Topic: One of My favorite Movies...  (Read 11260 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: One of My favorite Movies...
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 08:31:22 am »
Worst movie for me? Brave heart.

What a piece of misguided history. Nun chucks for gods sake. I mean come on. Don't even get me started with Bridge battles that are not on a bridge.

Stephen

That was a flail. They never get all history movies right. Patton never stood out in the wide open firing his pistols at a strafing fighter plane, but it was still a good movie. I like Braveheart for its realistic medieval battle scenes, I don't think I ever felt it was historically accurate (The French princess was a child at the time and there is no record of them ever meeting  ::) etc...).

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2009, 08:47:15 am »
Since we were discussing LOTR.

Link to source

Dear MR BAGGINS, Fellow Conspirator,

I am Thorin Oakenshield, descendant of Thrain the Old and grandson of Thror who was King under the Mountain. I am writing you to discuss our plans, our ways, means, policy and devices for rescuing our treasure from the dragon Smaug.

During the reign of Thror our kingdom was a prosperous one. Kings used to send for our smiths, and reward even the least skillful most richly. Fathers would beg us to take their sons as apprentices, and pay us handsomely, especially in food-supplies, which we never bothered to grow or find for ourselves. Altogether those were good days for us, and the poorest of us had money to spend and to lend, and leisure to make beautiful things just for the fun of it, not to speak of the most marvellous and magical toys, the like of which is not to be found in the world now-a-days.

Undoubtedly that was what brought the dragon. Dragons steal gold and jewels from men and elves and dwarves, wherever they can find them; and they guard their plunder as long as they live (which is practically for ever, unless they are killed), and never enjoy a brass ring of it. There was a most specially greedy, strong and wicked worm called Smaug. One day he flew up into the air and came south. The dragon settled on our mountain in a spout of flame and routed out all the halls, and lanes, and tunnels, alleys, cellars, mansions and passages. After there were no dwarves left alive inside the mountain he took all their wealth for himself.

In view of this, I received your contact through a friend and counselor, an ingenious wizard, who noted you as a Burglar who wants a good job, plenty of Excitement and reasonable Reward. And I and my twelve companions have agreed to give you 10% of the total gold and jewels that the dragon Smaug now rests upon if you can join us on our long journey. When you have agreed please tell us the place where you dwell and send one hundred pence so that we might travel to you.

Please hold what I have told you in strict confidence and I look forward to your earliest response.

THORIN OAKENSHIELD

;)
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2009, 09:37:14 am »
Here are some clips from one of my favorite films.  The last one is the surprise ending in case you haven't seen it yet.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLnclSgLYC4&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-waJsBs0eBQ&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmzbosye2-Y[/youtube]

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 12:39:04 am »
Great little sleeper of a movie.  Highly underrated.

That OrangeMan scene definitely fits into the categories here.   Great score too.   I just wish they started the clip as he approaches the house and finds the kids then gets pushed into the pool.  It adds so much more and tells the complete story of the encounter along with the somber ebb and flow of the piece.   

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2009, 09:18:08 am »
I give you the most incredible action sequence ever filmed simply because it is real (as it gets). No CGI, no explosions, no special effects. Just 9 men and 36 beautiful, perfectly matched horses racing chariots (the wrangler on this must have had fits trying to find nine sets of each type of horse coloring that matched each other and were trainable). They built the chariots from Roman blueprints, then they had to learn how to drive them, then they had to learn how to race them, then they had to learn how to crash them without killing anybody. I never get tired of seeing this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbQvpJsTvxU[/youtube]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 10:40:59 am by FCM-Corbomite-XC »

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2009, 10:32:22 am »
Ben Hur and El Cid are two of my Favorites. Right up there with UHF.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2009, 03:37:09 pm »
Please excuse my indulgence here Rondo on your thread, as it isn't a movie at all, But The wife and I recently grabbed the Johnny Carson collection off of Netflix, and have never laughed so hard in our lives.

Right now we are watching Buddy Hacket and Carson doing skits together from the early 60's.

Guys, this was the golden age of comedy right here.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2009, 04:15:31 pm »
"Sis, boom, bah" never fails to illicit a laugh from me...

Offline Voidwar

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2009, 02:35:24 am »
Ben Hur Pwns,  Corbomite Maneuvers FTW !
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
-J.B. Books  www.hotandspicyforums.com

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2009, 04:57:05 pm »
Stephen:  I honestly miss Johnny Carson every time I turn on the TV past 10 p.m.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

• Commodore
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2009, 01:00:40 am »
I give you the most incredible action sequence ever filmed simply because it is real (as it gets). No CGI, no explosions, no special effects. Just 9 men and 36 beautiful, perfectly matched horses racing chariots (the wrangler on this must have had fits trying to find nine sets of each type of horse coloring that matched each other and were trainable). They built the chariots from Roman blueprints, then they had to learn how to drive them, then they had to learn how to race them, then they had to learn how to crash them without killing anybody. I never get tired of seeing this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbQvpJsTvxU[/youtube]

Heh. The good guys never use a whip.

