Topic: added hitbox screen things  (Read 4297 times)

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
added hitbox screen things
« on: September 09, 2009, 03:20:09 pm »
Ok like FBB FDN ect, can you add new ones to the game to use, say for soverign, admiral ect?

Also how do I change the scripting for years. make early 2200-2260, Medium 2260-2320, and Late 2320-2380?

Just wondering cause I have SFC ships from all diffrent era's and just want the years right without having to do skirmish lol

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
Re: added hitbox screen things
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:14:16 am »
If you are talking EAW or OP, then using ShipEdit is a great way to add ships. It's easier to do if you edit an existing ship (find the closest thing to a Sovereign and change it around with ShipEdit). You can't add any new weapons, unfortunately, but you can do almost everything else to make the ships. There are some mods that change the weapons names through the strings.txt file but the stats remain the same -- so a hellbore can be changed to a Quantum Torpedo, but it will behave exactly the same.

I'm not sure about the year scripting. You might be able to change the eras with strings.txt too. However, you can definitely change the dates the ships come out just with the shiplist, which will be easier if you only have a few ships to swap in. Good luck!

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 01:58:31 pm »
yes im using ship edit, and added all my ships, just want to change the years, and its the hitbox map the game shows, is there away to add more hitmap box's? So when I say attack a soverign the hitbox imagage on my display shows a sovering image instead of an FBB hitpoint image

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 02:55:13 pm »
As far as I know, there's no way to add new Ship System Displays (SSDs), but you can change the SSD to any that is already there (you can have a Klingon one representing the weapons layout on a Federation ship, for example). So you could use any SSD already in the game to match the weapons layout of a Sovereign design, but it will be impossible to use the wireframe diagram of a Sovereign in-game.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:30:48 pm »
darn lol thats what i was hoping to pull off lol. Ya know get all 17 phaser hitboxes for the galaxy and 22 for the soverign lol

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:27:45 pm »
As far as I know, there's no way to add new Ship System Displays (SSDs), but you can change the SSD to any that is already there (you can have a Klingon one representing the weapons layout on a Federation ship, for example). So you could use any SSD already in the game to match the weapons layout of a Sovereign design, but it will be impossible to use the wireframe diagram of a Sovereign in-game.

Working on this.  I got a few projects being worked on, and a new one just got added to the list.    But new ship UI's will be able to be done.  Just not promising when.  Don't want to fall into the 'soon' trap. 

One hang up is how to make sure everyone would have the same Q3 file so the ships display for all.  Haven't tested a version number addition to the Q3 file to see if it crashes it yet.  But once a few details are worked out.  Look for a utility to do this.

I can say, probably will be done before the turn of the century.

*edit*
The other problem is that ShipEdit will not support the new UI's added to the game.  So you will have to manually edit the shiplist to add  them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:46:17 pm by marstone »
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 11:06:49 pm »
that I can do, and if no one else has them wont bother me im a SP and skirmish guy lol

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 11:10:30 pm »
No rush, but that's awesome news, Marstone.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 11:18:37 pm »
that I can do, and if no one else has them wont bother me im a SP and skirmish guy lol

true, and having extra UI's in your Q3 file will not interfere when you play in a game that doesn't use them.  So you wouldn't have to swap out the file to play online with others either.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:42:47 pm »
keep me updated, I can also provide some jpegs of sevral ships If you would like, im not good in alot of places but basic stuff I can do lol. I can even make them look like they belong to SFC

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 12:35:26 am »

Whoa!  That's great news, marstone.  I had no idea anyone was working on new UI's. 

No rush, but please keep us updated.

Would make a great tool for D2 campaigns, if it is somehting that could be installed/uninstalled with the campaign installer.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 03:26:10 am »
  I am kind of working on it, got four projects running right now.

I have been looking into making a template for adding new ships.  So have started to look at ships from the same race to see what assets are used over and over or if they use new assets (images and such) for each ship.  Good news is it seems that they use a few set asset groups for things like shields and the weapons.  So the only new images that might be needed is the ships themselves.

Next is to find out the max size the three ship images can be.  Will go and pull the battleship/dreadnought images and see the size.  Also need to check the colors used.

I am waiting for some books on Lua right now, so will see what I can get done.