Topic: What's the word on SFC2:OP working with windows 7?  (Read 6757 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
What's the word on SFC2:OP working with windows 7?
« on: October 31, 2009, 01:43:39 pm »
Does the xp emulation thing work?

I have a dual boot set up on both PC's but I was curious as to what the word was, before I installed again on "7"

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
Re: What's the word on SFC2:OP working with windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 01:59:51 pm »
DH said you still need to duel boot... :-[

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 04:26:27 pm »
Roger that, oh well, It's no big deal. Was just curious.

Had a hell of a time getting past a code 5 error installing one pc. Why I always do a dual boot when I can.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 06:14:23 pm »
OP will run, just can't play Dynaverse.   If you're into IP/GSA or single player you'll be fine.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 06:17:22 pm »
Dyna is the light and the way! (despite it's huge flaws).  I have played the whole GSA thing, but my life was on the dyna!  Oh, the horror.   I don't have any XP machines.  I'll have to see if I can get a win2k machine running for some D2 goodness.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 07:20:15 pm »
XP emulation does not give enough resources to even launch the game.. I tested every config - FAIL.

I have tested Windows 7 in every configuration - Fail on D2.

TCP/IP and GSA are the only Multiplayer modes SFC OP will work correctly. (single player works fine as well)

D2 will load up and you can connect to server.. what is game breaking is the updating of the D2 map when someone finishes a mission.. delay time for update is up to 2 min and no response from the server or your client to move to a different hex.. thus causing Player Mission matching to crash the client / server since a player on Windows 7 can't update properly.

Sorry folks, even though a ticket is in with MS, the problem may not get resolved, so Dual booting your system with XP or 2K or 98 SE or even ME will have to suffice as the only workable solution to new prebuilt systems or any system running Vista / Windows 7.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 09:38:22 pm by Cptn_Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 07:44:11 pm »
Wait, Windows 7 will allow me to play TCP & multiplayer on GSA?

Sweet.... how much is this going to set me back...
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 07:58:02 pm »
Wait, Windows 7 will allow me to play TCP & multiplayer on GSA?

Sweet....

Pretty much the same as vista in that regard.

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 10:12:23 pm »
Um... ok, how?

I have not been able to get it going yet.

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 11:12:30 pm »

D2 will load up and you can connect to server.. what is game breaking is the updating of the D2 map when someone finishes a mission.. delay time for update is up to 2 min and no response from the server or your client to move to a different hex.. thus causing Player Mission matching to crash the client / server since a player on Windows 7 can't update properly.

Wait a minute -  only 2 minutes?  does it EVENTUALLY load?   If that the case you might not be able to play on a REAL D2 server but you won't be left out of our-turn based game if you're into PvP.   Will it report the results of a battle and let you move after about 5 minutes?

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 08:35:51 am »
Seems to be a verizon wireless issue, everything else seems to be good...

Will be heading to verizon to check it out later today.

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 09:12:36 am »
*waits for news of an explosion at Verizon*
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 04:35:09 pm »

Wait a minute -  only 2 minutes?  does it EVENTUALLY load?   If that the case you might not be able to play on a REAL D2 server but you won't be left out of our-turn based game if you're into PvP.   Will it report the results of a battle and let you move after about 5 minutes?

Yes.. once you get the game to connect to the D2.. game works normally Except the game map when it updates.. as such, it takes up to 2 min for the Windows 7 client to update the map, then the character can move locations or use the loadout options or shipyard.. the problem is that it does this with every map update.. as such.. when the map updates, and you can move, you may be stuck another 2 min before you move again if someone came out of mission before or during your move.

for real  time D2 game play, it is a breaker.. if you are using turnbased movement, it is possible to still use the Windows 7 /  Vista clients.

In order to connect you have to set the game to Administrator mode and XPSp 3 compatibility, launch game and attempt to connect to Dynaverse.. First attempt will give firewall message.. Alt-F4 out and immediately re-launch the game and then connect to the dynaverse, you will then connect to the directory servers and as such you can log into a D2 server.

You can then move about freely for 3 or 4 hexes and even upgrade ship or load out and even go on a mission before the map updates start lagging out the Vista / Windows 7 client.

So Yes it is possible to use Windows 7 / Vista for a turn based movement system, just not real time D2 Flip the Hex battles.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 05:00:15 pm »
So as long a peeps can get the game to work and connect, we can assign them ships via the OCI, even move them to the location of the battle, have them sign in, get drafted, and they can still participate in this turn-based war if they want?

Can you meet us on Dnet TS later?