Topic: The Forge - Home Fires II/III/IV  (Read 74126 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
The Forge - Home Fires II/III/IV
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:41:55 pm »
... with gravy:

OCI

mmm, gravy.  ;D

Downloads are in the usual locations: FireSoul's OP  4.1 and The Forge Scripts .

The clock starts in 2273, runs six days per game year, with 5 minute turns.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:47:54 am by Bonk XC »

Offline KBF Soth

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: The Forge - Home Fires II
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:57:40 pm »
Cool Bonk thx
I grant you your soul,but not your life.
Be happy that I have found a measure of mercy.

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:05:08 pm »
!!!!!

Eh?

New forge with OCI?

WOOTAGE!

Offline KBF Soth

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 02:09:01 am »
Played for a bit tonight ,also toyed with oci  noticed that you can race transfere  to enemy  or allied.
I grant you your soul,but not your life.
Be happy that I have found a measure of mercy.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 09:16:01 am »
Played for a bit? 32 missions to every body else's 1 or 2! ;)

I think I had the player transfers enabled to any race last time too. For a long run (six month this time) I think it makes sense to allow for balance and the best experience. I don't think we really need to worry about Rotting-Fur as the battle log would make it plainly obvious, with easy correction.

But if player demand is to restrict it to allies, then it can be easily done. (It's a setting)

P.S. what's really cool is that this time I'm running the forge serverkit as a windows service for the first time. It seems to be working fine so far. uber-loki is doing all of this with nobody logged in. Soon, I will teach it to dispense beer in Frey's office... then the world, muahahah!  ;D

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 04:29:45 pm »
I've set the webmap portion of the oci to ask for Chrome Frame in IE. I can't seem to get it to prompt for an install. (perhaps because I have installed it once already?).

I'm Curious to see if IE users are prompted to install Chrome Frame on the webmap portion of the oci?

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 04:59:51 pm »
I'm Curious to see if IE users are prompted to install Chrome Frame on the webmap portion of the oci?

Just tried and on IE7 WinXP I didnt get any prompt for Chrome Frame, map loaded very quickly for me as well btw (within 3 seconds, I wasnt timing very hard, but thought you'd might find that useful)
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 06:07:52 pm »
Just fixed it. Should popup now. Not settled for sure on how to implement this or if I want to stick with it. Need to do it less obtrusively if I stick with it I think.

Offline Farfarer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 04:45:48 pm »
Do you have link to the proper shiplist and ftrlist?  Changed machines, sorted routers, ports, DLs, but this one thing remains. Thanks.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 09:59:23 pm »
Downloads are in the usual locations: FireSoul's OP+ 4.0 and The Forge Scripts .

These should work...

Offline Farfarer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 08:16:45 am »
Even though I had done that already, I did it all again from scratch ( install, patch, OP4, Forge Scripts) and it worked  :)
Ran a few missions. Good fun - nostalgic even.
Strangely though, while I can get Music, I canot get weapons/alerts/explosion sounds.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 09:20:23 am »
Cool. I was wondering if it would still be running. I have that server running as a windows service and haven't checked on it since launch, almost a month ago! 8)

Glad you got on OK. Not sure about the sounds... which OS?

Offline Farfarer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 07:32:47 pm »
XP. and thanks.

Offline lucky

• Ensign
  • Hope Endures
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 04:26:41 pm »
Hey Bonk,

A little help here. I am ghosted on the Forge. I guess Windows Vista will make it very difficult to play on D2.
Thought I'd try my hand at SFC again for a bit this weekend, so tried it today. The server connection was laggy most of the time - I guess not surprising since I'm on Win Vista - and it ended in the ghosting.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 06:13:25 pm »
Have you tried rebooting completely? If that does not do it then I will reboot the server.

Offline lucky

• Ensign
  • Hope Endures
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 07:14:37 am »
Ok, tried that. It didn't work.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 08:25:08 am »
As an experiment to avoid rebooting a server that has run continuously since launch, I edited your preparedmissions entry and character flags in the live database without rebooting the server. I think you should be able to login now.

If you are playing from a Vista install then when the map or missions button lag, wait until they update before logging or alting out if at all possible to avoid ghosting.

Offline lucky

• Ensign
  • Hope Endures
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 11:30:38 am »
Here's the feedback: I get all the messages all the way to "Initializing Security" and "Logging onto Server", but the countdown reaches zero and ends with something like "an unknown error" or something. Tried a few times with the same result. Some of the times when the countdown reaches zero, SFC OP also crashes a few seconds later.

However since it seems I'll not be able to play successfully anyway, you don't have to reset the server. (I hope people don't face problems drafting missions in the hex I was last in, due to my ghosted ship).

