Topic: Rockhead cruiser design  (Read 13736 times)

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
Rockhead cruiser design
« on: July 25, 2009, 01:02:58 pm »
Been tooling around with Gmax, and I decided to try out a new Tholian design. I guess it's kind of close to the Neo-Tholian NCA and NCL hulls, so maybe it could be related to those.

It is still a work in progress and I would very much appreciate suggestions. I would still like to add some details (but not too many - to keep it fitting in with TOS era), such as 3-D paneling on the main hull -- I think it is too bare now -- but I am currently having some issues with some of the vertex and edge editing. Also, I think the little "tail" coming out of the back looks silly but I don't know where to go with it.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
Re: Rockhead cruiser design
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:04:34 pm »
Here is an example of what I am trying to add in:

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 01:37:52 pm »
Looks pretty cool as is kinda tmpish, but don't matter anyway as rocks are ment to be crushed, so go ahead and get it finished so I can crush it.

But if these pictures are a render in gmax how do you do it I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 03:28:36 pm »
I'd say a combination of the two. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:23:47 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I might try to boil away all the "fat" on this design (like the pyramid on the back, and the nacelles) to try to get it to fit in with the TOS universe. I still like the TMP era, but I am going to try to keep it simpler and then work from there... maybe replacing the main hull with a Tholian Patrol Corvette hull would work too.

But if these pictures are a render in gmax how do you do it I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

I don't know if Gmax has a render tool, but I use a freeware screenshot program called Graffix to take images and then crop them. It doesn't seem to be out there anymore for download, but send me a PM and I can email it to you if you'd like (it's just a single, small .exe file).

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 05:40:35 am »
Very nice work there

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 03:43:58 pm »
Thanks. I added some phasers and some more details around the edges today.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 04:08:47 pm »
Looking pretty good keep it up

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 08:19:42 pm »
Looks a bit like a cross between Tholian and Seltorian tech. I could see there being a connection since IIRC it was originally the Tholians who developed the Seltorian technology.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 10:28:12 pm »
That would be an interesting background, and probably a good way to go -- many of the Tholian classes are already modeled and they fit well together (so many being based on combinations and weldings of the PC hull) so this would be an odd duck if I tried to throw it in with the rest.

If anyone's interested, here is the Graffix screenshot program I mentioned before. Unfortunately, it is shareware, though I don't think it's sold anymore (can't find any links to the company), but that only means that there is a little 'shareware' tag on the corner of saved images... as long as you have room on the original shot to crop, that won't be a problem.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 08:50:56 am »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:20:36 pm by Fallen_Warrior »
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 01:29:21 am »
verp nice tholian design, keep up the good work. you you be texturing as a rock as previous tholian ships have been. Or are you going to do it in the more Revamped constructed sort of way?

Thanks - I was thinking of using the rock textures, and if I do the design as a Seltorian/Tholian meld, it could be a combination of the Seltorian blue-green smooth metal textures and orange crystal Tholian textures.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 04:38:33 am »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:20:30 pm by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 05:36:31 pm »
Getting there...

I emailed Brezgonne to see if I could use his SFB-OP textures, but his two addresses were mail-demoned and he hasn't been here since 2006. I figured it's okay to use his nice textures, if anyone has a problem with this, let me know.

Suggestions on color schemes and textures would be a big help. There are some cool textures, like the Tholian glass and webcaster, that I haven't used but don't know where to put in. Right now, this is the Tholian design, and I will probably play around with it to make the Seltorian/Tholian hybrid.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 08:39:07 pm »
Actually talk to Fallen Warrior I think Brez gave him the authority to cover how his work can be used
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 10:02:51 am »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:20:22 pm by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 10:05:28 am »
Thanks Fallen Warrior, will do!

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 12:23:35 pm »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:16:44 pm by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 02:10:13 pm »
Unfortunately, I was foolish and went crazy with the 'attach' tool pretty early on, making things more difficult to edit. But the real problem is probably the poly count. I don't know what it is now (Gmax on the other machine), but the cones on the model, for example, are segmented when they don't need to be at all. So there are probably hundreds of redundant vertices and lines all over the entire model. But hopefully it can be cleaned up, so I'll keep you informed.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 12:15:44 pm »
Wow! What a difference some textures can make.

I admit that initially, I felt that their was too much roundness for the warp engines. I always figured that the Tholians preferred hard, sharp angles and nothing soft on their ship designs.

Nicely done.

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron