Topic: Best purge gas for FT-IR?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Best purge gas for FT-IR?
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:25:34 pm »
I've got a pretty good Nicolet instrument with relatively infrequent usage, currently only using dessicant but it has the plumbing for purge gas. I found an old Balston IR purge gas generator and also have access to ss plumbed uhp nitrogen. Or since it's infrequent use would it be best to skip the plumbing and just wheel in a cylinder of zero air or uhp nitrogen as needed? The main uses are with an ATR accessory, but I've got boatloads of salt plates and cells, so could benefit from sample chamber purge occasionally as well. Any thoughts? Cheapest? Best? Fastest? No difference?

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Best purge gas for FT-IR?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:33:40 pm »
Well, the one + for using the Balston, would be low pressure use in whatever you are doing.

That's about all I can tell ya. Haven't had to purge gasses in about 20 years. Even then, that was back messing with Platinum samples amongst other things.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 05:37:04 pm »
That's true, it is purpose built and copper will do for the plumbing. Mind you, I haven't even tried to fire up the Balston yet, lol. I guess I'll just have to give it a try.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:43:28 pm »
Yep, used to have a lot of fun way back when.

Worked at allied Signal as a lab tech, while going through some college. Was way out near the port oF Catoosa, which is the most inland sea port in America. Right smack dab in Oklahoma, go figure.

anyways, we would take core samples out of Catalytic converters and run them through the spectrometer to get the various ratios taht Ford, GM, etc. would want.

PRobably 1 out of every 500 that came down the assembly line.

Anyways, we had fun with it. Found out the chemical composition of a barbie doll, Dog Poo, a three day old Peanut butter sandwhich.

Good times man, Good times. I miss playing with Plasma.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 05:55:34 pm »
Platinum by ICP? 20 years ago? (oh wait... yeah 20 years ago... lol!) I would have expected graphite furnace AA - cheaper and more sensitive. But I suppose you were looking for more than just the platinum in the catalytic converters, ICP would be better.

You read the latest on the plasma engines for spaceflight? Astra or some such... ah here:

http://www.adastrarocket.com/VASIMR.html

8)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:09:20 pm by Bonk »

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 06:52:49 am »
Oh now that is pretty cool.

Oh yeah, we where looking for more then Platinum. It was just every car had a different ratio of Platinum to other elements for the core samples we took.

I think that job was the start of many allergies for me also, as I slowly got one to Platinum, then to gold, I can barely wear silver.

Stephen