Topic: My models  (Read 11252 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: My models
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 04:25:17 pm »
If I may interject here also.

Do you have Frey's permission to sell here? He is a very big stickler for that kind of thing.

Can you please PM me, or post here so we know. If you don't , then I'll have to put this thread away for admin review.

Thanks William Riker.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 04:28:17 pm »
From the forum rules: 8.

No advertisements. Feel free to share personal accomplishments, however, people come
here to converse, not to wade through product endorsements.  Along with no advertisements,
no money or fund raising is permitted on this site.

This is advertising models for sale.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 04:39:19 pm »
From the forum rules: 8.

No advertisements. Feel free to share personal accomplishments, however, people come
here to converse, not to wade through product endorsements.  Along with no advertisements,

This is advertising models for sale.

This is PROBABLY advertising - but he may be offering his talents to better the community, too - we don't know - which is why I asked...

It's in the moderators hands, now - let's sit back and let them do their job
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 09:25:37 pm »
Ok guys, after talking it over with the admins and the Moderators, We believe this was all in innocence here. 

Our reasoning is thus, He didn't come out and say hey look at my stuff, and pay me money. It is in fact an innocuous sig. link, similiar to others we have seen. What we will do, Is ask him to review the rules on advertising. 

Being as how other sites do allow the selling of models, We believe he just wasn't aware that we frowned on it as a whole, OR that it was never his intention to sell his work here on our site.

We believe it better to take this time to point out the above rule regarding advertising, and thus keep everyone in good spirits here.

We believe that intent matters, and it was not his intent to offend or sell his product at this time, It was just a mistake.

For Review, here is the rule that is in question...

8. No advertisements. Feel free to share personal accomplishments, however, people come

Since his sig link was unintentional (we believe) to be selling a product, there is no harm no foul.

More information may come after the boss man himself get's back to us. (Frey's a busy man these days.)

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 10:11:27 pm »
This guy is selling them! He PM'd me just a few ago! I bought one of his ships... pretty lil thing, but it's a SCAM! Damned thing wont even do warp speed. Freaking broken ship. I got ripped!

Dont buy from this guy!!!  :D

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 10:19:52 pm »
LMAO!
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2009, 01:26:29 am »
So that's how Denny hecker is trying to save himself..cash for clunkers! :laugh:

Seriously riker..if you do requests I might have something you like. Give me a yell.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2009, 11:35:17 am »
Hey Will, I've caught this similar thread over at DRS, and I replied there, but I ask you here, If you are selling meshes that are based on another person's work, you are going to need permission, as I and Raven, and others are not seeing a dime or even been asked as to if we would mind if you could sell them.  So let us know what you are doing, and how we can rectify this situation :)

Offline William_Riker

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • BUY MY STUFF
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 05:58:28 pm »
I WAS waiting for the release of either the Fan based SFC4 or the Q3 file unpacker "by Marstone" to release my model for the Starfleet Command community for free, but seeing everybody around here keeps moaning about-it i'm releasing 23 of my models.

Most of the models where made back in 2006-2007
since then i have improved my modeling and texturing skills
some like the "Korolev Yacht" are probably older,
also i don't think all the models are resized for the game

I only ask that you don't post the files elsewhere.

Link to follow ...

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 09:13:54 pm »
Riker, I'm not sure if you are understanding why so many of us are irked.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 11:16:05 pm »
Its up to Atolm and Raven to decide how they feel about it - i won't take umbrage for them, only from where I stand. I never try to burn a bridge, and try to make it so its easier to prevent a bridge being burned at all.
Robinomicon

Offline William_Riker

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • BUY MY STUFF
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 11:23:50 pm »
This really wasn't the reaction i was expecting from the community
I really thought the Star trek and starfleet command community would like to see my model.