By the way, the server setup is really nice and fun, good size of map and easy to buy ships. Appreciate the effort you put in.

Offline Bartok

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 10:01:46 pm »
Ok - I'm cross-posting - Is the Forge down? -

in the "not seing any servers" thread I posted there.  I just looked at the OCI linked below and it's the correct map.  I navigated to an old forge webmap from a defunct shortcut I still have in the corner of my desktop...  :)  think it's been there a long time....

All that being said I still don't see the Forge OR Strayy's Tavern or anything when I try to connect?  Maybe she just needs a reboot?

Offline Doctor Lazarus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • By Grabthar's Hammer!
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 04:18:17 pm »
I tried twice today and saw no servers on the list. Refreshing the list didn't produce any results.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 05:00:52 pm »
I shall take a look. Sorry for the delay.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 05:53:09 pm »
It is listening again. There were no other servers up.

It was weird, I say "listening" because it seems it had grown deaf on the usual central switch port of 27100, but seems to be not so deaf on port 28100. It took a number of trials to determine this. (restarting all the services, testing a server at home on 27100 - fine). Anyway it seems to be working now. I'll have to check with Frey to see if anything has changed on the network.

Let me know if you still have troubles connecting. Again, apologies for the delay.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 08:56:39 am »
I just gave it a shot and no joy. No servers listed and refreshing was a bust as well.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 01:23:10 pm »
Crap... I'll reboot in XP and check. If it is now deaf on port 28100 I will move it to canada-east.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 02:20:26 pm »
Moved temporarily to Canada East while I try and figure out what happened on uber-loki. :huh: (OCI moved temporarily as well)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:02:21 am by Bonk »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 05:27:30 pm »
Now it does not appear on the list while running on Canada East. So it is not TheForge, but the directory server somehow. It was fine for ages... I wonder what changed yesterday?

It appears on the list after startup, but gets dropped at at some point for some reason... sigh, I may have to run a packet sniffer to find out what is going on... but if the firewall is dropping packets intended for the directory server I will not see them... I suppose that in itself would be a diagnosis. If I do not see packets arriving from the dyna server to the directory server on schedule then I know the firewall or something else is doing it.

Is the SFC3 serverlist showing any servers? Or has it fallen victim to this issue as well?

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 05:41:11 pm »
two reports in dyna 3 saying no servers being displayed.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 09:51:51 am »
Aw, frickin, frackin, %#*)W@%!! I hate mysterious and unexplained change!

It can't be running them as services that is the issue, they have been fine for months like that... I'll get in there and look for changes that may have happened on Friday. I hope it was not a windows update. That would suck. I'm hoping that some firmware on the network got updated and some settings missed or something like that...

Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out. I had ice coin plans for today...  >:(

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 10:03:25 am »
Something occurs to me... is SFC still supported by gamespy arcade? The directory servers depend on it too. I hope this is not the day I was afraid of...

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 10:13:08 am »
Something occurs to me... is SFC still supported by gamespy arcade? The directory servers depend on it too. I hope this is not the day I was afraid of...

I signed on today and saw another player in the SFC:OP lobby, so hopefully everything is alright as far as GSA goes. If it still works on GSA, does that mean it isn't an issue with the directory servers (and hopefully a smaller problem)? Appreciate the work Bonk  :).

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2010, 10:32:06 am »
Cool, thanks for checking. Call off the dogs, I've found the problem. Fix underway. I just need to get with Mr Frey and make sure we're on the same page with DNS. ;) (speaking of which I should hop on teamspeak and hangout today so I'm available...)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 10:58:46 am »
The Forge is back up and I see Strayy's Tavern is listed now as well.  :) Let me know here if the list wonks out again.

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 11:17:26 am »
just tried logging on and there is no list

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 11:47:14 am »
Arg! I'll take a look.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:06 am »
I had just tried at 12:54 eastern with no joy as well.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 05:07:44 pm »
Crap, an entire weekend gone and I have not figured out the problem. This is bad.  :(

Offline Bartok

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 08:05:12 pm »
Still no list - tho, I'm sure you'll get it Bonk...

If you had it working earlier today I'm sure it's not that dreaded day when Gamespy goes away..... at least I hope....

Is everyone playing STO now? 

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 11:28:00 pm »
I don't know about STO, but this could be it for the Dynaverse.  :(

I've got three suspicions at the moment
a) something has changed with the monitor and its probes are breaking the list.
b) someone has found an exploit and is vandalising our lists just for fun/revenge.
c) A dynaverse server description is using a character string that is breaking the list.

The timing seems to coincide with monitor probes. The list is good for about ten minutes then goes blank. No word from Frey yet (email and PM sent).