:)

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2009, 11:01:30 pm »
The chariot race in 'Ben Hur' is definitely one of the alltime great Hollywood scenes, but going back to that time, my favorite movie for that era is 'Barrabas', about the criminal who was released in favor of Jesus. The only names I remember are Anthony Quinn as the title character, and Jack Palance as a sadistic gladiator. According to the movie, Barrabas was the Biblical version of Rambo. ;) 

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2009, 01:29:05 am »
Actually, someone DID die in the Ben Hur racing scene.  I believe they even included the cut with permissions from the family (and also a nice chunk of change to the family) as they felt it added the realism of the danger of the chariot race.  The death WAS unintentional.  The guy literally got run over by the chariots and it was a terrible thing to happen on that set.  If what I've heard is correct.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2009, 10:55:00 pm »
Actually, someone DID die in the Ben Hur racing scene.  I believe they even included the cut with permissions from the family (and also a nice chunk of change to the family) as they felt it added the realism of the danger of the chariot race.  The death WAS unintentional.  The guy literally got run over by the chariots and it was a terrible thing to happen on that set.  If what I've heard is correct.

That rumor has been debunked. No one died during the 1959 version, but a few people were hurt. A stuntman did die during the 1920 silent version when the wheel fell of his chariot and he flew into a pile of lumber.

• Commodore
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2009, 12:01:33 am »
Well nothing came to top that until this...  again a great music score combined with action and heroic actions.  This is the best I can get from the net but it is somewhat cut at key places.  When I saw this movie in the theaters a number of people literally lepted off their feet cheering as Maximus took the spear and challenged the chariot from behind.  The music score is Hans Zimmer adaptation (in the beginning) of Gustav Holts "Planets - Mars (god of War)"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dck5nZrUoZQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Here's Holts original version ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NeQ1h6lzLI[/youtube]

The first battle in Gladiator also uses this music and it's alos a griveting scene.

To me the theme of courage in leadership, which plays back and forth in Gladiator, is expressed near perfectly in the two battles, but moreso in the gladiator scene where the confused gladiators are fused together into a small, but deadly fighting force.   I apologize for the bad cut on Gladiator... lots is missing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:44:44 am by _Rondo_GE The OutLaw »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2009, 09:23:37 am »
Sorry, I can't agree on Gladiator. It was poorly shot in places (medium shots when long shots were called for, out of focus backgrounds, lack of epic feel except in a few places) and Joaquin Phoenix just sucked IMO.

"The Fall of the Roman Empire" (Alec Guinness, Stephen Boyd, Christopher Plummer, James Mason and Sophia Loren) tells the same story, but better shot. Every shot in that movie is just a work of art. Martin Scorsese agrees with me.

• Commodore
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2009, 02:08:05 am »
Sorry, I can't agree on Gladiator. It was poorly shot in places (medium shots when long shots were called for, out of focus backgrounds, lack of epic feel except in a few places) and Joaquin Phoenix just sucked IMO.

"The Fall of the Roman Empire" (Alec Guinness, Stephen Boyd, Christopher Plummer, James Mason and Sophia Loren) tells the same story, but better shot. Every shot in that movie is just a work of art. Martin Scorsese agrees with me.

You can get the whole movies here I think.  I havent tried it.

http://www.filestube.com/fdbba100ea07558603ea,g/The-Fall-of-the-Roman-Empire-1964.html

I suppose if thats all I was looking for was photography you might be right.  It was shot in Ultra Panavision 70 which has a wide epic quality to it than normal films.   I looked through some of the you tubes on the movies and generally would agree in that area...plus the snippet I presented here on Gladiator doesn't do the scene justice.  The Fall of the Roman Empire was definitely a source work for Gladiator among a number of other influences.  I too was not totally taken by Phoenix's performance but he didnt ruin the movie for me at all.  On the other hand Stephen Boyds wooden perormance in The Fall of the Roman Empire is generally considered one of the big reasons the film was a financial flop.   To me Fall seems preachy and is just too "Hollywood" with all those big stars, including an all too melodramatic Sophia Loren, at the height of her career no less.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2009, 10:33:37 am »
Yeah, Sophia was as bad as Joaquin!  ;) I liked everyone else in it though and thought it didn't do well because people were tired of three hour sword and sandal movies by then. I mean after Cleopatra who would want to sit through another one?