Topic: Transphaic Topedo's and Ablative Hull Armor  (Read 3020 times)

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
Transphaic Topedo's and Ablative Hull Armor
« on: September 09, 2009, 01:29:54 pm »
Voyager returned in 2378 yet the Enterprise E carried neither of these technologies aboard it. Considering Janeway devoloped both while stranded in the Delta Quadrant originally, I cant see a valid reason for starfleet not use the technology especially on the flagship, it makes no sense at all honestly

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Transphaic Topedo's and Ablative Hull Armor
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 02:54:30 pm »
I believe you were referring to ablative generators.  Ablative armor was actually something that first appeared on DS9 and was installed on the Defiant.  So the E probably had it also.  As for why the feds didn't incorporate these new weapons, the answer is simple.  Canon feds are overly obsessed with protecting the timeline from contamination.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 03:23:03 pm »
except the timeline was changed, Voyager would have devloped these in the Delta Quadrant anyway, and sent the tech back to Starfleet anyway during there voyage. ARe you telling me Starfleet will instead lock up this tech and wait for someone 20 years later to invent the same weapons and armor, seems rather counterproductive to me. Especially considering the borg are prolly pissed off and want revenge, id keep these weapons for them.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 06:43:06 pm »
It also might be a mass/energy problem. The defiant and the Voyager for that matter are quite a bit smaller then then the Big-E sovereign.

Just throwing that out there.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 07:44:24 am »
except the timeline was changed, Voyager would have devloped these in the Delta Quadrant anyway, and sent the tech back to Starfleet anyway during there voyage. ARe you telling me Starfleet will instead lock up this tech and wait for someone 20 years later to invent the same weapons and armor, seems rather counterproductive to me. Especially considering the borg are prolly pissed off and want revenge, id keep these weapons for them.

Yes we are telling you that. It was the same group who kept Archer's cloak intel and future tech detection grid under wraps.  ;)

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 08:40:53 am »

Yes we are telling you that. It was the same group who kept Archer's cloak intel and future tech detection grid under wraps.  ;)

I think thats a lame excuse just so Nemesis would work

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 09:18:04 am »

:rofl:  Sophistry and  bad spelling all in one neat package! (You're right, your sig is "lousy". You should ask for your money back)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:09:12 am »

Lets compare the two situations:

(Note: I've seen very little of Voyager but did see the finale.)

Lets start with Voyager and its weapons/defenses.

You propose that the Federation would keep and publicly use the weapons and defenses Voyager used in the finale in a very public way.

1/ Violates the Temporal Prime Directive and Temporal Accords. 

2/ They could keep it secret if they chose as a relatively limited number of Federation personel knew (did any Borg survive with the knowledge?)

3/ It provokes other races to use time travel to gain military advantage and the Klingon ships at the very least are capable of it (as shown in STIV).

So to use these weapons violates their own laws and provokes other races to do the same.

The Cloak Tech in Enterprise:

1/ 4 Separate races were known to have Cloaking tech.  (holoship, Suliban, Romulans and Sphere Builders)

2/ At least the Vulcans and Klingons outside of Earth were aware of it.

3/ You insist that the Romulans would have abandoned it and therefore not used it in the Earth - Romulan war.  No actual evidence for that abandonment just your insistence.

4/ No explanation why Earth/Federation didn't have a "how to fight invisible ships 101" as a "theoretical" course to prepare their Captains in case the Cloak resurfaced in the future.

To suppress the knowledge among their own people leaves not just the races using cloaks an advantage but those other races who have seen cloaks (and the Suliban were widely active and presumably used the cloak just as widely).

So please explain why Earth/Federation would suppress knowledge among their own race that was already known widely including to at least 3 hostile races (assuming the sphere builders can be assumed never to return).  Those races being Suliban, Romulans and Klingons.  (Likely the Andorians too knew of them from the Spheres in the Expanse).

Now explain why the Federation would violate the Temporal Accords and provoke other races to do the same risking an all out time war.

Final Note:  As to the Temporal Accords and Temporal Prime Directives the only episodes I have seen where they are referenced are the DS9 Tribble episode, Enterprise and the Voyager finale.  So I may very well be missing "nuances" in understanding how they worked.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."