Topic: Where can a noob get help?  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Fade

• Ensign
Where can a noob get help?
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:04:24 pm »
I played SFC 1 and 2 years ago, but the dynaverse never really worked. Seems like that has been sorted out now...might give it another shot.

I am sure there are patches, fixes, etc, but I could not locate an easy 'how to' for doing a fresh install, and patching correctly. Can anyone cover the steps?

It also looks like I lost disk 1 of 2. is the whole install available online anywhere? I have the CD case and key.

Offline Fade

• Ensign
Re: Where can a noob get help?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 09:22:28 am »
Nobody knows?

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 12:03:25 pm »
There is a good how-to here: http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163359567.0.html

However, that is for SFC2-Orion Pirates. I don't think SFC1 is played much online at all anymore. I believe SFC2-Empires at War has one server going, but it doesn't have as many players as Orion Pirates. Orion Pirates has multiple servers, and it is still actively (somewhat!) played on Gamespy Arcade (SFC1 and SFC2-EAW aren't at all).

The good news is that you can definitely find a free version of SFC2-OP online somewhere. I don't want to hint too much at anything, but I've heard that single player OP and standard multiplayer OP (on Gamespy Arcade) don't require the CD-key at all. The online Dynaverse is the only one that checks that. So hopefully you get my gist...

If you do want to play Orion Pirates on an online Dynaverse campaign, it still shouldn't be too bad -- Amazon has some dealers selling OP for less than $20.

Offline Fade

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 11:42:53 am »
Cool, thx for the info. Is Orion Pirates similiar to SFC 2? Better? I am an old SFB player, not too into the 'next gen' type of stuff.

where is that SFC2 server? I thought dynaverse 2 would be about that...but then...maybe that is Dynaverse 1 since SFC1 didn't have a verse.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 02:22:38 pm »
Cool, thx for the info. Is Orion Pirates similiar to SFC 2? Better? I am an old SFB player, not too into the 'next gen' type of stuff.

where is that SFC2 server? I thought dynaverse 2 would be about that...but then...maybe that is Dynaverse 1 since SFC1 didn't have a verse.

Hmm, not sure too much about the SFC2 server, maybe another player could help you with that. But if you are familiar with the Dynaverse2 stuff from EAW, the interface and all that is carried over into OP.

Orion Pirates is almost exactly the same as SFC2:EAW, but with eight extra races for the pirate cartels and a different single player campaign. The good thing about OP over EAW isn't that OP is all that different, but that people are playing it and that it is more easily modded (actually, OP has several mods that include a lot from SFB, which you might like, and these are the mods currently used in Gamespy and Dynaverse play).

To be honest, OP does have some "X2" ships which are supposed to represent the newer years... but not too many people like those and you can choose not to play those anyways (I'm not a fan, either).

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 05:38:19 pm »

Nice to another old SFB player around.  If you can get it, get OP.  It is the main current playing version.  It has a good mod base of SFB stuff added (though it isn't SFB, but close anough).

I was a great SFB player, I suck at SFC but it is still fun.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.