Topic: USS Wasp  (Read 6601 times)

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
USS Wasp
« on: September 13, 2009, 11:44:06 am »
Very Early on my design here, but Wanted to move on and get another ship, I intend to go back to Deadalus later, but my ribbing wasnt working out, so I decided to start a new ship, ill be building textures from scrath also. I present USS Wasp.

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/wasp.htm

here is the site with some stats on the ship itself, as you can tell its PreTOS. Work left is getting the shuttlebay mapped gotta learn how to make a sqare onto a sphere for taht one
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:28:09 pm by candle_86 »

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
Re: USS Wasp
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:54:24 pm »
made a nacelle ill mirror it later into all 3 spots
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:12:19 pm by candle_86 »

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 02:52:14 pm »
Good job! a couple suggestions, though.

1, I'd suggest extruding the "engineering" section from the "primary" hull so that it's all one piece as much as possible.

2, The nacelles have way to many polies. You don't need all of those subdivisions down the length of them.

3, Again, extrude the main body of the nacelle from the bussards to cut down on the number of sections and polies.

Ideally, the model should be all one piece. Lot's of modelers don't concern themselves with that too much though. Still where it's possible without a Boolean it's not to hard to do it.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 03:40:13 pm »
I havnt figured out multi materials yet thats my problem but yes im lowering secton count, it was so high because I made the enginerring hull as the first cylinder and the naccels just sort of went with it. Is there away to merge?

ok how do I remove height segments without loosing my rear nacelle stuff, i changed that and lost it all

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:52:35 pm »
well untill I can figure out how to remove sections from the nacells without loosing my cowell here it is exported now need to texture it properly, used my Horizon Textures to line it up

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 04:25:12 pm »
lol I imported it over my deadalus to look at size, looked big, so I imported a galaxy class, and the entire SFC Galaxy fits inside my Warp Nacell, suffice to say I did uniform shrink lol

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 05:30:38 pm »
not sure im gonna finish, just saw sandman3d's wasp and it pwns mine hardcore

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:33:01 pm »
ehh i wanna finish even if no one ever plays with it lol, I figured out Boolean to an extent to shrink stuff into the hull, though when I merge mesh it doesnt change anything lol, except makes it all one mesh but the extra vertices are still there

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 09:17:08 pm »
Ok been working on my Sphere hull texture here is the latest

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 10:25:05 pm »
I havnt figured out multi materials yet thats my problem but yes im lowering secton count, it was so high because I made the enginerring hull as the first cylinder and the naccels just sort of went with it. Is there away to merge?

ok how do I remove height segments without loosing my rear nacelle stuff, i changed that and lost it all

Go to vertex mode and use the scale tool or go to the side profile and select the polys and move them together weld them/ merge all that are in the center of the detail.
If you ever want your models in other games i would say learn how to fit all the texture detail you want in a single texture map for each model something square like 1024x1024 to make it easy to convert to other formats without alot of retexture work. Maping is more of a challenge but its worth it in the long run.
Time for life!

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 11:10:22 pm »
I just need to figure out how to do it honestly havnt figured that part out yet, but here is a minor update, done with the command hull

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 01:20:20 am »
ive got problems now the .mod is 9mb size and I cant find anywhere else to drop some polygons grrr that I can do easily, I loaded it into SFC2 and well lets just say my computer gets about 40FPS with this thing on screen. I spent hours and made an edsel, but here is what it looks like.

I guess tomorrow ill rebuild it, but not make the same mistakes I did the first time