Really I have nothing. I have no idea what broke the serverlists on friday and why they remain broken.  :-[ :( >:(

edit: I have tried a bunch of stuff and I cannot figure it out. My next thought is to restrict the server versions that can connect to a new version and release a new serverkit build version number to match thus eliminating all old server versions... oh  but wait I can only do that for OP and and the rogue server could be EAW or SFC3... if there even is one. Dammit this sucks.

If someone has found an exploit for the directory servers I might be able to fix OP but not EAW or SFC3. (for lack of source)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:55:33 am by Bonk »

Offline Bartok

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 08:53:43 am »
Hey There Bonk....

Wow quite a conundrum.   :o

I'd hate to think option B could be real - vandalising the lists for "fun"  :'(  or revenge  :huh:   Why would someone do such a thing...

a and c both sound like reasonable suspicions, even with my lack of knowledge of the specific tech issues you're dealing with...

That you can get it to work for an interval b4 it "dies" again is telling.  If the interval remains consistent, hmmmm   I wish I could help!

I don't play EAW or SFC3 nemore, forgot that there might have been servers up on their lists.   Restricting the server versions and a new serverkit release sounds cumbersome and as you remark would only (probably) fix the OP issue - though I'd be okay with that:D  that's all i play - but that's selfish thinking on my part....

I hope it's the monitor probes and that Dynaverse isn't dead.....

ThanX for all your hard work!!!

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 09:12:59 am »
I've got three suspicions at the moment
a) something has changed with the monitor and its probes are breaking the list.
b) someone has found an exploit and is vandalising our lists just for fun/revenge.
c) A dynaverse server description is using a character string that is breaking the list.

Scary news ... but for c) does that mean that the in-game descriptions of the servers are messing things up, or am I reading it wrong? If that is the problem, they could just be erased and all the server info (like description and shiplist needed) for EAW, OP, and SFC3 could be kept in a sticky thread.

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 09:31:11 pm »

I hope it's the monitor probes and that Dynaverse isn't dead.....

ThanX for all your hard work!!!

I'll second that ! Can't let Dyna die with a wimper, it's got a few more colossal campaigns left in her.

NO STO here either, unfortunately my ST enthusiasm is on life support for the moment but my OP install is still fully functional so I'm ready to go when I tire of lurking.
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Bartok

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 09:11:35 am »
I took a little time to look at the STO system requirements...

I won't deny I'm intrigued, however, my graphics card and mem are not up to spec to play this game.  I'm on an older system - 7 year old, running WinXP.  I'm not ready mentally or financially to get a new system just to play a single game - even though it does look pretty cool.  Ironically if I DID get a Win7 system I "apparently" wouldn't be able to play OP anymore..... :(

Here's hoping you're right Malak - a few more campaigns/years of Dynaverse would be wonderful!  -- I guess we'll see!

and again - hats off to Bonk and Frey and all you guys running the boxes!!!!!

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 11:05:03 am »
thanks bonk for all your work. I hope you get this  fixed but if not  ill await the sfc4 and hope we can get rid of lamespy completly. Good luck sir and again thanks for the hard work.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2010, 03:08:31 pm »
We can find nothing on our end and will contact Gamespy to see if anything is up over there. Needless to say, I'll keep you posted.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 03:13:09 pm »
Might be worth looking into writing a small app that will emulate a gamespy connection for the server.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2010, 03:50:01 pm »
There's more to it than that. The gamespy master server IPs are hardcoded in the client exe. The (dated) API is used in the serverkits, clients and directory servers (hybridized with the old WON architecture). (oh wait, maybe just the domain is hardcoded in the exe, in which case a hosts file entry could take care of redirection to a gamespy master server simulator - I'll have to look again, just going by browsing the client exe in a hex editor) Ah... but that is just for client login auth... I could modify the serverkit code for OP at least to list on a simluated gamespy master server) No wait... my thinking is fuzzy. If I were to attempt to replace gamespy auth I would have to go over it all in detail to asses feasibilty before even starting.

I have requested a new API from gamespy in the past but got no reply.

I just submitted a support ticket:
I am the webmaster and tech admin for Dynaverse.net. We run the directory servers that use the gamespy API (old - we can't get a new one, I asked and got no reply) for the persistent universe servers for starfleet command. About thursday of last week our lists started going blank. Nothing has changed on our end.

I have spent my entire weekend trying to troubleshoot the issue. I can find nothing. I have been running these servers for years.

So, we are hoiping that something has changed on your end and maybe you could change it back so that a game that has been running online for over 10 years can continue?

Either way, it would be great if you could let us know if anything has changed on your end. (do you normally notify API users of major changes?)

Any help or information you could offer would be greatly appreciated. It would be heartbreaking to have this kill our favourite game after all these years.

Thanks,
Bonk
Dynaverse.net

and noticed these notes after submission:

Thank you for contacting GameSpy Arcade, Arena and Comrade support.

