Topic: TOS Excelsior  (Read 47112 times)

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
Re: TOS Excelsior
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2009, 02:24:32 am »
Very nice mate, quick too  ;)

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2009, 07:31:33 pm »
thnx mate, but she's in your hands(as in who ever wants to mess with her) It was just my contribution to the thread

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2009, 07:35:28 pm »
Hmmmm got some real quiet place you guys got here
 :buck2:

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2009, 09:05:59 am »
For those interested over at BC someone has done a JJ Abrams inspired Excel.....

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Baz1701_JJ_Excelsior;104107

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2009, 11:17:12 am »
D00d, you need to visit Photobucket so we can see your sig pic.  ;)

Btw, glad to see you trickling back in.. you were missed.  :D
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Anthony Scott

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Off chasing a lunatic 8 year old :D:P
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2009, 03:33:58 pm »

Oh my! This is absolutely lovely! OMG WOW!

I like this one more than any other in this thread. It captures the style and flavor of the J.J. Abrams Trek perfectly! Keep going with this design, that's my vote!
"No enemy can ever completely defeat you. A physical enemy can take your land, your gold, your property. But in order to be defeated uttelry only you can allow that. The human heart can only be crushed from within, not without."- The Dalai Lama

My art blog:
http://anthdigiart.blogspot.com/
My Deviant Art page:
http://anthsco.deviantart.com/
Resident forum history junkie.

"An intelligent man must sometimes get drunk to spend time with fools."
                      -Ernest Hemingway

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2009, 12:02:03 pm »
LOL...we are not doing a JJ version of the excelsior, its a TOS type :)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2009, 12:31:04 pm »

Then do one better than I Mudd's Helena. That ship is is faster than any in this thread cept for the JJ Abrams style. TOS ships WOULDA SHOULDA COULDA looked like that, cept techno back then 35 years ago was sloppy. The entire TOS style needs be scrapped and we should go with a JJ Abrams style reinvisioning. It's simply better, faster, stronger. That is all.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2009, 01:33:32 pm »
I respectfully disagree. I think the TOS models are outdated and antique. JJ Abrams reinvisioning breathes new life into a boring and outmoded design. It's like comparing WW1 fighter planes to those of WW2. While the WW1 ftrs are still interesting and nostalgic and stuff, the WW2 ftrs best them in every way. It's like going from a square wheel to a round one.

Dunno why anyone would want to mess with TOS plain jane models anymore when the JJ Abrams reinvisioning is so asthetically pleasing. It's a breath of fresh air that will keep us going. TOS is dried up, been there done that. Let's move on please.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2009, 01:47:01 pm »

Then do one better than I Mudd's Helena.

He did make a model.

I respectfully disagree. I think the TOS models are outdated and antique. JJ Abrams reinvisioning breathes new life into a boring and outmoded design. It's like comparing WW1 fighter planes to those of WW2. While the WW1 ftrs are still interesting and nostalgic and stuff, the WW2 ftrs best them in every way. It's like going from a square wheel to a round one.

Dunno why anyone would want to mess with TOS plain jane models anymore when the JJ Abrams reinvisioning is so asthetically pleasing. It's a breath of fresh air that will keep us going. TOS is dried up, been there done that. Let's move on please.

I respectfully disagree with you, Dizzy. TOS Might look outdated, and outmoded. And to a degree: it is. I think for many people it is indeed a sense of nostalgia that keeps it very much alive. For others, like myself, It actually is because we find them aesthetically pleasing despite their age. Clean, unbroken surfaces, Bussards that are magnets for the eyes, Deflectors that are obvious in their nature (parabolic? Genius!). I do see where you are coming from, though.

I don't think JJ abrams is a good replacement. I like the Abrams Style, but not as a direct replacement for TOS. Its a seperate beast. I don't think TOS is dried up. In fact: I for one like where I took it, but I'm pretty biased.

Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2009, 01:57:13 pm »

I don't know, I'd say I disagree with your disagreement.  ;)

There are also reasons why people go to antique car shows and rebuild old cars.. they like the styling and the look.  TOS styling may be old, but it's simple and not all iPod.  Think about the differences on the Apple line for instance.. Steve Jobs helped design the look of the original Apple ][ and Macintosh computers, and moved on to the current Mac lines.  But there are still people that like and use and rebuild the old Macs.  And the WWI planes were awesome, you don't see many biplanes in the sequel.. :D

A '57 Chevy will always have that classic look, and I think TOS has the same appeal personally.  People buy PT Cruisers, but it's not a '48 Chev panel truck.  People buy new Ford Thunderbirds, but it's not a '58 T-Bird.  I personally am of the opinion that the Abrahmiverse look is PT Cruisering the TOS look, and if it's your thing, more power to you.  But not everyone likes the new look, and the last I looked, the thread was talking about updating the TOS Excelsior of Chris'.

I *think* that someone, (even I could do it I suppose), should start a thread requesting an Abrham's styled Excelsior.. so we're not beating up on anyone wanting the TOS styling.

Not trying to honk anyone off here, just more trying to get the thread back on topic (weird enough for me that that is).  ;)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2009, 08:03:03 pm »
Well, to a point, I do love TOS. I had a mod on a server once where all my fed models were TOS all the way thru the X era. But with a new style and a different timeline and a license to throw away everything in TOS as it stood for something new and fresh, why not take the leap?

I'd love to see a JJ Abrams style fleet. Course I'd not get rid of my TOS models either.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2009, 03:47:10 am »
I love TOS as well. When I saw "Through a Mirror..." I was jubilated to say the least how, great a modern SFX rendition of a connie looked on screen.

As for a TOS Excelsior........ there is a TOS one. She's a Connie

NCC - 1718   U.S.S. Excelsior <"Court Martial," "The Sleeping God">

SO lineage wise she's already of the same track as the Enterprise......

TOS - Ent & Excel = Connies
TMP - Ent (refit) later Ent & Excel = Excelsior Class and B refit
LOST Era - Ent = Ambassador Class, Excel =  ?
TNG - Ent = GalaxyClass later Sovie Class   Excel = ?

Why not focus on what comes next ? Just a thought

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline KBF_Gow

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2009, 04:16:52 am »

I have never flown Fed, but, I have more TOS styled and inspired Federation ships on my HD than any other type.  Aesthetically, they are the vessels I prefer, much more than shiny pointy glowie wowowow TNG or even TMP styles.

I prefer the TOS style done on conjectural classes and variants never seen in any movie.  I love the little TOS style jewels I find, police cutters and frigates particularly.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2009, 06:28:57 pm »
Well My TOS Ship is there for the texturing, if you want it,
I also have a crap load of unfinished projects ranging from Feds(experimental)  to my fav the Roms :)

Offline KBF_Gow

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2009, 01:16:04 am »
I was thinking that the lineage for TOS would be more Belknap to Excelsior type than Connie to Excel.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2009, 06:16:15 am »
That makes interesting logic.  Though I believe the the USS Excelsior to be a Connie, the ship I posted is supposed to be the Space-frame that would lead to the "Great Experiment".