Topic: Sun VirtualBox 3 Performance is Impressive  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Sun VirtualBox 3 Performance is Impressive
« on: July 18, 2009, 05:19:37 am »
After reading that Sun VirtualBox 3 includes 3d hardware acceleration (experimental) I immediately set it up to give OP a try in an XP guest on a Vista host. So far I am unable to get OP to run at all (but discovered something interesting about the quicksilver debug window.. I'll keep you posted marstone).

Anyway, overall this is the best performance from a virtualisation solution that I have seen. I may end up eating some crow as I assume VirtualBox is at least partially java based. ... Well now, I just looked it over and it appears to be all C/C++ and a python scripting interface. No java. ;)

The dxdiag (directx 9c - XP SP3) Direct3D test fails on the directx 7 interfaces, but runs the directx 8 and 9 3D interfaces faster than I have ever seen. The trick to the experimental 3D hardware acceleration support is it needs the custom install option on setup, then once you have a VM setup install the guest additions on the XP VM in safe mode (and again after windows was fully updated).

It looks promising but still has a way to go. It is free and I believe the 3d stuff is OSS as well.

I'm going to give a few more tries at getting OP running on it but if not, I will be keeping my eye on this one.

Offline Cthulhu_Dreams

• Ensign
Re: Sun VirtualBox 3 Performance is Impressive
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:06:42 pm »
Did you ever get this to work? I went through a lot of trouble to set up orion pirates in virtualbox, and I'm going to be super annoyed if its impossible to actually play....

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Sun VirtualBox 3 Performance is Impressive
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 06:21:14 am »
Then just be annoyed then and save yourself the trouble. It may or may not work, but most likely will not.

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163388134.0.html