You have chosen the "General" field from our ticket selection. Please note the following:

1. If you are inquiring about obtaining a game key, we do not provide game keys. Please contact the store from which you purchased your game.

2. If you require help logging in to a game and not GameSpy Arcade, Arena or Comrade please contact the support for your game. We support GameSpy Arcade, Arena and Comrade only.

3. If you were instructed that "GameSpy" provides support to your in-game login you were misinformed. "Powered by GameSpy" means your game maker has implemented our technology and any issues with that are handled by the support staff of your specific game.

If your issue does not pertain to GameSpy Arcade, Arena or Comrade products support issues this ticket will be closed.

Thank you !

(Emphasis added)

Dammit! Referred to myself again! I hate that! This is way worse than when google hits on my own content when I'm looking for answers.  >:(

I think we're screwed, since we are not the original API licensee? I wonder if any of the Taldren, Quicksilver, Interplay or Activision people have the Gamespy API license information for the SFC series? Access to the EAW source might be of assistance in this respect. The licensing information may be contained within?

Luigi Auriemma might be an asset in this investigation. I've asked him before for help in reverse engineering the directory servers and gamespy master servers, but the idea did not really fall under his interests at the time. (We have code for the old SFC2 directory servers (WON) but not the latest Gamespy(d) versions.)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:05:41 pm by Bonk »

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2010, 04:05:30 pm »
Now if they hardcoded the address for gamespy (which should be done as a name, not address as it makes more sense to use the Domain Name look-up service then to put a hard address in.  (specially back then)

We might be able to go in with a sector editor and change the name it looks for.  Just use a name of the same length to make sure the look-up table doesn't crash/lock-up/self-destruct/etc.

about a dozen references in different ways to GameSpy.  Might take alittle more work.

Luigi does have some interesting GameSpy stuff on his sight.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2010, 04:12:20 pm »
We might be able to go in with a sector editor and change the name it looks for.  Just use a name of the same length to make sure the look-up table doesn't crash/lock-up/self-destruct/etc.

Now that's a cagey idea. Would probably work if we can successfully simulate the gamespy servers. I think we're jumping the gun a bit here though. Let's wait on a reply and hopefully they'll find something on their end has changed and will be willing to accomodate us. (still an assumption though - I have no idea how to get gamespy API updates/news)

It is still possible that something is happening along the way, or that someone has found an exploit common to both the SFC3 and SFC2 serverlists.... OH sh*t ... wait... I can't post this publicly... oh yes I can... anyone with a brain can figure it out...

I feared this. There are known exploits in old gamespy apis. I might even know exactly which might affect our directory servers. And since our directory servers use the old APIs and we cannot update them... you see what a black hole that is? Well then, if this is actually what is happening, then we'll need to figure out a way to stop the exploit on the wire before it gets to the servers. Read Luigi's old news pages.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2010, 04:25:26 pm »
true, those who know how to do that, don't need someone to point it out to them.

I personally don't think it is someone messing with it, we are just to small a community for that (well, probably we are)  Someone might get a jolly messing with a little group like us, but I think it is more likely a GameSpy issue.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2010, 04:43:12 pm »
downloaded abunch of the gamespy stuff from Luigi's site for offline reading tonight at work if I get tired of working on the MOD conversion.  In the long run, good stuff to know anyway.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2010, 04:47:41 pm »
Figured you might be interested in some of that. I'll have to read over his latest adventures; been quite some time since I last visited.

You're probably right about it not being vandalism, at least I sure hope so.

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2010, 07:27:00 pm »
Interesting. It is not entirely clear whether they intend to open existing GameSpy APIs or release a new "Open" API. I wonder what Luigi will have to say (http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/335)?

However this does indicate that changes are afoot. I'll check the status of the support ticket I submitted... still open, probably still unread.  :(

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2010, 08:18:31 am »
Hackers take down Assassin's Creed

08/03/2010 4:57:00 PM

CBC News
Gamers playing Assassin's Creed 2 on their computers were locked out this weekend after hackers shut down servers required for the game to work.

Ubisoft, the game's publisher, on Monday confirmed it had been targeted by hackers waging a denial-of-service attack, which rendered Assassin's Creed 2 and lesser-known title Silent Hunter 5 unplayable over the weekend.

"Our servers didn't go down but five per cent of the overall people attempting to connect received denial of service errors," the company told website Ars Technica. "This is, of course, unacceptable and our teams are working around the clock to ensure it doesn't happen again."

Gamers swamped Ubisoft's online forums to complain about the outage, which they said was the result of a controversial move by the company to make certain games unplayable without an internet connection. Assassin's Creed 2, the company's latest smash hit, must be connected to the internet at all times in order to be played on a PC.

