Topic: Rocky Marciano Marathon  (Read 1807 times)

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
Rocky Marciano Marathon
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:47:44 am »
Wow, watching a Rocky Marciano marathon.  What a fighter.  He was just a nonstop machine never gave a guy a rest.  You always felt he always knew exactly what he wanted to do.

He wasn't really slow... not in his punching.  His hands were very quick.  His feet were slow. He shuffled around and sometimes teetered awkwardly always flat footed.  He had a slight bob and weave movement from a crouch and would crowd all his opponents from the outset of every round.

Probably the last HW Champ that almost never used the jab.  It was a useless punch to him he only had a 67 inch reach.  To understand what a handicap that is Sugar Ray Leaonard (a welterweight in his prime) had a 73 inch reach and Muhammid Ali had a 80 inch reach.  Joe Frazier, considered a short armed fighter, had a 75 inch reach.

He's not the greatest fighter that ever laced on the gloves but he whooped everone who was anyone back then. 

Contrary to what some say Sonny Liston was not a real contender during the time Rocky was champ... when Rocky retired at age 33 Liston hasd barely a dozen fights and was just considered a rather unknown "prospect".  So he never dodged anybody.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:19:42 pm by _Rondo_GE The OutLaw »

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Rocky Marciano Marathon
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 11:21:10 am »
What channel? I want to see if they replay it man.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:32:37 pm »
What channel? I want to see if they replay it man.

Stephen

Numbers won't mean anything.  It's called ECL...  limmee google this up... hmmm

ECL=ESPN Classic Sports...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/classic/news/story?id=2449294

Its hard to find a TV guide listing on the net but if you have ESPN then there's a good bet you might be able to hunt it down.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 02:25:47 pm »
I can do, and if I watch ESPN that is the one I do watch. Mostly for old Burt and his boxing stories.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War