Topic: Where can I download a good free registry repair?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Where can I download a good free registry repair?
« on: October 23, 2009, 08:41:32 pm »
I have been trying others out all they is just scan as they claim they are free.I have been looking around for something to dl as that is 1 of 2 way to install software on my other comp.What would you all recommend as repair or cleaner.I did have 2 trogans on this older comp.

I would go out and buy $20 one but I have no way to install it all my drives don't work.This is a result of the trogans.What do you suggest?Thanks

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
Re: Where can I download a good free registry repair?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 10:50:31 pm »
First thing... get a Linux LiveCD like SimplyMEPIS that has unionfs support and boot off it, it'll let you access your Windows install outside of Windows.

Secondly, boot into the LiveCD and access the internet, go to Google and search for Trend Housecall.  Run their free online scan, it should hopefully work through Firefox and let you do a quick clean of the hard drive.  (Enough to access the internet from Windows.)

Next, download Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner and Dial-a-fix and burn them off onto a CD inside SimplyMEPIS.  Reboot into Windows Safe Mode with Networking (from the F8 option on reboot before the Windows logo).

Run the setups for Malwarebytes and Spybot first, install them and run them.  Reboot after each back into Safe Mode with networking.  After those are done, reboot into Normal mode and run Dial-a-fix and then CCleaner.  Reboot after each.. and finally go back online in Windows and go back to Trend Housecall and run another scan from there.

That should get a lot of it patched back up for you.  :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 05:58:37 pm »
I can not boot off of my cd as windows doesn't want to install software to help fix this problem.My D and A drive both don't want load up any software.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 09:58:51 pm »
I can not boot off of my cd as windows doesn't want to install software to help fix this problem.My D and A drive both don't want load up any software.

I think he means, if you change your startup in the BIOS to boot from CD first, it will pass the windows crap and load the linux cd into memory and you will have a system that runs.  So you can get on the net to download software to help.

The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 01:03:01 am »
I think he means, if you change your startup in the BIOS to boot from CD first, it will pass the windows crap and load the linux cd into memory and you will have a system that runs.  So you can get on the net to download software to help.

Sorry, should have clarified that.. yes, that's part of what I meant.  Booting off CD, or booting off USB will bypass the Windows virus issues and allow you to clean your system, and if you configure your BIOS to chose those before your hard drive, you'll be good to go there.

Another simple option would be to pick up an external drive enclosure that would fit your hard drive, and then pick up a new blank hard drive.  Take your system's infected drive out and put it into the enclosure, and then install the new drive in the PC.  Install a clean copy of Windows on it, install a good anti-virus, and then plug in your drive enclosure with the infected drive in it and start scanning.  It'll clean your Windows install, and when it's clean (run the AV a couple of times to be sure, and if you throw in an online scanner like Trend to be sure, that'll only help), then shut down the system, and swap the drives back.  Your old Windows install will then come up, and it should be clean.  At that point, update your antivirus and get a good anti-malware program in there like Malwarebytes.  :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:34:12 pm »
Where is the best place to dl linux if I go this route?I have dled it but it looks like program pad.