The same game on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 video game consoles, however, can be played with or without an internet connection. Gamers playing the console versions were unaffected by the outage.

Ubisoft enacted the connection requirement on PCs in an effort to stem pirated copies of the game from circulating. Only official games with embedded copy protection will work.

"We worry about our customers and apologize to anyone who couldn't play ACII or SH5 yesterday," the company said. "All in all, we hope people understand all this is done to preserve the future of PC gaming."

Assassin's Creed 2, which was designed primarily at Ubisoft's Montreal studio, was universally hailed by critics as one of the top games of 2009. In the game, players take on the role of Ezio Auditore, a revenge-bent assassin in Renaissance Italy.

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2010, 02:31:36 pm »
I took a little time to look at the STO system requirements...

I won't deny I'm intrigued, however, my graphics card and mem are not up to spec to play this game.  I'm on an older system - 7 year old, running WinXP.  I'm not ready mentally or financially to get a new system just to play a single game - even though it does look pretty cool.  Ironically if I DID get a Win7 system I "apparently" wouldn't be able to play OP anymore..... :(

You shouldn't need another comp just for a different OS other than XP.
I'm running it on a 3 yr old XP64 system. You basicly only need only the required processer speed, Video and RAM specs.
And a buddy of mine has STO on his XP system, not sure how old it is, but it's also not new by any means.
I know that may not help, but XP will run STO as long as you have the min specs.
And computers with XP on them are pretty cheap these days. ;)
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2010, 03:01:34 pm »
The Gamespy support ticket remains open and unread. I expect it will remain so.

Now I am seriously thinking of alternatives. I think a VPN solution might work as when running the directory server on the same lan as the dynaverse server and clients one is able to login with no internet connection at all. I did it once out in the woods to test stuff. I forget exactly how I did it but I'm reasonably sure I could do it again on a VPN.

That might be the best solution. Then we just give out Dynaverse.net VPN keys as required. Frey and I would have to do a little work to isolate the rest of the network or come up with a satisfactory VPN setup security-wise so that we do not need to worry about anything funky happening. Bandwidth overhead we'll have to live with (but I also have this hunch that the dyna will work on vista over a VPN)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2010, 03:08:23 pm »
That I would think would be a great test to do.   I would think the more we can get under our control the better as there are less variables out there then.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2010, 03:28:09 pm »
Hackers take down Assassin's Creed

From what I'm reading they kind of deserved it. The only place you can save a game is online? Only on the PC platform edition? I'd feel pretty burned. If Ubisoft paid me to save my singleplayer games on their servers for their study I'd be OK with it.

Offline Bartok

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2010, 10:12:26 am »
 :woot:

I just flew a planetary assault on The Forge!!

I've got the OCI on my fav's bar and occasionally check it - I like maps :)  Anyhow - I looked under "recent battles" and saw that Kane had flown on 3/11  which is today... so I fired up OP and sure enough....

Not sure what's changed - I know you were talking about a VPN, but maybe..... just maybe.... you (Bonk) didn't get a reply on your trouble ticket because they knew they were causing a problem with something they were doin on their end and that it would right itself soon...

Not bad though to continue to think of contingency plans so this 10 year old game can keep goin ;)

Cheers to All

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2010, 12:31:29 pm »
I flew a mission last night, lost contact with server when I finish the fight. But the list was still there so is my crappy internet connection

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2010, 03:11:43 pm »
Thanks for the updates guys.

Well, I guess the serverlist has reappeared as mysteriously as it disappeared.  >:(

I wish Gamespy would even just acknowledge our existence. Being summarily ignored does not motivate me in the least to use gamespy in ANY product I develop.

After this experience (second time they have completely ignored us), I hereby resolve to strip gamespy from the EAW update project.

Ignoring your customers is not how you run a good business.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2010, 08:56:52 am »
Give me a shout if we want one more reset on this setup.

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2010, 06:23:26 pm »
DO IT i know i havent been on much but its nice to fly when i have a chance

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2010, 08:45:38 pm »
Not gonna happen now. I think the horse is dead.

(and so is this horse - I don't take well to abuse. I won't take it.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:06:56 pm by Bonk »

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2010, 12:17:31 am »
I'm sorry to hear that. Well thank you for all the great servers you have put together for us. They were fun while they lasted.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2010, 04:28:23 pm »
I'm sorry to hear someone's been dumping on you. I would like the server to continue. We just got to the first generation X-ships.

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2010, 04:57:46 pm »
I would like it run  as well without reset.... :)

Link: ht

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2010, 08:16:56 pm »

Bonk,your the best and we just dont say that enough it seems that the grouches speek up more than the ones that apreceate all your hard work, I for one am guilty for not telling you how much your work means to the game and to me, man if I could I would pay you for the time you put in dude you are the man, (not to take anything away for the other talented folks we have here all of you do one hell of a job )

Thank you for all your time and trouble you put in.

