and processing fees ($9.99), plus applicable GST / Sales taxes will be charged.  Subtotal $0.00
Shipping $9.99
Tax  $0.60

Order Total  $10.59 

now to send the mail out monday to there service center.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 08:31:50 am »
So, reading that, it says it's only valid for Vista products purchased  between June 26, 2009 and January 31, 2010 and that you have to mail in a copy of the sales receipt to the MS service center postmarked March 1, 2010 and received by April 1, 2010.  Sadly, I do not fit in that category.  After Vista (which I actually had very little problem with until recently) I'm not sure I want to be an early adapter this time around.  I think the biggest problem last time was the lack of x64 support and general issues from developers when things came out and the amount of time it took for a lot of developers to come out with adequate x64 support.  That obviously won't be too big an issue this time around, unless MS has changes the workings a lot.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 08:12:10 pm »
Windows 7 is basically Vista with a slightly changed GUI and better compatibility mode (programs that suffer in Vista for being too old / did not follow proper programming techniques is still present in Windows 7, no VB 6 support DirectX 8 emulated in DirectX 11, strict adherence on programming language if program is written in MS Visual C++ 6.0 [freelance code bugs out badly]).. along with better memory management, getter stability, better recovery if crash / power outage (or 2 year olds hitting the power switch or 12 year old plugging vaccum into wrong outlet and popping breaker).

If you have Vista, i would highly recommend getting an upgrade package at least.. they should be reduced cost if you had it longer than time in offer states.. I would contact sales@microsoft.com and see what the offer is on it.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 08:41:35 pm »
until July 11th Windows 7 Home edition is $49 while proffessional is $99 after July 11th you pay full price.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 11:30:16 pm »
Two things.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/25/windows-7-official-pricing-announced-limited-pre-orders-start-t/

1.  Pre-orders are going to be strictly limited in number, so don't count on getting these pre-order prices forever.

2.  Full retail versions of Windows 7 are insanely priced for what is a mere update to Vista.  $300 bucks for something other than Home Premium.  For that much money, I could buy HARDWARE not software that is a mere OS upgrade.  Hardware like an XBox 360 Pro, a kickass video card, or a netbook.

I'll wait until I buy a new PC before shelling out this kind of bank for an OS upgrade.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 09:46:34 am »
Canadian Prices.

Version Upgrade price

Windows 7 Home Premium $129.95

Windows 7 Professional $249.95

Windows 7 Ultimate $279.95

Version     Full Price

Windows 7 Home Premium $$224.95

Windows 7 Professional $329.95

Windows 7 Ultimate $349.95
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."