Topic: One of My favorite Movies...  (Read 11259 times)

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
Re: One of My favorite Movies...
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 09:11:50 am »
Last of the Mohicans was a great flick.  One of my favorites.

So was LOTR, but I was really disappointed in the Cavalry charges (both in TT and ROTK).  Apparently, physics mattered throughout the series, except the orcs must have been massless, becauase the cavbalry does not stop or even slow down as they charge through the ranks.
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 06:53:02 pm »
One of these days I'll have to get around to watching Lord of the Rings. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 07:20:43 pm »
Get the extended edition.  Trust me its worth it.  Fellowship has 30 minutes of additional footage, The Towers has 44 minutes, and the King has 52 minutes.

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 08:55:07 pm »

Get thee to a nunnery.

;D

• Commodore
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 09:12:56 pm »

So was LOTR, but I was really disappointed in the Cavalry charges (both in TT and ROTK).  Apparently, physics mattered throughout the series, except the orcs must have been massless, becauase the cavbalry does not stop or even slow down as they charge through the ranks.

Well...  the audience doesnt notice right away because their swept into the moment.  By this point if your heart isn't beating fast, you probably have a pulse rate of thirty.  But yeah if you watch it over and perhaps again you see it.  Plus even if you are somewhat annoyed that the Orcs with their ridiculously short pikes are being swept away like balloons in the wind its onto the next scene with elephants bigger than Brontosauruses (and a King who reforms his horsemen and orders them to charge "head on"),  a skeletal Witch King who wields a Morning Star only a modern day tractor could swing and a ghost army that glides and devours its prey like a swarm of locusts.  This movie isnt about Gettesburgh and reinactment methodology.  So it's all good.

Getting back to Last fo the Mohicans the director there uses a lttle bit of that when we see Hawkeye holding two flint lock muskets in either hand and blowing away two foes while on the run  (a WORLD CLASS feat for those days plus someof those muskets were picked up from dead poorly trained Indians who loaded them)... I mean, don't these guns ever misfire?  (not to mention the ninja like knife play throughout the movie).... Not in Hollywood they don't.  In real life quite a bit thats why you had to stand pretty still to shoot em.  And even then they misfired like bitches, sometimes lethally.

A good director knows that when they got you they got you and they can get away with some stuff.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 11:13:37 pm »
Actually I thought Fellowship was the best made of the LotR trilogy, they awarded RotK simply because of it being a token to all the films combined.

RotK lost it's magic when they had Oliphant surfing...and green army ants...even for a movie that was rather ridiculous...I heard quite a few folks laughing at the stupidity of those scenes.  Overall well made movie, but some foolishness was rather ridiculous.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 06:14:35 am »
Actually I thought Fellowship was the best made of the LotR trilogy, they awarded RotK simply because of it being a token to all the films combined.

RotK lost it's magic when they had Oliphant surfing...and green army ants...even for a movie that was rather ridiculous...I heard quite a few folks laughing at the stupidity of those scenes.  Overall well made movie, but some foolishness was rather ridiculous.

IMHO, 'The Two Towers' was the best, but I agree that they gave the Oscar to RotK for the whole trilogy instead of rewarding each movie, which would have been more fair since they were the best films for their years.

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 08:09:58 am »
Get the extended edition.  Trust me its worth it.  Fellowship has 30 minutes of additional footage, The Towers has 44 minutes, and the King has 52 minutes.

As far as I'm concerned there are no other versions. The theatrical releases are a waste of time. Its worth it just for "Concerning Hobbits" in FOTR and getting to see Saruman finished off in ROTK (even though it deters from the book because of no Scouring of the Shire, it was a great scene). Part of the reason Bombadil irritates me so much is that even with the extra 30 mins of footage FOTR is much shorter than the other two movies. That sequence would have added another 20-30 mins to it which doesn't seem prohibitive considering PJ let ROTK go on for almost five hours. Aragorn could still have given them their weapons at Weathertop. Coming out of the barrow safe, but unarmed would have changed the story very little. I swear Bob Hoskins would have eaten that part (Bombadil) up!

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 09:47:47 am »

Well...  the audience doesnt notice right away because their swept into the moment.  By this point if your heart isn't beating fast, you probably have a pulse rate of thirty.  But yeah if you watch it over and perhaps again you see it.  Plus even if you are somewhat annoyed that the Orcs with their ridiculously short pikes are being swept away like balloons in the wind its onto the next scene with elephants bigger than Brontosauruses (and a King who reforms his horsemen and orders them to charge "head on"),  a skeletal Witch King who wields a Morning Star only a modern day tractor could swing and a ghost army that glides and devours its prey like a swarm of locusts.  This movie isnt about Gettesburgh and reinactment methodology.  So it's all good.