Offline FPF-Paladin

• 'Thou shalt not CAD.' - DH
  • Lt.
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2010, 10:57:47 pm »
Yes, please do not reset... have some time to play  *excited*   :2gun:
~Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it. ~

Offline FPF-Paladin

• Lt.
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2010, 11:04:19 pm »
Hey Bonk, you still around the halifax area?
~Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it. ~

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2010, 09:29:10 pm »
Yes, and I think the server is back up. I just started it but have not tested a login. It is still not reset. 2313.1021 when I started it.

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2010, 04:50:40 am »

Bonk,your back thank the powers that be. we need ya Bonk you and you twisted mind of yours ;D

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2010, 12:23:44 pm »
Yes, and I think the server is back up. I just started it but have not tested a login. It is still not reset. 2313.1021 when I started it.

It's running fine. Hydrans are turning the forge to a lovely shade of purple.  8)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2010, 01:22:54 am »
I may have to reset soon. To eliminate The Forge as a source of instability on the server. I'm a little suspicious of having let it run this long...  (oh crap.. without a single db clean? I wonder how big it is...)

I will start with a db clean.

db cleaned. If the server freaks out again today I'll reset it. (though it may not be related at all)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:03:02 am by Bonk »

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2010, 09:13:12 pm »
Ran a mission. No issues. Good to see you back Bonk!  :)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2010, 12:47:47 pm »
Thanks for the report old man. ;)

Anybody want to design a new Forge map? You need to be intimately familiar with map requirements as we have empirically determined them (see Diz, NW and DH). It should be consistent with the original Forge theme (new unexplored area of space rich in resources). I have been lazy the last two runs with the "Home Fires" excuse for using a map I've been working on for years.

So, as a reset is inevitable soon, any thoughts on a new map? Frey may over-rule of course, so before you put any major effort in, run it by a few map experts and then Frey to see if he might like it.

Just some thoughts, as I'm too busy otherwise, we'll get Home Fires III (which is OK, I guess...).

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2010, 09:14:41 am »
Any thoughts? Or should I just go for another reset of this setup? (all I have time for really...)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2010, 10:50:41 am »
I have reset The Forge in an effort to stabilse the server.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2010, 01:22:39 pm »
I'm going to give it a few days before I bring The Forge back up. (again to help establish a stability baseline, but we expect it was hardware so we should be back to normal soon...).

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2010, 02:29:53 pm »
I think that was a DNS burp from the temp setup... anybody else get that? (server uber-loki has not rebooted, all processes well behaved... in fact, I am quite pleased with how the php fastcgi responded.) Maybe we can put The Forge back up tomorrow.

Offline Bartok

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2010, 09:10:16 am »
I think that was a DNS burp from the temp setup... anybody else get that? (server uber-loki has not rebooted, all processes well behaved... in fact, I am quite pleased with how the php fastcgi responded.) Maybe we can put The Forge back up tomorrow.

ThanX for keeping her going!!!  I may try and fly a couple again soon

Cheers

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
Re: The Forge - Home Fires II/III
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2010, 01:03:07 am »
Good to see you around!  :)

I put The Forge back up.  :moo:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:02:11 am by Bonk »

Offline Capt Jeff

• 1AF
  • Lt.
    • Facebook
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2010, 06:03:44 am »
Cool !    I think I'll get on there soon and see how rusty I am  ;)
Capt Jeff

Former SFC2.NET Administrator
C.O., Heavy Command Cruiser
USS Crasher NCC 1733

1AF---Friendship, Honor, Fun.  It's what we Play For.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2010, 12:09:07 pm »
I flew a mission this morning and could not believe how rusty I was. Absolutely shameful. Fluf would be disgusted.  ;D

Offline Farfarer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2010, 04:51:25 pm »
Bonk - I come to Halifax on business - beers on me for the Dynaverse Gratefulls - Maxwells? The Loose cannon? Something more evil?  Too bad _ i was recently ther for several days.
Never managed to get together with Skull, but if you (Bonez) read this, night of October 18th 2010 in Victoria. As I recall you liked that pub up from Bastion Square.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2010, 07:33:01 pm »
Far out. Tonight? I just got in but would head back out if you want to meet up for a beer. I'm quite at home at the Plum. I don't think there are any good evil pubs left. (i.e. the Shoe Shop ruined the Seahorse and we'll never see anything like the Deuce or The Crazy Horse again).