I wasn't thinking of selling anything when i made them
All the star trek models i made where for my own personal use in starfleet command, after i stopped playing SFC i

thought, instead of forgetting about them in my hardrive, i will put then up for sale, since i had spent so much

time making them.
I'm new to this business, and didn't even thing of intellectual property or copyright laws.

I was about to put up 12 new star trek model up for sale, but that idea is out the window
and i have removed all star trek ships from turbosquid, (still removing then from the3dstudio).

All this as really put me off from modeling
Turbosquid gets 60% cut plus taxes withheld on a model priced 10 bucks
and now all this...
Star trek models where the majority of my model for sale (around 57 models) and i only sold about 3
its not worth the time and i don't really need it
this is just to pay for my warhammer 40k minis

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 11:32:43 pm »
Will,

I'm following you. The problem was that we weren't sure of your intentions. As I said on my first post I said if you were here to contribute to the community, then awesome! I welcome you with open arms, welcome to the group. There was just some ambiguity regarding as to where you were going - if you were here to try and sell stuff? I would've had a problem with it. Now that you've clarified what your intentions are - I'm cool with you.
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 08:35:42 pm »

Star trek models where the majority of my model for sale (around 57 models) and i only sold about 3
its not worth the time and i don't really need it
this is just to pay for my warhammer 40k minis

If that's the case, do your ship models for free, and you've instantly solved the problem. You can still charge fees on your other items. Phasers, pads ect, heck, perhaps you should talk to the guys at hidden frontier and such..some of the fan films use CGI Interiors, maybe (and I don't speak for them) but maybe they'd be willing to pay a nominal fee for such things..after all, a real set would require payment of somekind too, for materials.

As far as it not being worth your time..well..you are plenty good enough to get alot of people interested. And you can probably get alot better by getting tips from Raven, Tus, and don't forget there's a few more really high end meshers over at bridge commander who generaly help coach or give tips. That should be good enough for anyone.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 10:13:01 pm »
To boil down a much long reply I started writing here -

Riker,
Why not place of few of these models on one of the free sites like Battlecinic and see what kind of reaction you get?
Everyone seems complimentary about the models...

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 11:13:15 am »
The choice of model subjects interests me as they all appear in the various literature and fannon schematics that most of us wish somebody would model for the SFC games.... instead of yet another BOP (yawn).

The USS Iron Duke caught my eye as did the USS Ajax plus both the early tugs.

I particularilily liked the 3D model of Rick Steinbeck's 1979 Space Flight Chronology take on the UNSS Bonadveture. Will we be seeing the UNSS Verne, UNSS Polux and NCC-01 Horizon??

Amazing quality of work there.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline William_Riker

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • BUY MY STUFF
some of the models
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 04:33:21 pm »
Lets be clear i never claimed that all my model where of my design, for example i have posted some previews on DRS's forum to show Atolm what i had done with is concepts

Here are some of the models

http://rapidshare.com/files/297004419/Models.rar

they are not 100% ready for SFC, include are textures and .mod file, textures where reduced

by 50%, some ships have the BS, TI and VL preview files included.
i will eventualy release more models including some not shown here (100% ready to play) and

full resolution textures.

P.s.
Rar files is password protected
Pass is: Dynaverse
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:03:56 pm by William_Riker »

Offline Shadowfleet

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Imagination - the best renewable energy source.
    • Shadows Wars
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 09:56:30 pm »
Excellent job WR! You've got serious talent.  Your high quality textures combined wiht well made low poly meshes equals some truly outstanding work! Thanks for sharing with us. The Ferengi and Fed fighters are my favorites in this batch.

I can't wait for the rest of your releases, especially your Ferengi cruiser - if you need help with additional conversions just give me a holler and I'll be on them like a chicken on a June Bug. :D

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 10:33:53 pm »
Riker, Since you seem to be comitted to free participation at this point...I'm going to ask if you are interested in allowing your models to be converted to bridge commander. 

Offline William_Riker

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • BUY MY STUFF
Convert away
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 11:14:51 am »
Convert all you want