Getting back to Last fo the Mohicans the director there uses a lttle bit of that when we see Hawkeye holding two flint lock muskets in either hand and blowing away two foes while on the run  (a WORLD CLASS feat for those days plus someof those muskets were picked up from dead poorly trained Indians who loaded them)... I mean, don't these guns ever misfire?  (not to mention the ninja like knife play throughout the movie).... Not in Hollywood they don't.  In real life quite a bit thats why you had to stand pretty still to shoot em.  And even then they misfired like bitches, sometimes lethally.

A good director knows that when they got you they got you and they can get away with some stuff.

The "cavalry" charges were really my only complaint.  I don't mind suspending belief for things that are "magic", but the charges weren't "magic" based - it was pretty much a straight up cavalry charge.  It annoyed me because I'm one of those guys that watches movies for "accuracy" (hahaha - in a fantasy movie, i know i know).  Dinna get me wrong, I loved the LOTR movies. 

My favorite was Two Towers... loved watching the psychological battle going on in Gollum's head.  That was the best part of the movie imho.  Second was the battle for Helm's Deep.  It swept me up in what it must be like to be under siege, where there is no escape.  I was imagining how fearful it must be to be under siege when they showed that shot of the women and chillen hiding when the bad guys were outside stomping and stuff.

Yeah I go for extended version only... and couldn't care less about Tom Bombadil or anythign else that was from the books that was left out... It was a damn great series imho.

And all I have to say about movies...

Pearl Harbor = Worst.  Movie.  Ever.  Worse than Roadhouse. 
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 09:56:56 am »

You need to see The Spirit.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 05:55:05 pm »

Get thee to a nunnery.

;D

I do have the DVD sets, I just haven't watched them yet.  Its only been a few years so far.  I'll get around to it one day.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

• Commodore
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 12:53:12 am »

Bad or good?  I assume bad. But... you might mean good.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 01:32:11 am »

Bad or good?  I assume bad. But... you might mean good.

Worst film I have ever seen.  It makes Pearl Harbor look like a masterpiece.  After seeing this film, I have to say that anyone who even thinks about letting Frank Miller near the director's chair again should be shot.  The only thing the film had going for it was the shock value of that one scene where Samuel L. Jackson was in a nazi uniform.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:06:15 am by knightstorm »

Offline Father Ted

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 09:48:59 am »

Worst movie? Try "Natural Born Killers". If people needed a hint that Oliver Stone had truly gone off the deep end, this was it.

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 10:29:49 pm »
Worst movie for me? Brave heart.

What a piece of misguided history. Nun chucks for gods sake. I mean come on. Don't even get me started with Bridge battles that are not on a bridge.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 11:01:19 pm »

What a piece of misguided history. Nun chucks for gods sake. I mean come on. Don't even get me started with Bridge battles that are not on a bridge.

Stephen

I thought that was like a grain flail or something.  Not that it being a grain flail would help the rest of the movie that much.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

• Commodore
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 01:32:20 am »

Stephen

A lot of Directors are using oriental style fighting their movies.  Even LOTR.  A fad I think.

• Commodore
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 01:56:01 am »
Well time for a slight diversion to one of my favorite films of all time.   And amazingly the conflict presented here hasn't a moment of violence. This film turns up on many a scholars top ten films of all time.

Here we see that moment where actions and music combine in a conflict between good and evil.  This time music itself becomes the object of contention.  I think you all know this film.  The brooding hero of this film is an Amercian Icon, a cynical man who finally after great disappointments chooses a side. He's the real hero here, the decider, and at great cost.  As in the other clips the camera also focuses on single individuals.  Note the shift in camera angles near the end of the scene (very pronounced) that denotes a huge reordering in the balance of power.  I added the last scene because its always a favorite, completes it, and provides some comic relief.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYbEPZVVIA&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gf8NK1WAOc&feature=related[/youtube] 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 02:26:07 am by _Rondo_GE The OutLaw »

Offline Father Ted

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2009, 02:52:36 am »
It was made years before I was born, but 'Casablanca' is still an alltime classic. There are good movies and then there are great movies, and I'd put 'Casablanca' in that second list any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2009, 08:04:31 am »

What a piece of misguided history. Nun chucks for gods sake.

Stephen

Are you trying to tell me that nun chucks aren't traditional Scottish weapons?