Offline Farfarer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2010, 07:45:23 pm »
Ah no, in the future. Will advise.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2010, 03:17:20 am »
Ah, cool. I was pooped anyway. With some warning maybe we can scare up Hexx and Paladin too? Just give me a few days warning if you have time. I'm pretty busy but time out for a beer and some fries or something would be good. That Ottawa meeting we had back in 99/00 was fun, I'd like to see something similar in Halifax. Not a big deal, just informal and relaxed (of course). Damn when was Halcon? Its coming up I think, or we just missed it...

aha! the 29th..... I should put something together if it is not too late... an SFC lan party there would surely garner some new players. An OP+ 4.1 beta to work with would be perfect... ;)  If I could have Dynaverse.net authorised copies of OP for distribution in hand that would be fricking awesome. (for a $15 contribution to the DGA with receipt)

Halcon 2010

Damn.... probably too late for this year, but now that it is back I should definitely plan for next year to do the DGA justice and come up with a good table and setup.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 03:30:22 am by Bonk »

Offline FPF-Paladin

• Lt.
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2010, 09:22:43 am »
I'd be so up for that.  I've wanted to meet you guys for ... a decade+   :o

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2011, 06:11:43 pm »
Fleet Assault mission does not work. Never has as far as I can tell talkuing to other players. Mission should be pulled.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2011, 06:40:47 pm »
Roger, I'll pass that on to Dave (I think that one is his and not stock?) and pull the mission with the next reset (is soon no?). Or if it is really in the way right now, I can get it pulled sooner.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2011, 06:58:05 pm »
It comes up rarely but is 100% guaranteed to crash and has always been a mandatory mission when I have seen it. It is not stock.

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2011, 08:18:56 pm »
also Edpatrol6 also is a automatic crash

Link: ht

Offline LordSaxon

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Honor before Fear.....
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »
Ed6 patrol might be bugged; when it started I was directy on top of the enemy who blasted me with shields down, then when I hit Red Alert it warped me off the map and mission ended. Havent seen the same mission again might have been a one-time error.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »
Roger that. Go ahead and logout/login to avoid those ones as necessary.

How soon do we want a reset? If not for a while then I can pull those missions, but it is much easier to do at a reset. (it's 2295 now)

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2011, 05:51:55 pm »

Good to know, thx guys - cracked open the eaw versions for an overhaul the other day (first one in years and years) and it's amazing how ugly your own code looks a few years down the road.   Feel free to blast me a message any time you see issues.

dave

Offline LordSaxon

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Honor before Fear.....
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2011, 03:49:07 pm »
Well I got drafted last night by DoctorLazarus, it counted all the way down and gave me a forfeit. Some things never change  :-[

Offline Doctor Lazarus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • By Grabthar's Hammer!
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2011, 07:23:20 pm »
I'm running windows XP. Perhaps you are not?

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2011, 09:15:36 am »

If he was not running XP, he wouldn't be playing online. ;)  Vista and WIN 7 are not compatable with online play with SFC.
Have your windows firewall off? Any softwware firewalls? Router firewalls?
That will interfere with drafting and being drafted if you do ;) It is an old issue.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Doctor Lazarus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • By Grabthar's Hammer!
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2011, 11:07:45 am »

If he was not running XP, he wouldn't be playing online. ;)  Vista and WIN 7 are not compatable with online play with SFC.
Have your windows firewall off? Any softwware firewalls? Router firewalls?
That will interfere with drafting and being drafted if you do ;) It is an old issue.

You can still get on dyna with vista and windows 7 and run missions. I believe Lucky has vista or 7 from the conversaation we had online a day or 2 ago. Synching up with other pilots is one of the issues from what I can recall reading from many months ago. I have flown with and against bartok and with Deadman 6 on this edition and past editions of the forge. I do not have the above issues thanks.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2011, 09:44:01 am »
Heads up on an upcoming reset for The Forge OP. (I know I've said that like three times already...) What are we in now - the Buck Rogers Era or what?  ;D

I will review this thread and pull the mission scripts with reported issues and update to OP+ 4.1.

Probably won't happen for another week or so yet though. I'll post when I do so.

Offline Capt Jeff

• 1AF
  • Lt.
    • Facebook
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2011, 11:23:04 am »
Cool, thanks !   I actually get on every so often and the X-ships were getting a bit boring.  I will have to comb through my models folder so I'm not throwing away any of my favorite models !  lol
Capt Jeff

Former SFC2.NET Administrator
C.O., Heavy Command Cruiser
USS Crasher NCC 1733

1AF---Friendship, Honor, Fun.  It's what we Play For.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
Re: The Forge - Home Fires II/III/IV
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2011, 08:49:43 am »
Server reset. Two missions pulled. Shiplist updated to OP+ 4.1. I haven't tested it myself yet. Need to download OP+ 4.1 myself!  ;D

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2011, 11:34:44 pm »
4.1 heh? Hm, well, well...nice to see the game live on still...
Shoot...maybe I should have read the notes on what's new...?  :-\
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2011, 11:48:56 am »
Funny, played SFC for the first time in months, and saw an old bug that used to be around years ago.
Bought a trusty D5D and went off to beat back that little Mirak Line some bastage started and noticed after every mission I have 13 pts of damage to repair, even when I wouldn't even get hit. Didn't matter if I ran 5 missions before returning to resuppy or just one, it was 13 pts to fix.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2011, 12:54:00 pm »
I think that might be a shiplist bug? Has the D5D changed from 4.0 at all?

