Topic: The Forge - Home Fires II/III/IV  (Read 72488 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: The Forge - Home Fires II
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 05:00:52 pm »
I shall take a look. Sorry for the delay.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 05:53:09 pm »
It is listening again. There were no other servers up.

It was weird, I say "listening" because it seems it had grown deaf on the usual central switch port of 27100, but seems to be not so deaf on port 28100. It took a number of trials to determine this. (restarting all the services, testing a server at home on 27100 - fine). Anyway it seems to be working now. I'll have to check with Frey to see if anything has changed on the network.

Let me know if you still have troubles connecting. Again, apologies for the delay.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 08:56:39 am »
I just gave it a shot and no joy. No servers listed and refreshing was a bust as well.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 01:23:10 pm »
Crap... I'll reboot in XP and check. If it is now deaf on port 28100 I will move it to canada-east.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 02:20:26 pm »
Moved temporarily to Canada East while I try and figure out what happened on uber-loki. :huh: (OCI moved temporarily as well)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:02:21 am by Bonk »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 05:27:30 pm »
Now it does not appear on the list while running on Canada East. So it is not TheForge, but the directory server somehow. It was fine for ages... I wonder what changed yesterday?

It appears on the list after startup, but gets dropped at at some point for some reason... sigh, I may have to run a packet sniffer to find out what is going on... but if the firewall is dropping packets intended for the directory server I will not see them... I suppose that in itself would be a diagnosis. If I do not see packets arriving from the dyna server to the directory server on schedule then I know the firewall or something else is doing it.

Is the SFC3 serverlist showing any servers? Or has it fallen victim to this issue as well?

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 05:41:11 pm »
two reports in dyna 3 saying no servers being displayed.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 09:51:51 am »
Aw, frickin, frackin, %#*)W@%!! I hate mysterious and unexplained change!

It can't be running them as services that is the issue, they have been fine for months like that... I'll get in there and look for changes that may have happened on Friday. I hope it was not a windows update. That would suck. I'm hoping that some firmware on the network got updated and some settings missed or something like that...

Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out. I had ice coin plans for today...  >:(

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 10:03:25 am »
Something occurs to me... is SFC still supported by gamespy arcade? The directory servers depend on it too. I hope this is not the day I was afraid of...

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 10:13:08 am »
Something occurs to me... is SFC still supported by gamespy arcade? The directory servers depend on it too. I hope this is not the day I was afraid of...

I signed on today and saw another player in the SFC:OP lobby, so hopefully everything is alright as far as GSA goes. If it still works on GSA, does that mean it isn't an issue with the directory servers (and hopefully a smaller problem)? Appreciate the work Bonk  :).

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2010, 10:32:06 am »
Cool, thanks for checking. Call off the dogs, I've found the problem. Fix underway. I just need to get with Mr Frey and make sure we're on the same page with DNS. ;) (speaking of which I should hop on teamspeak and hangout today so I'm available...)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 10:58:46 am »
The Forge is back up and I see Strayy's Tavern is listed now as well.  :) Let me know here if the list wonks out again.

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 11:17:26 am »
just tried logging on and there is no list

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 11:47:14 am »
Arg! I'll take a look.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:06 am »
I had just tried at 12:54 eastern with no joy as well.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 05:07:44 pm »
Crap, an entire weekend gone and I have not figured out the problem. This is bad.  :(

Offline Bartok

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 08:05:12 pm »
Still no list - tho, I'm sure you'll get it Bonk...

If you had it working earlier today I'm sure it's not that dreaded day when Gamespy goes away..... at least I hope....

Is everyone playing STO now? 

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 11:28:00 pm »
I don't know about STO, but this could be it for the Dynaverse.  :(

I've got three suspicions at the moment
a) something has changed with the monitor and its probes are breaking the list.
b) someone has found an exploit and is vandalising our lists just for fun/revenge.
c) A dynaverse server description is using a character string that is breaking the list.

The timing seems to coincide with monitor probes. The list is good for about ten minutes then goes blank. No word from Frey yet (email and PM sent).

Really I have nothing. I have no idea what broke the serverlists on friday and why they remain broken.  :-[ :( >:(

edit: I have tried a bunch of stuff and I cannot figure it out. My next thought is to restrict the server versions that can connect to a new version and release a new serverkit build version number to match thus eliminating all old server versions... oh  but wait I can only do that for OP and and the rogue server could be EAW or SFC3... if there even is one. Dammit this sucks.

If someone has found an exploit for the directory servers I might be able to fix OP but not EAW or SFC3. (for lack of source)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:55:33 am by Bonk »

Offline Bartok

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 08:53:43 am »
Hey There Bonk....

Wow quite a conundrum.   :o

I'd hate to think option B could be real - vandalising the lists for "fun"  :'(  or revenge  :huh:   Why would someone do such a thing...

a and c both sound like reasonable suspicions, even with my lack of knowledge of the specific tech issues you're dealing with...

That you can get it to work for an interval b4 it "dies" again is telling.  If the interval remains consistent, hmmmm   I wish I could help!

I don't play EAW or SFC3 nemore, forgot that there might have been servers up on their lists.   Restricting the server versions and a new serverkit release sounds cumbersome and as you remark would only (probably) fix the OP issue - though I'd be okay with that:D  that's all i play - but that's selfish thinking on my part....

I hope it's the monitor probes and that Dynaverse isn't dead.....

ThanX for all your hard work!!!

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 09:12:59 am »
I've got three suspicions at the moment
a) something has changed with the monitor and its probes are breaking the list.
b) someone has found an exploit and is vandalising our lists just for fun/revenge.
c) A dynaverse server description is using a character string that is breaking the list.

Scary news ... but for c) does that mean that the in-game descriptions of the servers are messing things up, or am I reading it wrong? If that is the problem, they could just be erased and all the server info (like description and shiplist needed) for EAW, OP, and SFC3 could be kept in a sticky thread.