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2011, 02:19:48 pm »
I think that might be a shiplist bug? Has the D5D changed from 4.0 at all?

Nope, no changes noted, didn't exactly compare the specs on hull, etc, but just by visual it still appears the same. 
It certainly still flies the same.  8)
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2011, 03:37:57 pm »
It still happens every so often, I've always played it as a structural defect that was there from launch, maybe it took a weapon hit to make it apparent, or maybe it was a weapon hit that inflicted damage that just can't be repaired.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Doctor Lazarus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • By Grabthar's Hammer!
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22:46 pm »
I was getting 8 points damage every mission in an SDF+. I switched ships and it stopped.

Offline Doctor Lazarus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • By Grabthar's Hammer!
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2011, 03:54:38 pm »
Bought another SDF+ today and got 8 damage points again. If I repaired it, 8 points showed up after next mission. If I didn't repair it, the damage stayed at 8.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2011, 08:56:04 pm »
I will double check my adjustment to the Damage Control rating (implemented to limit spares, roughly according to DieHard's formula). Perhaps there is an error. I ran OP+4 for so long I haven't made the spares adjustment in ages. Perhaps I missed a step or something when adjusting the serverside OP+4.1 shiplist. I will double check it and let you know.  (Thanks for the reports!)

Offline Ternado

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2011, 12:58:40 pm »
good work Bonk due to my  unstable conn myself my son and my grandson are all  ghosted.the cable company have been upgrading the lines for the last month and are supposed to be finshed today welcome to rural living they say.are nicknames are Ternado, greywolf, and malone.hate ask but can you fix them please.Ternado...

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2011, 01:58:28 pm »
Restarted The Forge service, you should be good to go now.

Offline Ternado

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2011, 02:55:51 pm »
 :) thanks Bonk you are the best

Offline EagleEye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2011, 09:34:04 pm »
What is "The Forge"??

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2011, 10:34:24 pm »
A Dynaverse 'world', or server

Offline EagleEye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2011, 08:41:39 am »
So is this actually using the Dyna or everyone plays out the battles and records them and then the map adjust?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2011, 10:57:48 am »
Yes, you can see some of the server details (map, economy, players) on the Online Campaign Interface (oci).

There is a list of currently active dynaverse servers for each sfc version here (5 minute refresh).

Offline Doctor Lazarus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • By Grabthar's Hammer!
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2011, 12:25:38 pm »
Hi, Gorn BB in Base assault NW's mission, (has warp feature) causes me to CTD at mission start.  I have flown fed BB and gorn DND in this same mission with no CTDs.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2011, 12:29:11 pm »
Hmmm... model bug in 4.1? Any changes to that ship? (or recall if it happened on OP+4.0 for that matter?)

Offline EagleEye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2011, 01:43:16 pm »
Ok so I have to be able to get in and play the Dyna to join this? Because I have Windows 7 and obviously can't get on the Dyna right now.

Offline Doctor Lazarus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • By Grabthar's Hammer!
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2011, 04:18:52 pm »
Hmmm... model bug in 4.1? Any changes to that ship? (or recall if it happened on OP+4.0 for that matter?)

Thinking it might have happenned in 4.0 but not certain.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2011, 04:23:52 pm »
Ok so I have to be able to get in and play the Dyna to join this? Because I have Windows 7 and obviously can't get on the Dyna right now.

Yeah, sadly for the time being you can't do dynaverse games for the short term.  But hope you will hang and play local games until you can log into the Dyna and join the conquests.

Offline EagleEye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2011, 09:24:33 pm »
Definitely gonna hang!!! I realize that if we don't stick together and wait it out until SFC can be what we want it to be then there won't be many of us to play SFC. So I am definitely gonna be here! ;)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2011, 01:19:56 am »
Good, good.  Glad to hear that.  I myself can't play on the Dyna either right now.  My new ISP does blocking so I can't get on, even tho I use both Vista and XP (linux also).  So deeper fixes are needed for me to play again.  But things are looking bright.

Offline EagleEye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2011, 10:17:25 am »
Yea I hate when ISP's make things tougher than they need to be.